Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2012 5:37:28 PM EDT
I plan on getting a suppressor in the future. I have always been curious if I dropped my rifle and hit the suppressor first would it destroy the threads? Ruin the can?  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
no.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what the can is made of, how heavy the gun, is it dropped from 2ft or 10ft,
how big is the barrel and threads.
Too many things that can change the drop factor
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depends on what the can is made of, how heavy the gun, is it dropped from 2ft or 10ft,
how big is the barrel and threads.
Too many things that can change the drop factor

My precision rifle weighs 14lbs. It's a Tikka T-3 varmint so a heavy barrel. Say good quality can and say the sling broke and rifle fell backwards.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Be more concerned about the glass then the suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Really? Don't suppressors thread on about and inch or so? I would think it would break/strip the threads.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Don't suppressors thread on about and inch or so? I would think it would break/strip the treads.

That is one benefit of a reflex design.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Don't suppressors thread on about and inch or so? I would think it would break/strip the threads.

The suppressor is backed up against a shoulder, so it's pretty much a non issue.  It would have to be a big enough of a force to damage barrel steel, forces not likely to be encountered outside of a war zone.

What about something like a Surefire QD, which has no threads?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The suppressor is backed up against a shoulder, so it's pretty much a non issue.  It would have to be a big enough of a force to damage barrel steel, forces not likely to be encountered outside of a war zone.

So if you put the gun on the butt and tipped it over and the suppressor hit the wall it would be ok?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you put the gun on the butt and tipped it over and the suppressor hit the wall it would be ok?

You have to understand, and I have thought about it some since posting, plenty of people have had baffle-strikes that took out the end-cap.

That is, the bloody can got SHOT.

Mount has never been the issue with a baffle-strike that I am aware.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to understand, and I have thought about it some since posting, plenty of people have had baffle-strikes that took out the end-cap.

I guess that's what I'm kinda getting at. Will the can stay in alignment after a fall or hit?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that's what I'm kinda getting at. Will the can stay in alignment after a fall or hit?

Do you think someone can give you promise answer of yes that the can will stay in alignment,  chances are many have dropped
a gun and knocked the can out of alignment then got a baffle strike because of it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just curious to how strong the connection was between the two. Never handling them and only seeing pictures to me it looks like it could move out of alignment fairly easy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was just curious to how strong the connection was between the two. Never handling them and only seeing pictures to me it looks like it could move out of alignment fairly easy.

The military issues them to troops. I have not read of any complaints about this. If a GI does not dick it up very often, it is G2G.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a non issue. You will bend the barrel before you bend the suppressor.

Some cans have quick disconnect connectors. They are solid also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys. Guess they are a lot stronger than I thought.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Suppressors are pretty strong typically, and a fall shouldn't damage the rifle or suppressor.  Obviously there is a difference between walking through the woods and your sling failing, and dropping the rifle muzzle down from 40 feet onto concrete.   The forces your rifle are likely to encounter are no big deal.  

The lightest suppressor we ever made (size/weight) was a 8.5" long .45 caliber suppressor 1.375" OD made of welded 6061 aluminum- it weighed 5.5 ounces and had .06" wall.  I supported the barrel at the chamber and suppressor at the muzzle and stood in the middle (220 lbs) - even bouncing up and down I wasn't able to bend the suppressor.  It was serviceable and aligned prior to and after the test.

I was pretty surprised, I expected it to be bent badly.  

The centerfire suppressors are 20-30 ounces and made of steel or stainless steel, so they are considerably stronger.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressors are pretty strong typically, and a fall shouldn't damage the rifle or suppressor.  Obviously there is a difference between walking through the woods and your sling failing, and dropping the rifle muzzle down from 40 feet onto concrete.   The forces your rifle are likely to encounter are no big deal.  

The lightest suppressor we ever made (size/weight) was a 8.5" long .45 caliber suppressor 1.375" OD made of welded 6061 aluminum- it weighed 5.5 ounces and had .06" wall.  I supported the barrel at the chamber and suppressor at the muzzle and stood in the middle (220 lbs) - even bouncing up and down I wasn't able to bend the suppressor.  It was serviceable and aligned prior to and after the test.

I was pretty surprised, I expected it to be bent badly.  

The centerfire suppressors are 20-30 ounces and made of steel or stainless steel, so they are considerably stronger.

Wow that's pretty amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top