Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2013 1:55:11 PM EDT
Just bought two cans from Silencer Shop.

I have a choice of three dealers:

1. Is in my city.  Does paper forms only.  He will go ahead with paperwork with serial numbers from Silencer Shop and send them in.
$75 per can.

2.  Is about 45 minutes away.  Paper forms only.  He will only do paperwork after transfer to him is approved.  This will take 3-4 weeks longer than first option above.
$50 per can.

3.  Is about 65 minutes away.  Will do electronic forms.
$100 per can.

According to the fine folks at Silencer Shop, electronic forms can reduce wait times by up to nine weeks.

Are eforms so new that we don't actually know how much faster they are, or are they really reducing wait times?

If I can save two months or so, that's probably worth $100 to me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take #2 for $50....Alex.

Cuz' I'm cheap and I figure I've waited this long, what's a few more weeks.  Truthfully, I tend to forget about my purchases and mentally block them out of my mind.

Just like Drago said, "If he dies, he dies."  I like to think, "When it is approved, it's approved".
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My can came from SilencerShop to Tampa FL in roughly a month give or take a day or 2
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
eForms are only taking about 90 days for approval.  So that actually knocks 6-8 months off of the wait with paper forms.  You decide.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
eForms are only taking about 90 days for approval.  So that actually knocks 6-8 months off of the wait with paper forms.  You decide.
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
How are e-forms being processed that quickly?

Mine went pending in freaking August and I'm still not supposed to get it back until May.

So you are saying if I re-file with an e-form I'll get it before may?

If so I'm in for sure just tell me how.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
BATFE is now quoting 4 months for eForms when you call them on the phone.  I've got 3 eForms back in just over 90 days each filed at different times.  Everyone I know that has done an eForm has gotten it back in just over 90 days.  They are not testing shit.  They are approving forms.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got 2 back - 94 days from start to finish:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/412836_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
GreenGoose, can you give me a start date for your time line?

i started in early September going through Silencer Shop and am excited by what i've read here tonight!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
OP there is a ton of bad information in this thread.  Without getting into a pissing contest with others it would behoove you to use eforms.  It will cut your wait time waaaaay down.....most likely 90 day turnaround.  Be wary of the normal gunshop bullshit about having the "inside" scoop from the ATF.  The fact is eforms if MUCH quicker.  Some guys are just don't know how to use eform.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

1. Is in my city.  Does paper forms only.  He will go ahead with paperwork with serial numbers from Silencer Shop and send them in.
$75 per can.

2.  Is about 45 minutes away.  Paper forms only.  He will only do paperwork after transfer to him is approved.  This will take 3-4 weeks longer than first option above.
$50 per can.

$100 per can.

According to the fine folks at Silencer Shop, electronic forms can reduce wait times by up to nine weeks.

Are eforms so new that we don't actually know how much faster they are, or are they really reducing wait times?

View Quote

Dealer #1 can't do forms until the cans are there anyway.  The ATF hasn't approved the transfer to his SOT yet. How he'd get a F4 started when he's not the transferring dealer yet is beyond me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dealer #1 can't do forms until the cans are there anyway.  The ATF hasn't approved the transfer to his SOT yet. How he'd get a F4 started when he's not the transferring dealer yet is beyond me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$75 per can.

$50 per can.

$100 per can.

I have been told that it's been done.  Shop provides the serial numbers to SOT, and SOT fills out form 4 and sends it in.

I am going to go eform anyway, so I will wait until transfer to SOT and then we go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i started in early September going through Silencer Shop and am excited by what i've read here tonight!
View Quote

If you filed eForm in early September then you will be approved any day now.  All eForms have been approved in less than 100 days.  Most right at 90.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SOME Eforms have been approved in 3-4 months. We have no indication that ALL Eforms will be approved in 3-4 months.

Several people have been in contact with the NFA branch and have been told the fast approvals were due to the examiners testing the new Eform system to make sure everything was working correctly. They have implied that now that those tests are over, approval times will be back to several months.

On top of that, the Eform system has started to snowball with new applications now that everyone is jumping on board. My guess is that Eforms will only save 6-8 weeks vs paper forms. I wouldn't bother canceling an application just to resubmit it on Eforms. At least, not until we see a lot more approvals and have a better idea of the exact wait times.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I spoke personally with one of the examiners who has signed a lot of the eforms - he told me directly "we are trying to process eforms in 90 days"

He had a question about my trust.

I'll take his word on it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you only use eforms for trusts and incs?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Correct - Only with trusts / corporations...
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's great if it holds up. The ATF/NFA has also stated that they try to process paper forms within 6 months......

I guess I'm just skeptical of any information regarding NFA wait times, considering that they're often inaccurate, and can vary wildly depending on who answers the phone at the NFA office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spoke personally with one of the examiners who has signed a lot of the eforms - he told me directly "we are trying to process eforms in 90 days"

That's great if it holds up. The ATF/NFA has also stated that they try to process paper forms within 6 months......

