Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 10:36:20 AM EDT
How well do ultrasonic cleaners clean bolt/carriers? I just picked up a suppressor for my AR. I love the suppressor but it causes a lot of build up on my bolt and carrier so I am trying to find a way to easily clean these parts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Never used on specifically on the BCG but i use them for a lot of other shit. Don't see why it wouldn't clean it. Dump in some MEK solvent and should be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I use one for my BCG, works very well!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never used on specifically on the BCG but i use them for a lot of other shit. Don't see why it wouldn't clean it. Dump in some MEK solvent and should be good to go.
View Quote

What is MEK solvent? Is the solvent for these cleaners expensive? Can you use the solvent more than one? Do you just leave the solvent in the machine until you need it again or do you have to drain the machine after every use?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it get all of the baked on crap out of the carrier? Bolt? Do you still have to scrub and scrape to get the carbon out?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is MEK solvent? Is the solvent for these cleaners expensive? Can you use the solvent more than one? Do you just leave the solvent in the machine until you need it again or do you have to drain the machine after every use?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MEK = methyl ethyl ketone. Available online or at Home Depot. Will dissolve just about anything. Pretty nasty stuff. Our cleaners are just filled with h2o. Put some solvent and the parts in a glass jar and place that in the ultra sonic.  Shouldn't  need much if any scrubbing.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Any particular brand of ultrasonic cleaner better than the others?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

MEK would probably clean the bolt pretty well without the ultrasonic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any particular brand of ultrasonic cleaner better than the others?
View Quote

I really like how my Lyman TurboSonic 2500 cleans brass, tools, BCGs and anything else I throw into it. As for cleaning off really baked on carbon, roughly 30min will break it all up. Just pull it out of the cleaner, hit it with a brush and repeat as necessary.

Be warned though: any BCG that doesn't have some superior coating will need to be thoroughly dried with a hair dryer or other method, otherwise rust spots from the water will appear
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does it get all of the baked on crap out of the carrier? Bolt? Do you still have to scrub and scrape to get the carbon out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only done my 5.56 AR bolt once and I used a carbon scraping tool first, then tossed it in. On my 9mm bolt it gets everything off and on my XCR's bolt and piston it gets even the baked on crap off, so I'm sure an AR would have similar results. I used 20% simple green and tap water as my solution in a Frankford Arsenal ultrasonic cleaner. Takes about 3-4 full cycles to get everything clean.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got YM chrome BCGs and routinely use them in a ultrasonic with Ed's Red.  Never had an issue and they come out looking really good.  I use the harbor freight "commercial" ultrasonic.  They have a non-commercial version for $40, but it didn't look as sturdy as the commercial version.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#11]
How beneficial would it be to clean an AR barrel in an ultrasonic cleaner? I've always just pushed patches through my barrels to get them clean.

Would trying to buy a machine big enough to soak a barrel be a waste of funds?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My vote: Waste of money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My vote: Waste of money.
View Quote

I disagree, if time is money, an ultra sonic saves you a good amount of time. When I clean my rifles, I toss the bolt in the ultrasonic while I'm cleaning the barrel and receiver. It does the work for me while I'm cleaning the parts that can't fit. Easily cuts my cleaning time in half.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't had much luck using Ultrasonic cleaners. I've tried bolts and suppressor baffles with 80+ degree water and Lyman turbocleaner (maybe not the best option) but it didn't do jack for my suppressor baffles.  My bolt is NiB but it actually cleans up easier with the CR-15 tool than the Ultrasonic cleaner.  Nowit just sits in the corner of the garage.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
What solution are you using? Some stuff works better then others, I have a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner that looks identical to the hornaday one, doesn't hold much but it does the job well on bcgs and pistol parts. the next one will be over a gallon and heated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
My first ultrasonic cleaner was a cheapo Harbor Freight model.  It saved me a lot of time.  I used it for BCGs, pistol barrels, etc.  Just some water and maybe simple green or even soap and it did wonders.

I have bigger cleaner and it's one of my better investments.  Probably made me a bit lazy....just throw in and set the timer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't had much luck using Ultrasonic cleaners. I've tried bolts and suppressor baffles with 80+ degree water and Lyman turbocleaner (maybe not the best option) but it didn't do jack for my suppressor baffles.  My bolt is NiB but it actually cleans up easier with the CR-15 tool than the Ultrasonic cleaner.  Nowit just sits in the corner of the garage.
View Quote

When I run my ultrasonic,  the water is up at 130°+.  The cleaning cycle time drops with hotter water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top