Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 8:25:12 AM EDT
I am considering buying a suppressor for my AR that I use for home defense. If I purchase a "wet" suppressor can I put oil, grease, or some other artificial medium in the suppressor then store the suppressor (attached to my ar) for a long period of time? I am concerned that the oil, grease, or whatever I put in it will break down while in storage, somehow work its way into the barrel, damage the suppressor, or simply dry up and not work when needed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#1]
That will be up to the manufacturer as to whether that is a good idea or not on a particular suppressor.

Generally, the answer with rifles is no.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
rifles generally have too much pressure in order to shoot them wet....I have yet to see a rifle can that is rated for wet use.

Pistol calliber suppressors, due to the lower velocites can be shot wet, but I'm not sure what the effects of leaving some wire pulling gell in a can for weeks at a time...usually it evaporates a few minutes after it's put in due to shooting...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you have your answer on rifle suppressors.

This question is why I favor grease/vaseline on pistol suppressors.  It can be preloaded without major evaporation issues (vs. water or wire pulling gel) and stays put instead of running around (vs. oil).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
more info here
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. Looks like a dry supressor for me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top