Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2010 5:06:39 PM EDT
anyone know what the average life of a suppressor is these days?  i'm looking hard at the adv. armament m-1000.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask here

But it varies on type of ammo used, how often, how long and how well you maintain it...
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The two biggest impacts on suppressor life are going to be firing schedule and barrel length.

Full auto dumps will produce greater wear than normal shooting, and on a 10.5 inch, I've heard from several people in the industry that your blast baffle could be trashed in as little as 5000 rounds.

I can't find the quote from silencertalk, but I remember hearing that the m4-1000 mounted to a 16-inch barrel should be good for a 20,000-25,000 round service life with semi-auto use.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
anyone know what the average life of a suppressor is these days?  i'm looking hard at the adv. armament m-1000.

Longer than you if you treat it properly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
25k doesn't seem THAT long of a lifetime...I can see how one could put that many rounds down range within a reasonable amount of time....

Or, is that 25k between "rebuilds"??
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
25k doesn't seem THAT long of a lifetime...I can see how one could put that many rounds down range within a reasonable amount of time....

In our experience with 5.56 mm suppressors, the amount of fouling, without cleaning, can actually be a more decisive factor in the lifetime of a suppressor, than the erosion or wear of the baffles.

And 25K rounds is a pretty good lifetime for 5.56 mm suppressor, what does the suppressor have to be able to withstand, more than a typical 5.56 mm barrel does?

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just FYI, because of the way they are constructed, I'm almost positive AAC does not rebuild their centerfire cans. They give you the option of a half-price replacement. This of course involves a Form 3 transfer and another Form 4 tax-paid transfer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I forget with whom I spoke at YHM, but he said they've put nearly 80,000 through one of their Phantoms with no meaningful degradation in performance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I forget with whom I spoke at YHM, but he said they've put nearly 80,000 through one of their Phantoms with no meaningful degradation in performance.

THAT's why I buy YHM...
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thats good to hear. I am sold on YHM being the best bang for the buck. A SS Phantom is going to be the final peice of my SBR build.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats good to hear. I am sold on YHM being the best bang for the buck. A SS Phantom is going to be the final peice of my SBR build.

I have no intimate knowledge on the YHM products, but based on the experiences we have had over the years, I have serious doubts about that claim.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought some makes/models are rebuildable?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought some makes/models are rebuildable?

It depends on the contruction and damage. If the core can be removed from the outer tube, then you have a chance at a rebuild. If the tube is damaged, well...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have at least 10k on my AAC M4-2K.  It has been fired from a variety of platforms, but mainly an 11.5 incher.

Just a little full auto fire, but mainly normal range/training use.

So far, so good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have at least 10k on my AAC M4-2K.  It has been fired from a variety of platforms, but mainly an 11.5 incher.

What does your blast baffle look like?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In our experience with 5.56 mm suppressors, the amount of fouling, without cleaning, can actually be a more decisive factor in the lifetime of a suppressor, than the erosion or wear of the baffles.

And 25K rounds is a pretty good lifetime for 5.56 mm suppressor, what does the suppressor have to be able to withstand, more than a typical 5.56 mm barrel does?

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen

That was going to be my point also - 25K on barrel life isn't going to happen so it's a little crazy to expect a suppressor to somehow tolerate it.

On a side note, Mr. Jokinen, your suppressors look very promising.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen

I have a AWC Raider that has well over 50,000 rounds through it and it is still about the same as when I got it. I only shoot my reloads or Lake City ammo through it with clean powders. Never been cleaned other than some powder solvent left in the suppressor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top