Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2009 6:55:42 PM EDT
Hey All -

I recently finished my Recce build and want to get a suppressor for it. I was considering an Ops Inc 12th model for this build, but have decided instead to go with the 16th model due to their availability at ADCO. It seems like there is not much difference in terms of sound supression between these two suppressors and the 16th is slightly shorter and lighter than the 12th which works better with the Recce theme of the rifle.

Anyway...I'm curious how a 16th model would look on a 16" Noveske or similiar barrel with a 12" free float rail. I'm curious as to how far it will come back over the barrel. Also, if there is anyone who has a somewhat similiar setup to what I'm asking for, would you mind letting me know how the barrel needed to be reprofiled as I'm under the understanding that the 16th model mount typically requires the m4 profile to mount correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is my rifle length LMT MRP (has 12" rail and 16" barrel) with and without my Ops 16th.  I think it sits back over the barrel around 2.2 inches.  Since I buy my Ops cans from ADCO I always end up sending them my barrels to be setup that way I know everything is correct.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting that...that is almost exactly what I'm going for. How do you like the 16th model? From what I've read it very similiar in performance to the 12th model just slightly smaller and lighter. I like how the suppressor covers up the exposed barrel past the handguards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the 16th a lot.  I also have the 12th.  Yeah to me the sound reduction is the same.  Here is a pic with the Ops 14th.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah the 14th looks pretty sweet too...I'm thinking about getting a 14th for my BCM 16" middy...I'm up in the air between the 14th and a Surefire FA556AR...but I do love the simplistic look of the Ops cans so I may end up going that way. Thanks again for your help on this!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The_Accuser,

I have a related Ops 16th question. OP, I hope you don't mind my asking this in your thread.  In my research and discussion with some folks infinitely more experienced that myslef, I like what I'm hearing about the Ops cans and would like to purchase one as my first sound suppressor. I'm struggling with a decsion. Overall length and weight is important to me. I anticipate the primary use will be on a 12.5 rifle, and some use on a 14.5 or even a 16 inch.  My main priorities in order are:

-durability (NO FA or beta mag dumps are anticipated)
-size and weight, maintain good balance, as small weight increase as possible
-performance requirements: good for limited no ear protection shooting when outdoors in open area. Indoor protection: just enough so that a few shots without ear protection wouldn't explode my eardrums or render me nearly unconsious from the blast.

So, given these priorities, I'm wondering if you have any advice or comments on the 14th, 15th or 16th model choice I'm looking at?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a problem at all...the more information the better. Ask away :)
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The_Accuser,

I have a related Ops 16th question. OP, I hope you don't mind my asking this in your thread.  In my research and discussion with some folks infinitely more experienced that myslef, I like what I'm hearing about the Ops cans and would like to purchase one as my first sound suppressor. I'm struggling with a decsion. Overall length and weight is important to me. I anticipate the primary use will be on a 12.5 rifle, and some use on a 14.5 or even a 16 inch.  My main priorities in order are:

-durability (NO FA or beta mag dumps are anticipated)
-size and weight, maintain good balance, as small weight increase as possible
-performance requirements: good for limited no ear protection shooting when outdoors in open area. Indoor protection: just enough so that a few shots without ear protection wouldn't explode my eardrums or render me nearly unconsious from the blast.

So, given these priorities, I'm wondering if you have any advice or comments on the 14th, 15th or 16th model choice I'm looking at?

Thanks!

Good question and this is just my opinion maybe others will chime in.  I have the all three you mentioned plus the 12th but lets just stick to the three you mentioned.  No doubt all Ops cans meet you first requirement so based off the last three and my personal experience I would choose the 14th.  It is slightly shorter and lighter than the 15th (I can tell a difference) and to me has the same sound reduction.  The 16th is a freakin' awesome can but does weight more than the other two.  Go with the 14th first then get the 16th since they can use the same mount.  Here are a couple more pics for you guys.

LMT CQB 10.5" barrel with Ops 14th.

LMT CQB 16" barrel with Ops 14th.

Rock River M4 with Ops 15th.

Left to right: Ops 14th, 15th, 16th, 12th

I can thank the good folks at ADCO for the awesome cans and fixing up my rifles with the collars and breaks.  Now all I need is the Ops M4-S....

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I am waiting on my first Ops suppressor. I went with the 12th due to it going on a MK12 type build. IF I remember it right (I could be wrong), the 16th is the same can as the 12th but uses a diff mounting system. The 16th uses the mounting system that 14th and 15th use. I think this reads right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Accuser -

For some reason that mount you have looks like the 12th model mount. Is this just the way the picture makes it look? From the looks of things the 16 model will almost totally coverup the exposed part of the barrel that comes after the handguards. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am waiting on my first Ops suppressor. I went with the 12th due to it going on a MK12 type build. IF I remember it right (I could be wrong), the 16th is the same can as the 12th but uses a diff mounting system. The 16th uses the mounting system that 14th and 15th use. I think this reads right.

The 12th and 16th models are just awesome cans.  Yes, I am fairly certain they both have the same baffle stack but the 12th model sits just a little farther back over the barrel than the others.  Yes, the 14th, 15th, 16th and the M4-S ADCO carries all use the same mount.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Accuser -

For some reason that mount you have looks like the 12th model mount. Is this just the way the picture makes it look? From the looks of things the 16 model will almost totally coverup the exposed part of the barrel that comes after the handguards. Is this correct?

It is the mount for the 14th,15th and 16th models.  I tried putting on the 12th and that was a no go.  Pretty much it does cover the entire exposed part of the barrel on the rifle length MRP.  The actually rail length on the MRP may be just a little longer than 12"...kind of depends where you start measuring from so if you are using a standard 16" barrel and say a DD or Larue 12" rail the barrel may stick out just a little more than mine but probably not much.  Below is a picture of a standard Rock River CAR A4 upper (16" stainless barrel) with Knight's Armament medium free float RAS (10 3/4" long) with an Ops can.  You can see there is a little more exposed barrel.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Accuser -

Thanks again for all the info!

Not to take this thread totally off topic...but do you have any expierence with the ops 14th model vs the Surefire FA556AR? I'm considering one of these two for my 16" middy. I like them  because they reflex over the barrel. Any thoughts on the surefire as it is clear you like the ops quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have any experience with Surefire's silencers.  I have been around them and they seem nice...just verrrrrry expensive.  Most folks that have them seem to really like them.  Even though the Ops aren't quick detach (not something I really need) their mounting system is rock solid.  The cans lock up tight....no play and they stay on tight.  I see a number of threads where folks talk about their AAC or Surefire cans having some play in them and that would worry me.  Don't get me wrong those other folks make very nice products and I do own AAC stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool...well I'm going to get the 16th for my Recce...from what you've said and other reviews I've read I won't be disappointed. If I like it as much as I'm expecting I may just go ahead and grab a 14th for my middy eventually.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool...well I'm going to get the 16th for my Recce...from what you've said and other reviews I've read I won't be disappointed. If I like it as much as I'm expecting I may just go ahead and grab a 14th for my middy eventually.

Great choice...you won't be disappointed.  Make sure to post pics later.

Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top