Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 7:30:53 AM EDT
So I finally did the paperwork to set up a Trust for my family.   Since I don't have the coin right now to drop $1000 plus on a suppressor, I planned on moving my suppressor from an Individual (me) to the Trust in order to "activate" the trust.  Since that is only $200 and I can still use it during the long wait.  I'm seeing a lot of "efile" things going on and was curious...is there a way to efile this?
This would be my first item on a Trust so is a snail mail the only route or can I find a FFL dealer who can send this off?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Find an FFL that e-files.  You, as an individual, cannot e-file Form 4's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
...whoops
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
you don't really need to "activate" a trust. the trust just needs to hold some sort of property (based on your state law this may vary). i used a 10 dollar bill to accomplish this but i imagine it could be virtually anything. i am not a lawyer so, YMMV

why waste that 200 bucks moving the suppressor you already have a stamp for, to a trust?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

why waste that 200 bucks moving the suppressor you already have a stamp for, to a trust?

View Quote

The obvious benefits of having a NFA trust
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you don't really need to "activate" a trust. the trust just needs to hold some sort of property (based on your state law this may vary). i used a 10 dollar bill to accomplish this but i imagine it could be virtually anything. i am not a lawyer so, YMMV

View Quote

Well, you do need to execute it, but I would assume h's already done that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If you feel the need to execute it put a ten dollar bill on it. Most send off a copy of a trust without it having anything or maybe the lower for an SBR, then add items as the stamps are received to the Schedule A.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm new to Trusts so forgive me if my lingo isn't correct. But I just want to make my Trust active or execute it. I thought I needdd to have an NFA item in it to make it official. I just want to be potentially grandfathered in if rules change  soon and take advantage of efiling for future purchases.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I think any assign contribution with the required paperwork will do.  $1, $10, anything.   Read over your trust doc to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The answer depends on if your trust is a gun or NFA trust or if its a revocable living trust... Mine is a revocable living trust (not just created for guns) and I used one US dollar to execute mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
A dealer can't help you with this. I replied to your thread in the Ohio HTF.  You can fund your trust with anything, but to move you suppressor you need to do it the old fashioned way.  Since the form would be from you to your trust it has nothing to do with a 3rd party dealer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
In my opinion, spending $200 to move a suppressor you already own into a trust you are grantor if is an utter waste of money.

Put other items of value in it and wait until you are ready to purchase a new NFA item.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
$10 works just the same...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The answer depends on if your trust is a gun or NFA trust or if its a revocable living trust... Mine is a revocable living trust (not just created for guns) and I used one US dollar to execute mine.
View Quote

A trust is a trust.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my opinion, spending $200 to move a suppressor you already own into a trust you are grantor if is an utter waste of money.

Put other items of value in it and wait until you are ready to purchase a new NFA item.
View Quote

This. Unless you want other people to have access to it when you are not present.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top