Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 5:34:59 PM EDT
I know that you'll never make back what you put into a suppressor.

However, I have a threaded 5.56 phantom from Yankee Hill Machine.  I want to upgrade to something that is QD and SWR's SPECWAR has caught my eye.

There is a dealer in town.  If I wanted to sell it to a dealer, how would I go about that?  How does it work and what would the difference be between me selling it to a co-worker who is considered a state resident?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
No matter who you sell it to there is a $200 tax.  A dealer is not going to buy a can from you unless it is for personal use, as there would be another $200 tax when sold to another unlicensed person.  Sell it directly to another person in your state, and then there is only one $200 tax.

Ranb
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No matter who you sell it to there is a $200 tax.  A dealer is not going to buy a can from you unless it is for personal use, as there would be another $200 tax when sold to another unlicensed person.  Sell it directly to another person in your state, and then there is only one $200 tax.

Ranb

Thanks, I wasn't sure if a dealer had to pay the tax.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what GA has for internet firearms sales.  here in Alaska we have the Alaska 4X4 network, Alaska Outdoors forum, and the Alaska Machine Gun Assn, who will allow firearms to be posted for sale.  I would try to advertise it for sale, at a good price, and do a individual to individual sale, which would cost the buyer a $200 stamp.

It would have to be a reallly good price to catch someone's interest.

I bought a Gemtech at half off retail that way.

hope this helps,

Danomite
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I don't know what GA has for internet firearms sales.  here in Alaska we have the Alaska 4X4 network, Alaska Outdoors forum, and the Alaska Machine Gun Assn, who will allow firearms to be posted for sale.  I would try to advertise it for sale, at a good price, and do a individual to individual sale, which would cost the buyer a $200 stamp.

hope this helps,

Danomite
325$ a fair price to you? I might know a person or two who may be interested.........

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

However, I have a threaded 5.56 phantom from Yankee Hill Machine. I want to upgrade to something that is QD and SWR's SPECWAR has caught my eye.

There is a dealer in town. If I wanted to sell it to a dealer, how would I go about that? How does it work and what would the difference be between me selling it to a co-worker who is considered a state resident?

Thanks for your time.

Just giving you options.

Have you contacted YHM about changing the mount type?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, I have a threaded 5.56 phantom from Yankee Hill Machine. I want to upgrade to something that is QD and SWR's SPECWAR has caught my eye.

There is a dealer in town. If I wanted to sell it to a dealer, how would I go about that? How does it work and what would the difference be between me selling it to a co-worker who is considered a state resident?

Thanks for your time.

Just giving you options.

Have you contacted YHM about changing the mount type?

Yeah, they told me I would be better off just buying a new QD can from them.

I don't want two cans. I just want one QD can.  I have a 10.5 SBR a 5.45 AR and a SCAR.  I need something I can move around readily.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
hope this helps,
Danomite
325$ a fair price to you? I might know a person or two who may be interested.........

Figure 50% of what a new one sells for.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up that same can for $400 + tax stamp for a new one just as a guide. Prepare to get raped, if it were me I would just keep it and have two.

Quoted:

Quoted:
hope this helps,
Danomite

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just picked up that same can for $400 + tax stamp for a new one just as a guide. Prepare to get raped, if it were me I would just keep it and have two.

Quoted:

Quoted:

hope this helps,

Danomite

looks like what I'll be doing then. Sigh, I guess I'll just purchase a .223 bolt gun and keep it on there permanently.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh darn...you'll have to have two
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I second the "keep it and have two" idea.  I don't think you'd get enough out of it in the end to make it worth selling.  That thread-on 556 can will be right at home on a .223 bolt gun.  I've tried using my YHM QD cans on bolt rifles with marginal success.  They work great on my auto's but I haven't had a ton of success making them work that well on bolt rifles.  The 556 QD worked ok on a .223 SPS-V, but the 762 kept coming loose one notch on my 10fcp 308; it never backed off more than that one notch, but then it was just barely loose enough to mess with the harmonics and degrade the accuracy some.  I recently picked up a thread-on 762 can for my bolt rifle and the groups basically shrunk in half...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I second the "keep it and have two" idea.  I don't think you'd get enough out of it in the end to make it worth selling.  That thread-on 556 can will be right at home on a .223 bolt gun.  I've tried using my YHM QD cans on bolt rifles with marginal success.  They work great on my auto's but I haven't had a ton of success making them work that well on bolt rifles.  The 556 QD worked ok on a .223 SPS-V, but the 762 kept coming loose one notch on my 10fcp 308; it never backed off more than that one notch, but then it was just barely loose enough to mess with the harmonics and degrade the accuracy some.  I recently picked up a thread-on 762 can for my bolt rifle and the groups basically shrunk in half...

Benji,

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering another YHM can.  However, the new SWR SPECWAR has really caught my eye.  I could do the YHM thing as well and just get the PWS brake for my 10.5 so the blast baffle doesn't get destroyed.  Decisions Decisions. I also want something that looks good on the SCAR and the YHM has got one ugly flash hider.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top