Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 8:06:57 AM EDT
What can do you recommend? I want a QD mounting system and I have been looking at the phantom TI at silencer shop alot lately. I like the mounts are reasonably priced and I have heard they are good cans.

Where are you guys purchasing from? I look at silencer shop alot but what other sources have you used and would recommend?

Primarily I will  use it on AR platforms in different calibers, 556, 300blk, 6.8 and maybe a bolt gun for hunting so that may change which can I get.

I want to get something that is bomb proof but not too heavy. I can give up some decibel reduction for durability, qd system, weight, and customer service that includes future service.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one yet but I have been looking at the yhm ti and the AAC sdn6. I am leaning toward the sdn6 because the yhm mount is just an eye sore. I have no technical advise . Just want it to look pretty
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I want a 7.62 Saker.  Sounds like I'll have to wait 1 yr.+ though.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want a 7.62 Saker.  Sounds like I'll have to wait 1 yr.+ though.  

My guess is at least 1yr.

I've decided that I'm not going to be cheap and just get the new surefire socom silencers I think. I've still got a Saker on order but no word. SF is actually shipping their new cans on the other hand. And to the OP, don't be cheap. Cost should be the last thing you consider for a silencer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
7.62 saker would be nice. What about the gem techs ? HVT?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Ti 762 will serve you well OP.

So will the SDN6.

Mounts will be much more cost effective with YHM.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For high volume and rapid shooting on even short barreled .223 - AAC SDN-6.

For light weight and equally silent - YHM Ti.

Why can't YHM redesign their mounts?  If they would shorten them up a little bit and de-uglyfy them, they could fit another baffle in their cans.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What can do you recommend? I want a QD mounting system and I have been looking at the phantom TI at silencer shop alot lately. I like the mounts are reasonably priced and I have heard they are good cans.

Where are you guys purchasing from? I look at silencer shop alot but what other sources have you used and would recommend?

Primarily I will  use it on AR platforms in different calibers, 556, 300blk, 6.8 and maybe a bolt gun for hunting so that may change which can I get.

I want to get something that is bomb proof but not too heavy. I can give up some decibel reduction for durability, qd system, weight, and customer service that includes future service.

You are right on all accounts.

Best can for the money. Look at NFATalk.com. They have a section of test results on most cans and platforms.

Main difference is weight, not so much an issue with Ti as is my Steel can.
The guys at Silencershop are top notch, and make it all way too easy.

Do it, you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Look at NFATalk.com..

THANKS!  Been looking for test results since silencer research isn't operational anymore.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're going to be doing any rapid shooting, skip the Ti can.

That's why I went with an SDN6 instead of a Ti can.  Well, that and the YHM mounts are absolutely hideous.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Go with YHM.

I went through Silencer Shop.

YHM likes their mounting system where as AAC has changed theirs 3 times already.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with YHM.

YHM likes their mounting system where as AAC has changed theirs 3 times already.

Or, put another way, YHM hasn't refined and updated their mounting system while AAC has.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Would the TI cans hold up to some v tac drills? Not beta mag dumps but 6-8 shot strings for time? Wilson whisper gas caught my eye as well. Still no word on gem tech? I'm going to go check out nfatalk .
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with YHM.

Or, put another way, YHM hasn't refined and updated their mounting system while AAC has.

What's there to update when you get it right the first time?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Its a mounting system to fix an explosion containing device that is covered by said device when in use. Who cares what it looks like if it is covered when in use? I have a YHM QD SS 30cal and it rocks. PWS used to make QD mounts that doubled as brakes, they are pretty badass looking if you are into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its a mounting system to fix an explosion containing device that is covered by said device when in use. Who cares what it looks like if it is covered when in use? I have a YHM QD SS 30cal and it rocks. PWS used to make QD mounts that doubled as brakes, they are pretty badass looking if you are into that sort of thing.

It's covered when in use...and not when it's not.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's why YHM doesn't want to change their mounts.

1. The 5.56 mounts are shorter because the 556 cans are shorter and lighter. 12oz for Ti and 20oz for SS.

2. The 30cal mounts won't accidentally accept a 5.56 can if someone doesn't know what they're doing.  You can install a 30cal can on a 5.56 mount easily.  I have seen it happen with the AAC and the Wilson Combat Whisper. Not pretty.

3. AAC started with the 18T. Then the 51T. 90T came out, had problems, and it is still entirely possible to put a 5.56 can on a 30cal gun.

I can't see the muzzle when I'm shooting. I just see holes forming in my target.  I'm not looking at my other uppers when I'm punching holes in my target either.

The advantage the SDN6 gives you over the YHM is paying more money for a better looking mount that does the same job.

I don't disagree that the ability to handle higher volumes of fire at full auto is appealing but you can run the YHM pretty hard and put the money saved toward ammo.

You'll find the Ti 762 a great suppressor. If not that then the SS for more savings.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I've written a review on the TBAC 30ba. You can find it under the Silencershop tab in Industry.
PM any of us with Silencershop and let us know how we can help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats a thread on, right? I watched the video on the website for that can. I going to head over to industry now and take a look. Thanks!

Right now I ve narrowed it down to either the TI phantom, Wilson Whisper, or sdn 6. I will look at the thunder beast.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's why I went with an SDN6 instead of a Ti can.  Well, that and the YHM mounts are absolutely hideous.

And heavy.

I can't understand why anyone uses YHM at all except for the cost. And you should skimp on NFA purchases.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's my support for the 762-SDN-6.  Though the vid is nominally about the new PMAG, half of the vid is footage of my SDN-6 on my 8" 300 BLK shooting supers and subs.

