Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2012 6:06:52 AM EDT
Greetings,

I am considering a 9mm suppressor for my handguns (Glock, etc.) as well as my Colt 6450.  Is it realistic to have one suppressor handle both tasks?

The two suppressors I see often mentioned are the Silencerco Osprey and the AAC Ti-Rant.  I would like to keep my cost down to under a grand (including stamp) if possible.

If cleanliness is next to godliness then I am on the express train to hell.  How filthy do suppressors get?  Would the suppressor have to be cleaned after each shooting session (100 rounds for example)?  Does shooting a suppressor "wet" drastically increase the cleaning chores?

The Colt 6450 has the stock 16" barrel.  What length would you SBR it to (if required)?   I haven't chronographed 147gr loads through my Colt so I don't know if they would require me to SBR the barrel or not.  I live at approximately 1000ft. elevation.  Any guidance (SBR length, muzzle attachment recommendations, loads) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes both will work.  You will need the booster(LID) and correct thread piston for your pistol, and you will need a fixed barrel spacer and correct thread piston for your rifle.  No, 9mm isnt so dirty that you need to clean every session.  More like every 750-1000 rounds to keep the gunk easy to get out.  You can get a new, serviceable, suppressor.  Or you can get an older one like a Trident 9 and have it jail broken and made serviceable.    I dont shoot wet so i cant comment on cleaning after a wet session.  As for the SBR question, you have two options.  Spend $200 for a stamp and whatever else for barrel cut and engraving.  Or have adco make a shroud for the suppressor fit into.  I think in the end, when its all said and done, you will be out the same amt of cash.  Id just SBR it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any experience with this dealer or suppressor, but someone over on subguns is listing both the 45 and 9mm Ti-Rant for $850 and he will pay the tax.
It may be worth looking in to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Greetings,

I am considering a 9mm suppressor for my handguns (Glock, etc.) as well as my Colt 6450.  Is it realistic to have one suppressor handle both tasks?

The two suppressors I see often mentioned are the Silencerco Osprey and the AAC Ti-Rant.  I would like to keep my cost down to under a grand (including stamp) if possible.

If cleanliness is next to godliness then I am on the express train to hell.  How filthy do suppressors get?  Would the suppressor have to be cleaned after each shooting session (100 rounds for example)?  Does shooting a suppressor "wet" drastically increase the cleaning chores?

The Colt 6450 has the stock 16" barrel.  What length would you SBR it to (if required)?   I haven't chronographed 147gr loads through my Colt so I don't know if they would require me to SBR the barrel or not.  I live at approximately 1000ft. elevation.  Any guidance (SBR length, muzzle attachment recommendations, loads) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cheese

Sounds like you want the MM9 ( Multimount) from gemtech.

The can on the AR is the same can on the Glock.....

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I have an SWR Octane 9.  I use it on an M&P9 handgun, and on a SBR 9mm AR.  The barrel on the AR is a TROS 5" with three lug mount.   So far I really like this can on both the handgun and the AR, but to be honest I can't really compare certain things such as the sound reduction to other choices.  The weight is light enough that it's not very noticeable at all on the handgun, or the AR for that matter.  It seems plenty quiet on both.  I love shooting my 9mm AR with the Octane on it and subsonic ammo...so much fun.  My only complaint (if you want to call it that) is that it sometimes isn't all that easy to take apart and clean.  BUT, I have the 'old' baffle stack.  

The current baffle stack is supposed to be lighter and quieter, but it also looks *much* easier to take apart and clean.  I'm getting ready to send mine in to be upgraded to the 'new' baffle stack.  I wouldn't buy anything that isn't designed to be easily pulled apart and cleaned by the end user.  If you think you'll shoot cast bullets through it (not jacketed or plated) then cleaning will be a necessity at some point to maintain performance of the can.  In fact, other than special requirements (like a large volume can for use on an SMG) I think ease of dis-assembly and cleaning would be my top priority.

It helps if you clean after every use because in my experience the buildup can harden over time making it more difficult to dis-assemble.   But if I don't really shoot much through it, like 50 rds, I don't clean usually.   I haven't really developed a good sense of this yet though because most of my suppressor use in the past has been with sealed rifle cans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Columbia, SC, and have a local guy that is making suppressors.  I bought my 9mm suppressor for my Glock from www.innovativearms.com

Just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with this shop.  The small-business feel (not a big corporation) dealing directly with the owner who also builds the suppressors is fantastic.  Phillip builds them and his wife, Jenny sells 'em.  His dB numbers are equal, if not better, to all of the major suppressor brands out there. I have personally seen his shop and test fired a lot of his stuff.  

For my Glock 19, I simply bought a Glock factory threaded barrel: M13.5X1LH.   The IA suppressors work for that threading and he makes them for 1/2 x 28.  All you need is the barrel and the can.  No other gear.  I highly recommend them.  Not to mention the 9mm suppressor was $599.  Kind of hard to beat that price.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If your going to a suppressed 9mm AR then the barrel to get is the 5" TROS 3lug.  Since your going short, you should just go really short.  Why settle for a 8" or 10".  The 5" with a can handles very nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top