Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 4:01:14 AM EDT
I certainly see the lead oxide coat the muzzle with 22LR and lead cast bullets, and if ignored it could be a real a concern.  However, I don't know anyone personally that has actually had this problem.  Lead oxide actually isn't that hard to remove.  Ph and temp are very effective to it's dissolution.  There are a few products that also claim lead oxide removal with out wiping/brushing.  I believe I'm doing fine with the following 22LR application on the 45 Tirant (original model)

1.  After shooting lead, get the can hot shooting jacket centerfire pistol ammo and immediately add vinegar. (drinking water can dissolve lead.... albiet  much slower)
2.  Let the vinegar (mild acid) cool and decant to 1/2 full (the waste has lead nitrate......treat like any poison)
3.  Add baking soda - this will neutralize the pH, but in doing so aggitate the can's internals.
4.  Run boiling water through the can

Perhaps I'm just being a cheap bastard, but from my experience you can shoot lead through sealed cans....just clean it.  I've had a few dealers tell me I'm messing up, but of course they'd love to sell a few more cans too.  Anyone have success or a regrettable experience?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Warning that TiRant45 has aluminum baffles in it. The acid will destroy the aluminum baffles.
A few years ago, I jail broke mine for cleaning.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top