Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2012 10:50:25 AM EDT
what would a 160 gr Horanady leveroution loaded subsonic do versus
the 300 blackout?

just askin; don't have a can yet, but I'd seem like a very close race, semi auto
vs. lever gun shooting basiclly same distance with a slightly lighter boolit,,,,

I do have a NEF center fire frame, so I could get the 300 barrel once those are
floating around, but I don't wanna get another caliber that's almost a dupe,,,

BTW; could I use the same ..30 cal can on my bolt gun? (lever gun is marlin 336)
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Second (last) question first.  Yes, you could use the same can on both guns.

Now for the religious arguments . . .

The .30-30 carriers a bit more energy than the 300 BLK in typical loads for each, but you could load the 300 BK hotter than a reduced load .30-30 if you wanted to.  I suspect that if you load a .30-30 for subsonics and get the same muzzle vlocity for the same bullet weight, the results would be identical since energy is a measure of mass and velocity.

I have both a .30-30 lever gun and a 300 BLK AR.  When I wanna feel like a cowboy I grab the Marlin.  Otherwise I grab the AR.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the intelligent reply; usually I get internet stares, like i've never owned a gun,,,,

Which is better on hogs inside 100 yds? I really like all I've read about the
blackout, but I still don't want another caliber that's close to what I already
own. I like AR's, but sometimes doing the same job with a fudd looking gun
is easier to not attract attention. [I know, fudd gun with a can?}

sides, hogs don't care what you blast em' with; I got tons of 30-30 to reload,
but would have to get the bbl. threaded & cut the tube a little.  thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that a hog inside 100 or even 150 yards would know which one they were hit with,  I'm still waiting to take my first critter with the 300 BLK, but there is another thread here about 300 BLK for hunting.  As you might expect, opinions are all over the map.  I'm not sure how effective a subsonic round in the 220 gr range would be.  Most of them are around 1,000 fps and expansiion could be iffy.  I'm personnaly sticking with supersonics for hunting.  

300 BLK Hunting

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top