Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2013 5:51:18 AM EDT
Please forgive as I'm pretty new to the suppressed world but am actively seeking some answers to help in making a decision for my next build..  I currently have a 14.5 pinned and welded AR in 5.56...  Also have another set of receivers that I was planning on doing .300BLK SBR.   I know I'm looking at 3 NFA stamps to make this happen.

In a perfect world, and lord knows it isn't, I'd like to be able to find a suppressor that is interchangeable to both calibers. Do they exist??  If so, who makes them??

I'd love to be able to switch them out on a whim like you can with the Surefire.SOCOM series suppressor sand adapter/flash hiders/ brakes.

Or am I just pissing up a tree??
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
AAC 762-SDN-6

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Kryloned or cerakote? On the post above
View Quote

Duracoat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
before this thread is done, I predict many many many suggestions for the AAC 762 sdn-6.  That is the route that I have gone as well.
View Quote

wow. I guess so.  . That's good though. I'm going to look into that one.

Now does the AAC work with both sub and super sonic ammo?  I was thinking of a Noveske 8.2 and have heard the barrel does well with both.  If that's not the case please feel free to correct.

I would really like versatility. Something I don't HAVE to be concerned with specific ammo to function correctly.  Again.. If feel like I'm really pissing up a tree with that one..  Then again the last time I thought so, you all showed me the light!  
View Quote

The second picture in my first post is a 8" Noveske 300Blk. 100% good to go. Only shoot 220gr sub-sonic reloads through it and it has been flawless. All you can hear is the bolt cycling and the impact of the heavy bullet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid for an SDN-6 about a month ago....just two more years and I should be able to have it in hand....

That joke hurt...
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
AAC 762-SDN6 +1

I was suppose to get mines this month...

Thanks to the government shutdown probably towards the end of November or early December...FUCKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
My only issue with AAC is the mounting system. Because of the 51T, people have been known to have to file a tooth down to get the can to fit correctly. Paying $1000+ for a can and mounting system (and waiting for the stamp), and then having to mod it to work is a no-no in my book.

I've personally had a baffle strike (hit the last 2 baffles and endcap) using a 762-SDN-6on a factory threaded Remington 700 5R with a 51T Blackout installed because I was uninformed of the issue. While AAC did repair the can after it flew downrange, it is a few decibels louder than it was originally.

After talking to someone I know who was on the teams, he shared the same experiences with AAC. When they switched to Surefire, the baffle strikes reduced significantly.

If you want inexpensive, there's the SWR Spec War 762. It's rated up to .300WM and has a fine tooth locking mounting system. It's not as sexy as AAC or SF but it works.

The Surefire SOCOM 762 Mini will work for your application but won't be the best 5.56 can. There is also the full size Surefire SOCOM 762 that will be longer and heavier (still lighter than a KAC NT4 and the AAC 762-SDN-6) but it's .300WM rated and will get near the same noise reduction on 5.56 as their dedicated 5.56 can. The honest best solution in your case is a 556 and 762 Mini, followed by the full size 762 IMO.

Link Posted: 10/13/2013 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
That's the first I've heard of any serious issue with the AAC 51T mounting system.

Not that there aren't issues that have occurred in certain scenarios, but the same can be said with most cans.

I know someone with several rifles with 51T mounts, and just one AAC can, and no issues whatsoever. I also know a few with several rifles with 51T mounts, and multiple AAC cans, and never any issues there either.

Your scenario is unfortunate for sure, but your generalized assessment of the AAC 51T mounting system is a bit of a worst case scenario to say the least - not that I blame you due to your personal experience.

I just mention this because all I continue to see and hear about the AAC 51T system and their cans is solid results and feedback. I wouldn't be overly concerned about running into an issue with one any more than the odds of getting a lemon from someone else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 1:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your answer is the AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor.

Interchangeable and very effective with both 556 and 300 black - as well as other calibers.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interchangeable and very effective with both 556 and 300 black - as well as other calibers.
View Quote

this
View Quote

Two for the price of one stamp!
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

this
View Quote

View Quote

SDN.  It fits your requirements nicely.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's the first I've heard of any serious issue with the AAC 51T mounting system.