That SBR shoots under 1" with 300 BLK 125gr match ammo at 100yds wearing that SDN-6 on a "loose" mount.  I can use it on my 5.56 rifles and my 308 (yet to be threaded) without any fears of wearing it out prematurely.

The weight just isn't a factor at all, and it makes that SBR a real soft shooter, even with supersonic ammo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is putting a 556 suppressor on a 30cal gun.  The results do not inspire confidence.

And heavy.
Installing a 15oz suppressor on a 3oz FH still weighs less than the SDN6 before a mount is put on the gun.

I can't understand why anyone uses YHM at all except for the cost. And you should skimp on NFA purchases.

I can't understand why AAC and Wilson Combat make mounts that are 30cal and accept 556 caliber suppressors.  I've seen it happen more than once. The shrapnel isn't cool.

Also, YHMs FH mounts are +/- 3oz and the 30cal brake is 4oz.  I wouldn't call a 15oz titanium suppressor heavy and by the time you get it heated to the point of failure you probably can't hold onto the gun you're shooting.

There are reasons people buy YHM because they stand behind their product even if someone else screws up. Look at the thread where the guy who put a SS 762 on an AK supposedly threaded by his gunsmith.  As previously mentioned: if you're looking at the YHM mount while you're shooting with the suppressor off you're doing it wrong.  Put the can on the gun and have at it. If you do manage to fubar the can when your gun is properly threaded concentric then you will get taken care of by YHM.

If you so desire to spend more money on the SDN6 then you will be all warm and fuzzy each time you put another $150 brake on your gun. Many YHM silencer shooters will spend half that much making their guns quieter and put more money into ammo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#22]
So whats the deal with AAC and the new 90 some odd tooth mount? Are the going to be compatible in the future? I always hear about the wobble in the AAC mounts, is this true or just rumor?

Gemtech must not be nearly as popular as the others as there has been little discussion about them in here. Are the Gemtech mounts solid and the cans high quality or not? Is there an industry

partner that sells surefire? If I am going to spend this much money I may as well get a look at all of them. Any word on the price of the new SOCOM cans?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So whats the deal with AAC and the new 90 some odd tooth mount? Are the going to be compatible in the future? I always hear about the wobble in the AAC mounts, is this true or just rumor?

Gemtech must not be nearly as popular as the others as there has been little discussion about them in here. Are the Gemtech mounts solid and the cans high quality or not? Is there an industry

partner that sells surefire? If I am going to spend this much money I may as well get a look at all of them. Any word on the price of the new SOCOM cans?

The 90T mounts have been scrapped.  They are instead working on a different system.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
IMO the cost premium for the Surefire line is worth it, simply so you never ever have to worry about the mounting system.  We have one AAC pistol can in hand (which is fantastic), and another awaiting the ATF, but we are very glad we went with Surefire for the rifle cans.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is just full of fuck...  

The YHM SS cans are a good deal if your on a budget but are as heavy as a brick. Their Ti cans are nice if you are looking for something light that won't see many rounds in a hurry. The mounts for both are ugly (if that letters to you) and their brake isn't nearly as effective as the AAC and Surefire brake mounts. Mount interface...who cares. Personally I think 5.56 cans are dumb when a 7.62 can is so much more versatile. Even so...these aren't toys and its big boy rules. If you put a 5.56 can on a 7.62 rifle you aren't paying attention and probably have no business owning them to begin with. On a side note AAC put a mag of .308 through a 5.56 can and cut it open to find minimal damage. I believe they would have been able to rebuild the can.

AAC is my personal choice as its a good balance of weight/durability/cost. The 18 tooth mounts had some problems but I've put mag after mag through a RR M-16 with a M4-1000 and never once had it shoot loose and cause a baffle strike. On top of that AAC has replaced 18 tooth cans with newer ones in the past.  The evolution from one mount to the next is simply product evolution and attempting to improve upon a design. If you aren't "that guy" that plays keeping up with the Jones's then enjoy your can.  My SDN6 has been flawless on every host and abused far past what the YHM Ti can would be able to handle. It only weighs 19oz. I'll take the extra durability and inconel baffle stack over saving a few oz to have delicate Ti.

Surefire does very well with probably the best mount on the market but perform similar to AAC in sound suppression and weight. If you can afford a $1300+ can then do it. Not much else to say other then determine if a better mount is worth it to you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
IMO the cost premium for the Surefire line is worth it, simply so you never ever have to worry about the mounting system.  We have one AAC pistol can in hand (which is fantastic), and another awaiting the ATF, but we are very glad we went with Surefire for the rifle cans.

This. There is a value to not having to mess with, research, be stuck with a heavy/innefective brake/mount, or watch out for issues with the product you own. I think the SOCOM is the hottest can out right now and I'd gladly pay once and cry once. I will NEVER understand budget NFA buyers.

Surefire does very well with probably the best mount on the market but perform similar to AAC in sound suppression and weight. If you can afford a $1300+ can then do it. Not much else to say other then determine if a better mount is worth it to you.

Right. And mount should be priority #1 in a rifle can because you are going to be stuck with it no matter what.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I find the AAC mount to be perfectly adequate...but if you're one of those people who think the "wobble" is going to make your rifle less effective then go with a different can. My Sako TRG doesn't know the difference an still holds 1/4-1/2 MOA with my wobbly can. 1 tooth is 7* rotation at most...not nearly enough to cause a baffle strike or affect accuracy in my experience. I've also never stuck a can to a mount..which is far more common with other mount designs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top