Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2014 12:00:13 AM EDT
So I found that my local FFL is selling suppressors at a great price from a local or near suppressors maker $395 for a 22LR suppressor and $595 around about for a 308 Win suppressor he did not have one up for the 223! Anyway its a good price got to see someone fire the weapon and it was quite! But 9 to 12 months for a check!! Come on really I was given top secret clearance in less time then that! Not sure if I should go through with this! As I'm not sure I will be living here in 9 to 12 months! Yet there is the chance I will so do I buy and take the gamble or wait?

I know I will not get a job in a state that is anti gun why I'm still in North Dakota! Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
9-12 months, that's cute....try 15-18 months (non E-Form, which is BS and dont even start my rant about how they are getting preferential treatment) I've been waiting for 10 months for one sent back in March, wait times have gone up ridiculously higher since then and since the panic of the trusts possibly needing CLEO sign offs.  I have a hard time dropping a fairly large chunk of money just to wait almost 2 years before I can take possession of MY FUCKING PROPERTY!!  Now an SBR, whatever, still not happy, but at least I got something in my hands in the mean time!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL Welcome to dealing with the federal government.

I deal with the VA all the time and it's like that with everything.  The federal government is just a big circus.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got mine from March 2013. If you can find someone that does E-File, definitely take advantage of that
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E-file is your friend.
View Quote

For how much longer, though?

I'm currently getting screwed by the exact situation OP fears -- having to move out of state while stamps are pending.  My 308 suppressor (currently 5 months into its wait) is likely going to be faced with a reset of the entire process.  I will try to E-File at that time, but by then (likely 60 days from now) who knows what the wait time on E-File applications will be up to?  Best case, it stays the same and it's a wash and I basically break even time-wise. Worst case, E-File wait times creep up and I lose time, but not as much a re-filing a paper application.

P.S. I spent an hour on the phone on Friday with the ATF trying to get answers (and they won't expedite unless you're special).  I found it hilarious that the lady on the phone tried to claim this is the first she's seen of this type of situation.  Really?!  With 75,000+ applications (her number, not mine) and over a 10+ month wait, nobody from that pool of people needs to live their lives and do everyday life things like finding new jobs and moving out of state?  Horse shit.

Be wary OP, be wary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm currently getting screwed by the exact situation OP fears -- having to move out of state while stamps are pending.  My 308 suppressor (currently 5 months into its wait) is likely going to be faced with a reset of the entire process.  I will try to E-File at that time, but by then (likely 60 days from now) who knows what the wait time on E-File applications will be up to?  Best case, it stays the same and it's a wash and I basically break even time-wise. Worst case, E-File wait times creep up and I lose time, but not as much a re-filing a paper application.

P.S. I spent an hour on the phone on Friday with the ATF trying to get answers (and they won't expedite unless you're special).  I found it hilarious that the lady on the phone tried to claim this is the first she's seen of this type of situation.  Really?!  With 75,000+ applications (her number, not mine) and over a 10+ month wait, nobody from that pool of people needs to live their lives and do everyday life things like finding new jobs and moving out of state?  Horse shit.

Be wary OP, be wary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

E-file is your friend.

Be wary OP, be wary.

So you called the ATF to expedite your paperwork because you're moving?

Get your head from the sand. The .gov doesn't give a shit about any of that. Your problem, not theirs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Be wary OP, be wary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
E-file is your friend.

Be wary OP, be wary.

If you look at some of the posts made by people in the same situation, they were able to contact their examiners directly and get help.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So you called the ATF to expedite your paperwork because you're moving?
View Quote

Reading comprehension...  Bueller?

No, I called to ask them about the best way to handle moving out of state while certain forms pending.  During that discussion, the subject of expedition did come up and was clarified.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you look at some of the posts made by people in the same situation, they were able to contact their examiners directly and get help.
View Quote

I know.  The lady I spoke with was adamant that applicants absolutely cannot speak directly with examiners because, "they're too busy".  So, it resulted in nothing but a lot of being placed on hold while she relayed questions back and forth to a "manager".  She did not leave me with a lot of confidence since she would rarely let me complete a sentence, and when she did, she seemed to be confused as to what I was saying/asking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/09/foghorn/ask-foghorn-moving-states-while-waiting-for-nfa-paperwork/
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/09/foghorn/ask-foghorn-moving-states-while-waiting-for-nfa-paperwork/
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
$395 for a locally made .22lr can?

That's the cost of class-leading .22lr cans from nationally-known manufacturers.  Think long and hard about that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]
$400 for a .22 can made by a local shop sounds crazy to me.  You can get a sparrow or spectre for cheaper. But yea the wait time sucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$395 for a locally made .22lr can?

