Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 7:55:34 PM EDT
I'm looking for a QD suppressor as I have multiple ar15s.

I'm wanting something with very minimal POI. I've read alot about the surefire and the Almost Zero POI. But the Price tag sucks. I've been looking at the YHM, but if I don't want to spend money on something that is junk when I could have saved and bought something awesome.

Now, everyone likes to save money, and that the YHM is rated for full auto. I work for a PD and I'm issued a Colt Commander that we are able to pretty much do what we please with as long as its OK'd with Administration.

What do you guys suggest? Anyone have a decent review on the YHM? I really don't want dish out 1300 + a tax stamp for the surefire..

Help a poor LEO out. haha

-Cook 60
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both. The surefire as a great quick disconnect, while the Phantom you have to tread it on 3 turns or so. The Phantom QD looks crappy too.
Both work as advertised. I run the FA556AR on my AR15 while the Phantom runs on my Remington varmit gun and T/C Contender pistol.

I think if the QD is mounted properly the POI shift will be acceptable and repeatable on the Phantom. No threads on the FA55AR so that is of course repeatable. The locking part is part of the suppressor, just a 1/2 tun on the Surefire.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
How about the Gemtech G5?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1

I have not noticed any POI shift with my G5 on a 14.5" M4 profile barrel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I have not noticed any POI shift with my G5 on a 14.5" M4 profile barrel.

Might have to check it out. 800-900 I would just save the extra for the surefire. I like the Length of the Surefire and YHM. Again i'm taking into consideration the 200 tax stamp. POI is pretty essential to me anyways...

I might just suck it up and save for the surefire...But It also needs to support full auto fire.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the YHM SS Phantom and I like it. My use is limited to the gun range though. I plan on buying a more expensive can for a HD AR. The Phantom is a little heavy IMO for anything other than range use. I don't use ear protection when using it but with prolonged use I could see a problem developing.
YHM Phantom demo
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I am sure the others are all good but I own the surefire and it's tits.

top suppressed, bottom unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Cook60,

You can go full auto on our suppressors as well. If you are going to be full auto "all" the time that is the game for the FA556MG. Just wanted you to have that info as well. If you have any other questions just touch base with me brother.

Garin Lee
SureFire Suppressor Division Project Manager
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#8]
why not go back over the barrel with the Surefire FA556AR?  Should work with anything except short barrels and long rails and i believe there is an adaptor that fits the Colt you referenced.   The design should get you less blowback, plus the can sits back further on the barrel.  I've read different reports on which surefire 556 can is quieter. Otherwise check out OPS INC.  cans.  adco firearms for all things OPS or denny's guns for a rediculous deal on the OPS 15th model which is the middle of the road with regard to the size-performance curve.
OPS cans mount back over the barrel as well and are durable and a well proven design.
i love my surefire, and i didnt pay retail, but i understand the price shock that turns a lot of people away before they get a chance to check one out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am sure the others are all good but I own the surefire and it's tits.
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/M4gerySBR/RRAsurefirezoom.jpg

top suppressed, bottom unsuppressed.
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/M4gerySBR/surefirezero.jpg

Please tell me you weren't aiming at the same spot? If so that POI is quite a bit........
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, its about a .5 MOA shift between suppressed and unsupressed.  I was aiming dead center or each circle, respectively (battle zero).  All suppressors have this to some extent, you are seriously disturbing the gas at the muzzle and that is what has the most influence on bullet path.  The huge advantage of the surefire mount is its repeatability.  Zero the rifle with the can on the gun, when you reattach the can every single time it goes back into the same EXACT position so there will be no shift at all.

The real key is notice the difference in the groups.  Any well made suppressor will actually make a rifle more accurate; the surefire is very well made and you can see that in my results...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#11]
That is why ever single suppressor has a 5 round test 100 yrd group shot before it leaves the building and it won't if it does not pass under 1 MOA (group or shift) of unsupressed. Most people don't know that we do this. It takes time and resources to do the testing, calculating and filing of all the targets with the suppressor build sheets but we feel it is worth it to the customer. We know what that suppressor will do before the customer ever does...Plus we like shooting. We have 55 gallon barrles full of empty brass to prove it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with the 7.62 phantom because I have 30 cal Ar's and bolt guns. I don't know what the weight diff. is but I don't plan to hump it all day either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top