Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:43:01 PM EDT
Here's the question. I have a 22lr suppressor and am getting a kit to shoot 22lr through my 5.56/.223 barreled AR15. Would there be a problem with baffle strikes with my 22lr suppressor on my .223?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the threaded barrel is concentric to the bore you should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Id worry about the twist rate causing some bullet yaw and striking a baffle. That said, i dont really know what a faster twist rate does to stabilization. Maybe do some close range tests on paper without the suppressor and make sure you have perfect holes. I had a conversion kit and found it to be very inacccurate. sold it and went to a dedicated upper. i run a can on that often and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I've run it on my dedicated .22 ar upper fine but just got done building a ar pistol in 556 and was going to throw a conversion in there to save money and shoot 22 but my first thought was don't chance it... its not worth screwing my suppressor up.

I guess I was wondering if anyone braver then I tried it with success.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
wouldn't the .22 foul up the can? assuming your 5.56 can is sealed / non serviceable
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I hadn't thought much about twist rates on such an idea until now,  but the rate on most .223/5.56 barrels is half the twist ratio of dedicated .22's.  Personally,  I'd shoot a few test loads to test for key-holing or other problems at 20 feet,  and give it a shot.  Perhaps I'm a bit more adventurous,  but I've never had a baffle strike yet by just being cautious by testing out a few rounds right off the bat.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a user serviceable one and I clean it as much as I can to keep it from getting too nasty. Yeah I'll have to do some tests when I get the conversion maybe it will work perfect. Being as its a 7.5 barrel pistol it might be fine then again that might make matters worse but can only find that out from testing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top