That's the cost of class-leading .22lr cans from nationally-known manufacturers.  Think long and hard about that.
View Quote

Yeah I saw that.   That's a lot for what is likely freeze plugs or washers.

This is a good lesson why it is a good idea to do your homework and buy the best can you can get your hands on.  Because the gov has you by the balls for a long time
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Welcome to NFA land. The wait times are long.

Keep submitting forms. It helps I think.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Be wary OP, be wary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
E-file is your friend.

Be wary OP, be wary.

What happens if you're moving within state? I have a form 4 stamp due about June but may have to move a bit before that, what do I do?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait, 9-12 months now?

I just started looking into getting another suppressor (last one was bought in 08) and people were quoting 9 months for approval.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wait, 9-12 months now?

I just started looking into getting another suppressor (last one was bought in 08) and people were quoting 9 months for approval.
View Quote

Find a dealer who E Files.  Mine was submitted 10/28/13 and approved today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait, 9-12 months now?

Definitely efile. I sent a paper form off in mid/late March. Still don't have the stamp.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Definitely efile. I sent a paper form off in mid/late March. Still don't have the stamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait, 9-12 months now?

Yep. Sent paper form in last Jan, still do not have it back.
eFiled first week of December, probably have that back sooner.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#22]
This efile system is bullshit........there is no reason it should be any quicker or slower than the other way.....unless they are bumping other people out of the way, or the efile system bypasses certain steps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This efile system is bullshit........there is no reason it should be any quicker or slower than the other way.....unless they are bumping other people out of the way, or the efile system bypasses certain steps.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I figured the e-file was basically you doing half of the work for them. I have one more paper form 4 from last April, the rest of my stuff is e-filed from November & December. I'll be e-filing everything else from here on out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#25]
So there is still no way for a individual to take advantage of eforms right? Can my dealer efile a form 4 for me even though I don't have a trust/corp?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So there is still no way for a individual to take advantage of eforms right? Can my dealer efile a form 4 for me even though I don't have a trust/corp?
View Quote

Negative ghostrider. Da gubment would have to accept photos and fingerprints via online...which they don't.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Negative ghostrider. Da gubment would have to accept photos and fingerprints via online...which they don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey ATF, the '90s called. They want their technology back.

Oh and PLEASE dont shoot my dog
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed. I would like to add once more that it is total bullshit I have to wait 4 times as long as a trust.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In state, it doesn't matter. You need to be a state resident to pick up a suppressor, and put your current address on the 4473 (which needs to match your ID).

The issue is when people move out of state with a pending Form 4, because they're no longer a state resident when they come back to pick it up, therefore the FFL can't transfer it to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happens if you're moving within state? I have a form 4 stamp due about June but may have to move a bit before that, what do I do?

In state, it doesn't matter. You need to be a state resident to pick up a suppressor, and put your current address on the 4473 (which needs to match your ID).

The issue is when people move out of state with a pending Form 4, because they're no longer a state resident when they come back to pick it up, therefore the FFL can't transfer it to them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can I add a trustworthy and local friend who is not moving out of state anytime soon, as a new trustee to the trust while the Form 4 is pending?  When the Form 4 is approved, said trustee can pick it up from the dealer?  Or does the person who filed the Form 4 have to pick it up?  I'm just looking for legal angles that would allow me to keep my current place in line.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed. I would like to add once more that it is total bullshit I have to wait 4 times as long as a trust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's total bullshit is that many legal entities that purchase NFA items will no longer be able to do so should 41P take effect.

They need to figure out a way to leverage this system to speed up all applications, including electronic submission of fingerprints. The CLEO system needs to be removed completely and SOTs using the E-Form system should be able to obtain and submit fingerprints electronically.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What's total bullshit is that many legal entities that purchase NFA items will no longer be able to do so should 41P take effect.

They need to figure out a way to leverage this system to speed up all applications, including electronic submission of fingerprints. The CLEO system needs to be removed completely and SOTs using the E-Form system should be able to obtain and submit fingerprints electronically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will accept a valid trust that is scanned in, but they can't accept a certified fingerprint card scanned and attached to the form... It makes no sense.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#33]
What really makes no sense is submitting a million different cards in the first place. We have all submitted multiple cards and there is no need to waste so many.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What really makes no sense is submitting a million different cards in the first place. We have all submitted multiple cards and there is no need to waste so many.
View Quote

It's because your fingerprints change
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Everything I have E filed has been back within 3 1/2 months. I expect two cans and an SBR by next week.....
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#36]
We are losing sight of the big picture here.  These approvals should be done in a matter of a couple of weeks, if not a couple of days.  Considering we are paying $200 for this, they need to staff the ATF according to the demand.  

