Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2012 2:23:52 PM EDT
I'm looking for a full size .45 platform to use for a range/plinking/fun gun but the gun will have a suppressor on it pretty much 90 percent of the time.

I've heard the TRP (or any 1911 for the matter) is hard to get to run reliably. The FNP seems like a good choice and with all its factory options, would be a cheaper option than the 1911 but some people seem to not like it's safety mechanism or its trigger.

If money was not an option, which would you guys choose?
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
TRP......Mine ran fine once the barrel was fit.  Not sure why you would have any issues.

Link Posted: 7/31/2012 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My TRP Review

I have both; both are great guns.   That said, the TRP has never, not once, had a malfunction in about 1500 rounds.   The FNP had 1 malfunction in about 2k.   So, I'd say both are very reliable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I loved my FNP45T but feared for chamber support issues. It did have a KB and it did total the weapon.

They were taken out of production and are being redesigned and rereleased as the FNX45 for unstated issues. FNH service dept said it was a barrel redesign.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys, and sorry, this was supposed to go in the Suppressor forum!
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 2:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 3:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both and enjoy shooting my 1911 with Storm Lake barrel more. Both function fine and sound good with a TiRant45.

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a full size .45 platform to use for a range/plinking/fun gun but the gun will have a suppressor on it pretty much 90 percent of the time.

I've heard the TRP (or any 1911 for the matter) is hard to get to run reliably. The FNP seems like a good choice and with all its factory options, would be a cheaper option than the 1911 but some people seem to not like it's safety mechanism or its trigger.

Easy..............HK USP 45/Tactical.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy..............HK USP 45/Tactical.

This! That's what I did.

But out of the two you mentioned, definitely the TRP.

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had no problems with the FNP 45 and Ti-Rant 45.  Make no mistake the FNP is huge, but it does give you 15+1 rounds of 45.  The trigger is not a 1911 trigger, but it is okay for a polymer handgun.  I think it is a fun combo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I am surprised more haven't said the FNP45 Tac....It is a combo I am already saving for.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely the FNP Tactical.
The trigger is actually very nice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2012 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my FN, especially the trijicon rmr mounted. I think the FN is better than hk tac. As 1911 goes, I like my threaded sig tactical  operations ( I like 100% USA manufactured and assembled 1911s {sorry springfield with almost all imported parts}). The sig has been 100% after I had the ambi safety removed. Using a suppressor does not void sigs warranty either, only other 1911 suppressor ready with warranty is Nighthawk as far as I know. I am running a swr hems 2 compact. Osprey is on order but who knows when I will get that (been on order since Feb with no sign of life. Suppose to be a replacement for my swr hems 2  order that got botched).

I learned the hard way it is cheaper to buy factory  suppressor ready guns then buying all kinds of parts that have to be fitted such as barrels, new springs (heavier spring rates), buffers for ar15s in 9mm, and other upgrades. Most sig handguns can be factory ordered with threaded barrels with only adding less than $100 cost.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Granted I'm biased to the 1911, but that being said, every can I've had on my (5) springfield's has run reliably and without a problem.  The FNP is a great platform and has a high cap system to it.  Myself, I have smaller hands and I can grip the FN as well as I can the 1911.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/7/2012 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#16]
This is by far the quietest suppressed .45 combo that I have. I have a SIG-P220 that is not even close in sound reduction compared to the 1911. I don't know if it has something to do with delayed barrel unlocking or what, but it is awesome fun to shoot!

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Both are great pistols. The FN is already setup and ready to go out of the box with threaded barrel and tall night sights. I like that I can get a good sight picture with my FNP-45 Tactical with Osprey suppressor, not to mention the lighter recoil and 15rd mags. I tend to prefer my 1911's for conceal carry since they are so thin.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an FNP-45T and a Ti-Rant 45.  It's been 100% reliable and a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an FNP-45T and a Ti-Rant 45.  It's been 100% reliable and a lot of fun!

+1.
I love 1911s and have two Wilson Tac Supergrades, but my FNP 45 Tac is my go to HD handgun.  Put the AAC supp, and RMR and SF 400x light/laser on it and you have a winning set-up.  Controls are 1911-like and the SA trigger pull is more than acceptable.  Carry cocked and locked like a 1911 or on safe with the hammer down and take the first shot DA.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have both...and like both more than any other handguns I own. I like my Sig P-220 Carry too....but not quite as much.

My TRP is my daily carry which I bought new, has several thousand rounds down the pipe, has never has so much as a hiccup, and which I have zero issues trusting my life to both it's accuracy and it's reliability.

I haven't had my FNP-45 Tactical nearly as long, but it's just so ergonomically friendly...I can't help but love it too. Not withstanding the 15+1 capacity of 45 acp goodness, it's got a great trigger and is as accurate as I am. Considering the size difference with a red dot sight and the larger frame size....it's currently relegated to range and SHTF duties. Add the Osprey and it's just too damn big to carry concealed.

The only shortcomings between the two pistols are:

The TRP has to be custom fit with a threaded barrel....before I would trust it to be as reliable as it was stock. I wouldn't have been able to trust it's reliability had I merely bought a 'drop in' threaded barrel.

The FNP has an inherent flaw in that, if the thumb safety/decocker is held down inadvertently....the gun will not fire. Not a characteristic that lends itself to rapid defensive CCW type situations. Tactical use, OK....but I won't plan on 'quick drawing' and putting this gun into a defensive posture....it may not go bang.

Range/fun/plinking gun out of the box? The FNP45 Tactical....hands down. Reliable CCW pistol....TRP.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top