Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 5:47:11 PM EDT
Ok I have an interesting question about my YHM Mite SS. I know that it says all over the manual to not push .223 through the suppressor and rightfully so because of the pressure the a standard .223 exerts (around 55000 psi). I got the Mite in SS specifically so that I could use it on all of my .22 and it is rated for full auto 5.7x28 rifles. I have done torture tests with factory 5.7 ammo (SS192, 195lf, and 197) involving almost 800 rounds non-stop (local SOT's post sample P90) and aside from getting really, really hot, the blast baffle and suppressor as a whole showed no signs of wear or deformation.

My question is this: I understand that with .223, the volume is greater but with factory 5.7x28 rated at around 50000 psi, would it damage the suppressor to use sub-sonic .223 rounds that generate around 3000 psi? Am I missing some factor here or are they just saying to stay away from full power .223? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it man. I called YHM directly when I ordered mine back in Feb. and the gentleman I spoke with wouldn't even recommend I shoot 17 mach 2 or 17HMR. His reply was, "it is a .22 caliber suppressor, sir". I wouldn't even try, the result could be potentially catastrophic for gun, can, and most importantly the shooter.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm only going to be putting .22 rounds through mine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Though .223 is a ".22 cal" projectile, you know that the pressures are much higher than this suppressor was engineered to withstand. Get a dedicated 5.56 can if you want to shoot .223. Just sayin'. Also, this is the response I got back from YHM when I sent them my tech question about the SS Mite.

Sir,
Thank you for your interest in our products. Yes, you can shoot either .22 mag or .17HMR through either a
Stainless Steel Mite or a Wraith .22 with no problems. You CANNOT shoot them out of an aluminum Mite,(YHM-3340-A
orYHM-3360-A), as the pressures are too great for an aluminum suppressor and you will damage the suppressor. There
is no problem though useing them in a stainless steel suppressor. One other note, the Wraith .22 is NOT a take
apart suppressor. It is like our Phantoms and does not come apart. Only the Mites come apart.

Thanks,
Tom Camilleri
Sales-Tech
YHM
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: My question is this: I understand that with .223, the volume is greater but with factory 5.7x28 rated at around 50000 psi, would it damage the suppressor to use sub-sonic .223 rounds that generate around 3000 psi? Am I missing some factor here or are they just saying to stay away from full power .223? Thanks in advance

I wouldn't fire subsonic .223 through it and I am positive YHM would consider the warranty null and void in this case.

ETA: DON'T BE CRAZY, HARRY!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sound like good advice. Guess I'll just have to break down and get that .308 can I've been drooling over
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, two cans is always better than one can anyway, right?

Keep in mind the old SWAT addage, "Two is one, one is none". Lol. Get'um both.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Mr Camilleri needs to get his stories straight.

Sorry for the cut and paste this actually reads from bottom to top.

Sir,
Yes, we are talking about an aluminum Mite.

Thanks,
Tom Camilleri
Sales-Tech
YHM

>I just want to confirm your reply and insure that we are talking about
>aluminum Mite.

Sir,
You can shoot 17hmr with no problems at all through your .22 Mite.

Thanks,
Tom Camilleri
Sales-Tech
YHM

I have recently purchased a yankee hill mite 22lr suppressor and am in the
process of waiting to get my paperwork cleared.  Anyway in the mean time I
am going to be getting my host guns ready for the suppressor.

My question is that are you able to fire a 17hmr through the 22 mite?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah that could be a potential problem for them if they are telling customers different things... The only thing I can figure is that he had the question come up several times and finally talked to someone who did engineering and T&E and they informed him that the SS Mite was rated for .22mag and .17hmr, while the other aluminum mite was not. I guess we could post this in the Industry forums to get a straight answer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah that could be a potential problem for them if they are telling customers different things... The only thing I can figure is that he had the question come up several times and finally talked to someone who did engineering and T&E and they informed him that the SS Mite was rated for .22mag and .17hmr, while the other aluminum mite was not. I guess we could post this in the Industry forums to get a straight answer.

I'm an idiot gentleman, and apparently lack attention to detail. Mine's the aluminum mite and that's why the guy told me .22 only. The stainless is GTG with .22mag and 17hmr. Again, apologies
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
No worries. I figured the guy from tech that emailed me back knew his stuff...  I am very happy with all the YHM products I own and their awesome customer service.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No worries. I figured the guy from tech that emailed me back knew his stuff...  I am very happy with all the YHM products I own and their awesome customer service.

Very nice. I've also got a 5.56 Phantom I'm still waiting on my Form 4 on. Can't wait for that to get here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top