Someone needs to step in and say that after 30 days it defaults to approved.  No sane person can look at a simple process of reviewing paperwork and think that 6+ months is acceptable.  Somehow we need to apply pressure so that the ATF is properly staffed to handle the load.

Obviously the wait time is a huge deterrent and I think that is exactly what the current administration wants.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Obviously the wait time is a huge deterrent and I think that is exactly what the current administration wants.
View Quote

Of course it is.

So, who/what is the mythical entity that's going to step in and force the hand of .gov to do something more than it already is?  While I'd love to see that happen, as I sure many others would as well, I just don't think it's realistic.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I called today to check on some items. They are still quoting 9 months from pending date (approximately 11 months from check cashed date).
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We are losing sight of the big picture here.  These approvals should be done in a matter of a couple of weeks, if not a couple of days.  Considering we are paying $200 for this, they need to staff the ATF according to the demand.  

Someone needs to step in and say that after 30 days it defaults to approved.  No sane person can look at a simple process of reviewing paperwork and think that 6+ months is acceptable.  Somehow we need to apply pressure so that the ATF is properly staffed to handle the load.

View Quote

The problem is people are not going to push this issue because it may bite us in the ass.

BATFE might say, sure, we'll make the default time for approval 30 days.

BUT we are also going to have the $200 Tax stamp (from 1934) adjustable for inflation. Whammo! Tax stamp now $3400.

Most people can afford both the $200 and 9 month wait. Not so many people will be able to afford $3400 to reduce that 9 months to 30 days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Of course it bypasses steps.  Think about it...there is no manual handling of forms by ANYONE during the entire process.  No payments to process, no stacking, no data entry, etc.  They should take less time because there is less work to process them.  While your paper form is waiting "in the pile" to be initially looked at the eForm gets put in line ahead of yours since it is processed immediately.

Computers eliminate manual labor which improves their speed of processing and approval.  As an examiner which would you rather do.  Wade through a stack of paper or pop up another screen on your computer where everything is nicely organized?

I'd be willing to bet they eliminate over half of labor involved with approving a form by having it submitted via eForm's.  It is probably more than that actually.

Another thing to think about is that now they have your Trust on file and can look at your history and see that you have already had items approved using that Trust so in theory they could start to eliminate the extra wait time involved when people have submitted forms that have been previously approved with the same Trust.  That probably won't happen but it could now with all of the data available on a computer screen for them to look at.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The problem is people are not going to push this issue because it may bite us in the ass.

BUT we are also going to have the $200 Tax stamp (from 1934) adjustable for inflation. Whammo! Tax stamp now $3400.

Most people can afford both the $200 and 9 month wait. Not so many people will be able to afford $3400 to reduce that 9 months to 30 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since it's a TAX, only an act of Congress can change it. ATF has no authority over the amount of the stamp, thank God!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF can't change the amount of the tax stamp.  Only Congress can do that which isn't going to happen at this point in time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The ATF can't change the amount of the tax stamp.  Only Congress can do that which isn't going to happen at this point in time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, and if they did, it would only go up...

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a perfect world, sure. The Government does things it is not supposed to do every day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In a perfect world, sure. The Government does things it is not supposed to do every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's something they actually cannot do and there's no if, ands, or buts about it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just my guess, presently there are fewer efile applications to process vs. tons of paper applications. BATFE has x number of examiners assigned to efile and the workload is (not yet) materialized. This is just a guess, I can be full of it but it sounds like dot gov to assign a bunch of workers to a new system before it gets rolling.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#47]
The other point is that even as individuals you will still reap some benefits of the e-file system as Form 3s are now taking 3-4 weeks versus 3-4+ months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#48]
The tax WAS a deterrent when $200 was a lot of money.  Now its the wait.  

An arbitrary tax and excessive wait is an infringement and clearly unconstitutional.  Who has the balls to do the right thing and fight it?  

Eform or paper doesn't matter.  1 week max for approval.   Shit, they can approve 1000's of regular gun insta-checks a day within a matter of seconds.  Don't tell me it can't be done.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Shit, they can approve 1000's of regular gun insta-checks a day within a matter of seconds.  Don't tell me it can't be done.  
View Quote

Maybe for you. I've gotten a delay of anywhere from five minutes to a full day every single time except once in the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe for you. I've gotten a delay of anywhere from five minutes to a full day every single time except once in the past 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit, they can approve 1000's of regular gun insta-checks a day within a matter of seconds.  Don't tell me it can't be done.  

Even then I'm cool with a day or two. Doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't take any longer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top