Not that there aren't issues that have occurred in certain scenarios, but the same can be said with most cans.

I know someone with several rifles with 51T mounts, and just one AAC can, and no issues whatsoever. I also know a few with several rifles with 51T mounts, and multiple AAC cans, and never any issues there either.

Your scenario is unfortunate for sure, but your generalized assessment of the AAC 51T mounting system is a bit of a worst case scenario to say the least - not that I blame you due to your personal experience.

I just mention this because all I continue to see and hear about the AAC 51T system and their cans is solid results and feedback. I wouldn't be overly concerned about running into an issue with one any more than the odds of getting a lemon from someone else.
View Quote

If you do a search, you will find other people who have had the same problem with baffle strikes or end cap strikes with the 18T and 51T mounting system. While I'm sure we're a minority of AAC users, it's enough people to take into serious consideration.

I'd also say only a minority of Bushmaster Carbon 15s blow up on their users after a low round count, but again it happens enough to keep me clear of them.

AAC does have great marketing and gets their customers. I'm sure they will continue to do well and I hope they do. I just won't consider buying any of their fast-attach products until they come up with a mounting system that surpasses Surefire's.

BTW, I've put a considerable amount of rounds downrange through various SF, SilencerCo, SWR, and Gemtech cans, and I've put a few downrange through AAC (before it blew off my gun). I'm not the guy who is trying to justify my purchase and pushing what I bought onto others. I've used a handful of cans in semi and full auto and that's what I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

this
View Quote

View Quote

SDN.  It fits your requirements nicely.
View Quote

After all that's been said to this point, I'm thinking you're probably right. Multiple mounts and a single can.  I mean I can only use one EFFECTIVELY at a time right?

Unless of course I get the itch to feel like John Rambo and go full retard with one in each hand while screaming like a mongoose.. Minus select fire of course.

Are baffle strikes common regardless of application/mount?  That'd probably give a hell of a pucker effect.

Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
before this thread is done, I predict many many many suggestions for the AAC 762 sdn-6.  That is the route that I have gone as well.
View Quote

Now does the AAC work with both sub and super sonic ammo?  I was thinking of a Noveske 8.2 and have heard the barrel does well with both.  If that's not the case please feel free to correct.

I would really like versatility. Something I don't HAVE to be concerned with specific ammo to function correctly.  Again.. If feel like I'm really pissing up a tree with that one..  Then again the last time I thought so, you all showed me the light!  
View Quote

The second picture in my first post is a 8" Noveske 300Blk. 100% good to go. Only shoot 220gr sub-sonic reloads through it and it has been flawless. All you can hear is the bolt cycling and the impact of the heavy bullet.
View Quote

That's a nice piece man.   How is the heat dissipation at that length?  Considering that barrel and the can, which is bound to get seriously hot with the ever too common final mag dump ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Love mine for both those calibers & 308. All baffles are inconel, too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#16]
You just need to get a .30 caliber suppressor, it's very common and popular to do what you're doing. You will need to make sure that the 5.56 version of the muzzle device will accept the 7.62 can. I know the Surefires do, and some of the AAC variants do as well. I prefer the Surefires for no reason other than they are more fitting for my clones (I'm waiting on a socom can right now in fact)
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Surefire 762 Mini
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Surefire 762 Mini
View Quote

The mini is super loud on short barrels. I'd only recommend it as a second suppressor for something you want to keep as short as possible but keep the ear-splitting to a minimum.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surefire 762 Mini
View Quote

The mini is super loud on short barrels. I'd only recommend it as a second suppressor for something you want to keep as short as possible but keep the ear-splitting to a minimum.
View Quote

That's generally how I roll.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
The barrel and suppressor will both be fine with super and subs
I couldn't imagin a barrel that couldn't handle supers but that's just me
The sdn-6 is rated all the way down to a 7.5" 5.56 and I've ever read it will handle 300WM In a 26" + gun but don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Kryloned or cerakote? On the post above
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Still waiting on my stamp.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I vote for the YHM Ti much lighter but a bit longer than the AAC.  I had the opportunity to shoot my .308 16"