I guess I'm just skeptical of any information regarding NFA wait times, considering that they're often inaccurate, and can vary wildly depending on who answers the phone at the NFA office.

Understandable.

only reason I implied any weight behind my view is that he called me.

In reality we should spend less time bickering about it (i'm guilty) and say, "If its 90 days - hell yes" and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Understandable.

In reality we should spend less time bickering about it (i'm guilty) and say, "If its 90 days - hell yes" and hope for the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understandable.

Amen brother!  The naysayers can say all they want and mail their paper forms.  I'm an eForming bitch!  
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#21]
So here is my question. The ATF help line wasn't much help.

I have my form1 pending in the system with an approval date they are giving me in MAY

I want to know if I should go ahead and efile a new form 1 and either cancel the paper form 1 or what I was thinking of doing is just leaving both active then once one gets approved cancel the other.

The problem with that is I wonder if the ATF will say hey there are 2 forms with the same serial # and then hold up both or if it's even possible.
I don't mind paying an extra $200 if it means I get my approval back 3 months sooner.

Now here is my other concern/thinking. Yes efile was at 3 months when it started but let's assume tons more people are doing it now, so it would probably mean approvals are taking 4 months by efile now. Then add in that my paper form 1 they HAVE hired a bunch of new approvers and over the months ahead those guys are going to get up to speed and hopefully start moving quicker. So maybe instead of 6 months my paper form takes 5 or if I'm really lucky 4 months.

I'm probably over thinking this but I just want my damn approval back! LOL. I put it in all the way back on 6/22. So that means that I'll be looking at an 11 month wait time. I'm happy for the 3 month efilers but it makes me sick that I've still potentially got 6 months left.

So to re-cap:
1. Leave it alone and suck it up
2. Put in the efile and cancel the paper form 1
3. Put in the efile and leave the paper form 1 and wait till 1 gets approved.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Sadly my gut says that in dealing with the ATF don't fuck around and make waves and I'm just gonna have to suck it up and go with option #1 and hope my theory of the new approvers bringing down the time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We are E-forming everything that can be E-formed at this point, so I'm not a naysayer.

I've just learned not to quote optimistic wait times to customers (or to posters on this forum) when it comes to NFA items, because they often don't hold up. We were quoting 6 months back in December and January, when they were actually taking 6 months to approve stuff. But now we still have pending Form 4s from January that have taken 10+ months and counting. And I get to answer the phone about 4-5 times a day with people wondering how much longer it's going to be before their form is approved.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amen brother!  The naysayers can say all they want and mail their paper forms.  I'm an eForming bitch!  

We are E-forming everything that can be E-formed at this point, so I'm not a naysayer.

I've just learned not to quote optimistic wait times to customers (or to posters on this forum) when it comes to NFA items, because they often don't hold up. We were quoting 6 months back in December and January, when they were actually taking 6 months to approve stuff. But now we still have pending Form 4s from January that have taken 10+ months and counting. And I get to answer the phone about 4-5 times a day with people wondering how much longer it's going to be before their form is approved.....

Don't tell your customers about this thread
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So here is my question. The ATF help line wasn't much help.

I have my form1 pending in the system with an approval date they are giving me in MAY

I want to know if I should go ahead and efile a new form 1 and either cancel the paper form 1 or what I was thinking of doing is just leaving both active then once one gets approved cancel the other.

The problem with that is I wonder if the ATF will say hey there are 2 forms with the same serial # and then hold up both or if it's even possible.
I don't mind paying an extra $200 if it means I get my approval back 3 months sooner.

Now here is my other concern/thinking. Yes efile was at 3 months when it started but let's assume tons more people are doing it now, so it would probably mean approvals are taking 4 months by efile now. Then add in that my paper form 1 they HAVE hired a bunch of new approvers and over the months ahead those guys are going to get up to speed and hopefully start moving quicker. So maybe instead of 6 months my paper form takes 5 or if I'm really lucky 4 months.

I'm probably over thinking this but I just want my damn approval back! LOL. I put it in all the way back on 6/22. So that means that I'll be looking at an 11 month wait time. I'm happy for the 3 month efilers but it makes me sick that I've still potentially got 6 months left.

So to re-cap:
1. Leave it alone and suck it up
2. Put in the efile and cancel the paper form 1
3. Put in the efile and leave the paper form 1 and wait till 1 gets approved.

Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Sadly my gut says that in dealing with the ATF don't fuck around and make waves and I'm just gonna have to suck it up and go with option #1 and hope my theory of the new approvers bringing down the time.
View Quote

I had a paper form 4 sent in October by Silencer Shop.  They were afraid to eForm during the government shutdown.  I already got my eForm 1 for the SBR approved with the suppressor 8-10 months out.    I've decided just to leave it alone.  It's like when you take the short line at the supermarket and then for some reason it takes for ever.  Just eForm everything from here on out.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
To the OP...  B&H Gun Sales in Merritt Island does E-File.  Matt stocks a lot of suppressors and he may have what you want in stock.  If he does it will save you time and money.

