Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 7:29:08 AM EDT
Im looking into getting my first suppressor. Going to go with a 7.62 for a bolt gun, and also want to run it on a 5.56 SBR. Have read a few things about the new Specwar. Does anyone have any first hand experience with it? Any negatives? How is the point of impact shift?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably the best value in rifle cans right now.

Here is the thing about NFA... It's not cheap, don't be cheap, you'll pay now or you'll pay later, either in the can or mounts or whatever, it'll cost you, these are LIFETIME purchases, remember that. That said there are good deals and the Specwar is one.

Here is the other thing about rifle cans... They all sound about the fucking same. So on that note, when you buy a rifle can you are buying first and foremost a mounting system. Buy a heavy or loose mounting system or a questionable one (most, but specifically YHM, AAC, and others) and you're setting yourself up for dissapointment. Either that the mount is hard to install, hard to remove (carbon locks), is perpetually loose meaning worse accuracy, doesn't have a good range of flash or brake options, etc etc.

Right now, the rifle ONLY can's I'd even come close to recommending are:

Specwar
+ Great lockup
+ Inexpensive
- Heavier
- External teeth on mount

Saker
+ Modular (fine for 97% of use)
+ Great Lockup
- No 762 option yet

Sufire Socom series
+ Great Lockup
+ Newest military orders/usage
- Price

If you can stand a little extra weight, the Specwar is a great option for 556 to 300 magnum. Has a very good mounting system which means EVERY mount will lock up tight as it should no need to modify or deal with tolerances. Has brake and flash hider options. And is comparatively inexpensive, even to worse options (762SDN6). It's also from SWR/Silencerco which has a great rep for service, very much unlike some others
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^ 100% what this guy said.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
you are gonna get a ton of "hell yeah" responses from people who dont yet own the can you are talking about.

just remember, you get what you pay for

i would check out silencer talk also, every manufacture has a section for questions comments complaints
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Customer service with swr/silencer co seems to be top notch as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
^^^^ this right here! One of the reasons why I went with the Specwar 762 and not the AAC SDN-6...price point did also play a small factor as well
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Customer service with swr/silencer co seems to be top notch as well.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Artimus009 Have you had a chance to use the Specwar yet, or is it in ATF jail for now?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Artimus009 Have you had a chance to use the Specwar yet, or is it in ATF jail for now?
View Quote

I'm almost certain nobody has one in their hands yet.  It was released much later than the 556 version.  Given current wait times and the 762 release date, I don't think anyone would/could have one yet (though, we may be getting close).  Maybe someone who got lucky with an E-File application?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh OK, Thanks! I didn't realize that. I guess that's why there aren't many reviews yet
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:Artimus009 Have you had a chance to use the Specwar yet, or is it in ATF jail for now?
View Quote

My dealer has one, very low serial, I've shot it. Sounds fine. Especially when you understand to the ear they all sound about the same, and that even a 6db difference is going to be mostly only meter-perceivable. Don't get me wrong, you can hear a slight difference in tone and volume, but only if you are head to head comparing them.

None are hearing safe on semis. The goal isn't to make it as silent as possible, it's to knock off the blast and make it not sound so violent as a gun shot. They all do that for the most part. You're paying for a mounting system and reliable operation when it comes to rifle cans.

I make fun of the Gemtech and YHM cans, but in reality they are fine for most people. I wouldn't buy either of those. I wouldn't buy an AAC 51T at all. I wouldn't buy the KAC NT4. Those all have issues here or there with their mounting for my uses.

I can't understand why people don't realize these are LIFETIME PURCHASES. The Specwar has one minor con that it has fine-ish external teeth on the mount, and it has a major con that it's 24oz without considering the mount. BUT.... It's a very tight lockup, reliable, and it's very cost effective. I wouldn't choose one for me because after mounting system, weight in the second most important factor in a rifle can, but I certainly see the appeal and sold a buddy on one.

I thought in person it sounded good. But the mounting system was easy, fast, and tight. Used it on a heavy bolt gun so the weight didn't even sort of matter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My LGS just started to do the efile thing...they had one in stock a couple of months ago...I was impatient and wanted to check out another local place to see if they are doing efile. Came back and it was sold

Had them order one for me...now I'm kicking myself in the nuts.

Just waiting for that form 3 to clear and start my form 4.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I've gotten some run time with one and it is nice. Mount is solid and it is not as heavy as I thought it would be. I am 2 months on me eFile for mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone says that the Specwar is heavy, but from what ive found its only like 5 more ounces than the Surefire Socom 7.62, i just dont see how 5 more ounces can make that much difference. But im no expert.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everyone says that the Specwar is heavy, but from what ive found its only like 5 more ounces than the Surefire Socom 7.62, i just dont see how 5 more ounces can make that much difference. But im no expert.
View Quote

I have a socom 762-RC in hand. It's about the heaviest that would work for me. Remember, none of the mfgs weight their cans with the mounts. So add 4oz for a typical mount. Specwar is a good can, but 5oz at the end of the barrel is like 1lb in the middle of the gun. For 90% of people it doesn't matter and I'd still recommend it. For a guy that wants to run it on a 556 SBR, well, I don't know about that, occasional use for sure but I'm definitely seeing the value in the mini cans which I'm aware are even more niche.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top