5.56 14.5" compared to the AAC on the same barrel lengths and a couple of different 300 BLK barrel lengths

next to one another and the owner of the AAC suppressor was amazed at how light the Ti was compared to his AAC SDN.    

the sound suppression was about the same to the perceived ear and we came to the conclusion he was going to get a YHM Ti. Another

plus is the YHM mounts are half the price.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Another vote for SDN-6. Zero regrets.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for SDN-6. Zero regrets.
View Quote

I guess AAC makes a solid product considering the heavy following. Definitely not the cheapest but also not the most expensive. That's a good sign.

You all have been awesome in your responses. I've learned more about suppressor in general in this thread than any other.

Thanks for moving to the appropriate channel too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I use my N6 on my 8.5" 300BLK upper as well as my 10.3" 5.56 upper. It works well. BLK is mega quiet. 5.56 sounds about like an unsuppressed 22lr. My dad uses his N6 with his AR10 in .243. Very happy with the purchases.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#30]
762-SDN-6....I use it on my Noveske 10.2 in 300 Blackout (subs and supers), Sig 556 SBR in 5.56, 14.5 in DD lightweight in 5.56, and 16 in Sig 716.  No issues, and it performs great regardless of the gun it is on (other than the Sig 556 and that's because of the gun, not the can). I haven't noticed any mounting issues...but I do check the can every few minutes to make sure that it is mounted tight.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the 762 SWR Specwar for this purpose.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought the 762 SWR Specwar for this purpose.
View Quote

I went this route as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have first hand experience with one and acknowledge that I've read about a few having issues with the moutning system, but it's tough to beat an AAC SDN-6 for this application, especially with their $100 store credit deal going right now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My only issue with AAC is the mounting system. Because of the 51T, people have been known to have to file a tooth down to get the can to fit correctly. Paying $1000+ for a can and mounting system (and waiting for the stamp), and then having to mod it to work is a no-no in my book.

I've personally had a baffle strike (hit the last 2 baffles and endcap) using a 762-SDN-6on a factory threaded Remington 700 5R with a 51T Blackout installed because I was uninformed of the issue. While AAC did repair the can after it flew downrange, it is a few decibels louder than it was originally.

After talking to someone I know who was on the teams, he shared the same experiences with AAC. When they switched to Surefire, the baffle strikes reduced significantly.

If you want inexpensive, there's the SWR Spec War 762. It's rated up to .300WM and has a fine tooth locking mounting system. It's not as sexy as AAC or SF but it works.

The Surefire SOCOM 762 Mini will work for your application but won't be the best 5.56 can. There is also the full size Surefire SOCOM 762 that will be longer and heavier (still lighter than a KAC NT4 and the AAC 762-SDN-6) but it's .300WM rated and will get near the same noise reduction on 5.56 as their dedicated 5.56 can. The honest best solution in your case is a 556 and 762 Mini, followed by the full size 762 IMO.

View Quote

Have you shot the SpecWar 762? It's much quieter than anything SF has to offer, and POI is just as consistent. I ran it on a 22" 300WM next to a 22" 308 with the Socom RC. The 300WM was quieter, and softer shooting. We ran the entire lineup of SF cans as my buddy WAS a diehard SF fanatic. He still likes SF, but his Surgeon is now wearing a SpecWar. Mine should be sitting in my safe any day now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:09:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I paid for an SDN-6 about a month ago....just two more years and I should be able to have it in hand....

That joke hurt...
View Quote

Me too....

Can't wait till next year..... sometime
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I was looking for the same type of can. Going on a 9" 300blk, 14.5" 5.56mm, and 20" .308. After much reading, I went with the surefire 762socom due to the mounting system, and durability mainly. Only downside is cost ($400 more than a sdn6) and buying three mounts, but that would be necessary with any qd suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I went with the SDN-6 as well.
.308 Savage 10PC

300 Blackout and 5.56 AR's

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top