As for the E-File discussion.  Matt just told me he was hearing from a few dealers that E-Firms were coming back in 12 weeks but he also didn't make me any promises.  I am not expecting to see my cans anytime before the end of summer 2014 but I won't bitch if I get them in January either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you filed eForm in early September then you will be approved any day now.  All eForms have been approved in less than 100 days.  Most right at 90.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well i'm sure you're right. i faxed in my trust then faxed in the sig pages as my sons were in town and available to sign. i was told by one employee that this was fine but when i spoke with Paul yesterday afternoon he said, wrongo, they've been sitting there for three months!!
i went to kinkos and scanned them and emailed them to Paul as requested and he said they'd be on the atf's desk five minutes after he got them. i hope he's right.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

well i'm sure you're right. i faxed in my trust then faxed in the sig pages as my sons were in town and available to sign. i was told by one employee that this was fine but when i spoke with Paul yesterday afternoon he said, wrongo, they've been sitting there for three months!!
i went to kinkos and scanned them and emailed them to Paul as requested and he said they'd be on the atf's desk five minutes after he got them. i hope he's right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like Silencershop was waiting on your trust?  If so, it couldn't have been efiled until yesterday when they received it.  If that's the case, then you have a 3-4 month wait.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Paul wrote this morning and said he efiled it this morning, so 3-4 months, huh?
Oh well, what the hell!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#30]

SWR Spectre II
Purchased: 22Mar13
Availability: ???
Form 3 transfers: ???

Form 4 Sent:   20Sept13 (efiled to BATF)  
BATF Check Cashed:  ???  
Pending:       ???
Approved:    06Dec13

any idea of the timeframe before I can pick it up??
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks!

It would be nice if BATF would send a stamp that can be pasted to the Form 4 though.
But whatever is legal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The ATF does not mail a paper copy of the form if it's submitted via E-Forms.
View Quote

That pisses me off...  I paid $200 for that fracking stamp.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Keep the stamp, give me the approved app and my can!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#35]
My FFL said he could not start the Form 4 until he received the can, is this correct or is he just being overly cautious?  Form 3 has already been submitted e file about 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My FFL said he could not start the Form 4 until he received the can, is this correct or is he just being overly cautious?  Form 3 has already been submitted e file about 3 weeks ago.
View Quote

This is true.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got my eForm approval email today for a form 1.  93 days start to finish.

Form 1 efiled 9/6/13
Trust in FL
Approved 12/9/13

I have another form 1 I did the paper route, submitted in April 2013 on the same trust...and still pending.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#38]
NFA Tracker Trend Graph

Blue dots are paper forms, red ones are e-filed. A picture really does say a thousand words.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
NFA Tracker Trend Graph

Blue dots are paper forms, red ones are e-filed. A picture really does say a thousand words.
View Quote

Something tells me that red line won't stay flat.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Can't find it, but I could have sworn there was a thread on the e-forms relating to initial quick turn around time because of testing new system, and supposedly the ATF is no longer fast tracking them.  

I don't even remember who posted this information, but for the folks who have e-filed I hope this is wrong.  

Maybe Tony can confirm or deny this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can't find it, but I could have sworn there was a thread on the e-forms relating to initial quick turn around time because of testing new system, and supposedly the ATF is no longer fast tracking them.  
View Quote

Not sure if it was a thread or not, but that is the word I heard.

In order to find errors now and fix them (rather than have 10 months of e-forms queued up and find out later), they did a 30-45 day test run and if it works - then e-forms just go to the bottom of the pile.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

In order to find errors now and fix them (rather than have 10 months of e-forms queued up and find out later), they did a 30-45 day test run and if it works - then e-forms just go to the bottom of the pile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF is quoting 4 month turnaround time for eforms when you call... I don't think they would say that if it was just a test. I think it's fair to expect 93 days from submitted to approved.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't even remember who posted this information, but for the folks who have e-filed I hope this is wrong.  

Maybe Tony can confirm or deny this?
View Quote

They is false.  They are still approving tons of eforms every day.  Just check nfatracker and read these forum boards for proof.  I've received three eforms back approved so far.  They are not testing anything.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Now that there are 70,000 eforms in the system, we're all fucked.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#45]
OP Fook them all.  Find some one who will do them for less than $50.  You don't have to drive to them but twice.  Once when it comes in and once when you go to pick it up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just sent mine in last night
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I see the eForm time line going to to 4 or 5 months.  I also see the wait for Paper forms dropping and ending up around 5 or 6 months.  

So it will be close.

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top