Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 11:38:24 AM EDT
Title says it all but I have the ability to grab this and am curious if it is worth it over the SOCOM series?  It would be going on a 11.5" upper with standard fixed FSB.

Thoughts?

ETA: My concern is with the 15 month wait times that I will be unhappy with it after I finally get it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
SOCOM is instock and cheaper at silencer shop.  

I guess its all a question of whether you can get the form 4 going today or if you want to add a few months with the form 3 transfer...  

I've got a 556-212 that I run on a 10.3", 16" and 20" and I love the suppressor if that helps at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe I forgot to check with them...duh!

Thanks for the feedback on yours though.  

After researching more I may think about the 762MINI since I have a 300BLK too and it would work on the 5.56 too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid $1314 + $117.60 tax = $1431.60 for my 556-212 in January of this year.  It wasn't the best price, but it was in stock, on the shelf, at a local dealer.  I was willing to pay a bit of a premium to avoid the Form 3 wait, and shipping/transfer costs.

I also already had .30 cal and .223 SureFire cans, and a safe full of rifles with legacy SF adapters on them.  I never seriously considered a SOCOM model for that reason.

Your quoted price is OK, if it's in stock locally.  But you may be better off with a .30 cal can first, especially if you have a 300BLK.  It's a lifetime purchase, don't buy the wrong thing to save two months of waiting ...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I am leaning towards in-stock trumping price as well.

I know that a dealer has a SOCOM 762MINI in-stock for right at $1200 + tax about half an hour away and from what I have read the 556 SOCOM is the same size as the 762 MINI so the MINI would probably be the way to go for a multipurpose suppressor.

I do have a AAC 762SD 18T (2 spring) and had the mount put on my 300BLK upper but am thinking about getting something lighter/shorter and with a better mount system.  

I found a AAC 762SD-N6 but it is $1050 so a bit more than it should be imo and the Surefire has always been my grail suppressor.

I could always have the mount swapped on the 9" AAC upper for the Surefire but the 15 month wait is going to kill me.

Is the Surefire mounting system worth it over AAC/Gemtech/etc. ?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the Surefire mounting system worth it over AAC/Gemtech/etc. ?
View Quote

I think so, it was the main reason we decided on SF when we bought our first rifle cans.  We don't own any other rifle cans to compare them to though.  Since I presently live in a ban state and have to travel next door to my brother/co-trustee's free state to shoot with the cans, the rifles get shot unsuppressed a lot.  Good muzzle brakes that doubled as QD mounts were our highest priority, and I think SF wins hands down there.

We do have AAC and SilencerCo pistol and rimfire cans though, and are happy with them.

Now that I've got all calibers covered, I think I'm done buying suppressors.  Famous last words, I know.  If I leave the SF mount family it'll probably be for a direct thread .308 and .338 can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top