Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2011 3:38:23 PM EDT
I've got a  overbored AmerMfg XXX suppressor.  I got it made in 1/2" thread.  It's bored large enough to use with 30 cal, no problems, per mfg.  

I'd like to occasionally use the can on 30 cal rifles sometimes.  I know I should have got it made in 30 cal standard 5/8, but i didn't.

Are there any issues getting an adapter made to go from 5/8 on a30 cal bolt can and having the adapter have a 1/2 end, so I can use the suppressor.

I'm not a machinist and while I would think it could be done, I'm not sure if it shouldn't be done for any good reason.

I've got full auto 308 MG's, but I don't think that the can will be useable with any of the belt feds.  Dang it.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the same thing - Triple-X in 1/2-28.  The baffle openings are actually large enough to shoot 9mm through... just barely.  But I think I'm just grazing a baffle somewhere, as I get severe POI shifts - more than you would expect from just the weight of the can.  I expect yours is bored the same.  (This is the standard .223 can.  The cans that were overbored to actually use with 9mm are opened up even bigger.)  So figuring a perfect fit for a 9mm, that still gives you .047" tolerance to play with.  That's a pretty big number, and an adapter would have to be pretty badly out of round / off centered to get to to where you had trouble with it.  I wouldn't have any issue using this can with an adapter on a semi-auto .308.  (full-auto .308 might be okay, but you'd want to make sure the can stayed on there pretty tight.  Depending on what .308 you have, it might be better to get a spare barrel threaded 1/2-28).

I'd call Mark at TROS about an adapter.  

Or, better yet just give Mike Klos (the guy who built your can) a call or stop by, depending on where you are in MO.  I'm sure he could build an adapter as well.  If you're on the STL side of the state, you could probably have him make an adapter, and then you stop by the shop and have him check with the can & gun for runout.  

That's one of those things I keep thinking about having done.  I just haven't yet.  I'm thinking the can would go well on my .300 Whisper upper.  I had the Contender .300 Whisper and the bolt-action .243 threaded 1/2-28 so I could use it as-is on those.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Garrett,

I stopped by New Melle today and talked to him.  Apparently he won't make an adapter.  I'll talk with him personally next time not have someone go back and ask.  He's making some changes in the shop.  Got several suppressors and integral rifles out.  Several 300BLK.   I'm going to get one made on a Savage bolt gun.  Otherwise, I will contact TROS.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread got me thinking.  And since I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by ADCO's shop this week and dropped off my barrel to be rethreaded.  The AR15/300Whisper now has 1/2-28 threads, and the Triple-X looks pretty good on it.  I just need to go sight it in and see what kind of POI shift I get between that, the Trident-9 and the CAC-45.  

I'm thinking I'll primarily use the Triple-X on the .300, and keep the subgun cans on the subguns.  But it's nice having options.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top