Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 4:30:06 AM EDT
Hey guys/gals, I finally have a Cleo to sign off on y paperwork and to see the least I am pumped about it.  Now, I am not sure where to begin with this new suppressor frenzy I am in.   I have read tons and cannot decide what I want to do as far as choosing my first weapon to get one for.

Want a quick-detach.

Here are my thoughts:

16" Bushy, already threaded and shoot the most.  And as I acquire more AR's I could swap the can from gun to gun?

or Rem 700 5r .308.  If I do this gun, I was thinking when I order (eventually) the Larue OSR .308, I could swap the can back and forth.  Is this possible?

Which would the can be more practical and effective on?  What suppressors do you recommend for the mentioned guns?  

I have never shot a gun using a suppressor, and I understand its not like the movies.  Is it possible to remove ear protection when firing with a suppressor alone?  I appreciate your opinions and will continue to search and read more of the great info on this board.  Thanks again!!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Most important thing.  What is your price limit?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
QD is the easiest to swap between hosts.  A flash hider on each platform you want to suppress is rather handy.  I have a YHM .30 Cal Phantom that works well on an AR and a AK.  The .308 option can be used on smaller calibers, but at the cost of extra weight/bulk (I don't notice it much; I just enjoy having suppressors ).  The .30 cal can will give a little more leeway on your Bushy muzzle threads.  The 700 will be the quiestest by far; no noise from the action cycling.  If I remember, I'll post pics of my AR/AK when I get home

WASR-10 with can:

WASR 10 beside can:

WASR-10 & AR:

AR with can:

Cheers,
cosmos556
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Price range=$1000 or so.  Hopefully a little less if possible, but I don't want to lose quality over a couple hundred dollars.

So, if I understand this correctly, you can use a can suitable for my .308 bolt gun that would also work with the .223 Bushy?  I understand  that the action would be louder on the AR compared to a bolt gun, but what about the shot in itself?  Thanks for the quick responses already, I'm so excited I'm sure I will be checking this thread all day.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My .223 soudns like a .22 with a AAC m4-2000...and it takes away all the recoil and concussion of the 11" barrel
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
A YHM .30 Cal Phantom was $650 (with 5/8-24 FH), 2 QD flash hiders for the AK/AR were $75/apiece, and the tax stamp was $200.  So that's right at a grand to have it on two rifles I love witha little room to grow when I can finally start on my .308 project.  I'd been saving for a while, and it was my last gift to myself right before I got married (well, a SilencerCo Sparrow somehow was paid for and submitted as well as a SBR Form 1...)  There are other suppressors that are loved here, but for my first can I'm absolutely ecstatic about it.  The muzzle blast from each shot is comparable to a .22LR HV round.  It's sorta ears safe in an open field, but I wouldn't want to do it for more than a few shots due to ejection port snap.  If you want hollywood quiet, a centerfire rifle is not a good starting point.  The great thing about a YHM can is the versatility; if you look at their homepage, they have a lot of thread adapters in stock.  There's a member here, mjohn3006, that has a YHM .30 cal can on a AR, AK, FAL, and M1A IIRC.  

Don't forget to check your barrel threads.  I wanted to try my can on a AMD-65 pistol, but the threads were too long/slightly off center so I went with a WASR-10 sidefolder.  The AR is a DoubleStar 20" A2, nothing fancy, but a lot of fun.  If you shoot any tannerite with your silencer on, you'll definitely hear which is the shot and which is the reactive target!

I'm sure a few other members will be along to talk about which .30 cal cans they use/prefer, but for me I'm very satisfied.  I've wanted a multi-caliber can since 2003, and finally got the money together this year, and it's been wonderful
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If you wanted to use  1 can for 2 calibers, I would go with the 762SD.  It's lighter then some of the 223 cans out there and probably one of the lightest .308 can on the market without getting into the titanium.  It also shares the same mount as the M4 1000.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top