Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:39:45 PM EDT
Local silencer dealer(South Dakota Silencer) had a promo shoot today and got a wicked baffle strike after switching to surplus ammo on the AR10. The can is a Liberty and did great until the cheaper surplus ammo was used. I think we came up with roughly 12 shots or so being fired after the ammo switch before this happened.

It looks like the bullet wobbled roughly halfway through the baffles and struck 4-5 of them before exiting. The force of the strike busted where the baffle connects to the threaded mount portion. Fortunately the serialized portion was undamaged so the can will be cheap to repair.

It flew off in 2 pieces with the main sleeve going about 50yds and the baffle/end cap going another 30yds roughly

Check out the pictures and it was also captured on video! -Video courtesy of SD Silencer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-KG1odvLs

Photos courtesy of SD SIlencer

Close ups of the strickes. Courtesy of SD Silencer

The ammo

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That was pretty cool the way it was launched down range!
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That was pretty cool the way it was launched down range!

Ya it pretty much launched it like a nerf gun

I cant get the video to embed
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
DAMN!

Well it's good to hear it will be relatively easy to get repaired.  I have some 9mm silencers only.  I've been thinking about 5.56 or 7.62.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting to see the interior geometry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
is that replaceable or does he have to pony up for a new one?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
is that replaceable or does he have to pony up for a new one?

Read the original post.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a Suppressor/Grenade launcher...

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
How common is this?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Its a Suppressor/Grenade launcher...

Thats what I said. It looks like the M1 grenade launchers that attach to the end of the barrel

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
[arfcomass] I didn't know glock made silencers[/arfcomass]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy Shit, that's South African .308.... and SA is not "Cheap" surplus ammo, it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
from the video

It's funny cause it's not mine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Holy Shit, that's South African .308.... and SA is not "Cheap" surplus ammo, it's good stuff.

Really? I think it had a 1976 or 1980 headstamp if that makes any difference.

I think they ran quite a bit of good .308 ammo through it and then bam a few rounds into this stuff this happened
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can hear a :ping: from the shot that was before the shot that launched the can.

I wonder if that the first baffle strike before the second one that launched the can.

Yep; it sounded like the second shot struck the baffles, probably deforming them, although it made it through.

The third shot hit the baffles which were damaged by the second and off she came.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The owner of Liberty Suppressors, David Saylors, called me tonight and will fix for free... no questioned asked.  David is a great guy to work with, I do recommend them and their products, partly because him and his wife Teresa are so great to work with.  

We are almost 100% sure the bullet somehow came apart and struck a baffle midway through the silencer.  Part of the jacket is still in the baffle.  The silencer is still in my company's name, but my brother in law purchased it and was waiting on his paperwork to clear.  He was not there today, so let's not tell him.  David assures me it will be replaced quickly.

The shoot out was a lot of fun, told my wife only expecting a few folks, might take an hour.  5 hours later and a big crowd of folks later, I returned home.  Glad no one was hurt and it is amazing to me we had just turned the video camera on for the first time all day and within 15 seconds it happened.

Thanks to those that came and please view the video if you have not already.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-KG1odvLs

Thanks,
Brandon Maddox of South Dakota Silencer
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they ran quite a bit of good .308 ammo through it and then bam a few rounds into this stuff this happened

I have shot a bunch of SA through my AR10s with a 762 SD with no problems.

What makes you think it's the ammo?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#19]
We were shooting the AR-10 all day long with no problems and then we switched to the BALL SA ammo date 1980, after about 8 rounds is when it happened.  Ammo looks "old".
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have shot a bunch of SA through my AR10s with a 762 SD with no problems.

What makes you think it's the ammo?

It was the only variable that changed. We checked the can and it was tight and there were no problems with the other ammo(I cant remember what it was off the top of my head). As soon as the battle pack ammo was brought out  this happened.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the ammo

What do you guys think it was?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad nobody got hurt.

The shooter's safety glasses won't work to well perched up on top of his ball cap
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Tyler - I sent you some more photos I took tonight of close ups, might help folks even better diagnose the cause.  I am not sure how to upload to your original post.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tyler - I sent you some more photos I took tonight of close ups, might help folks even better diagnose the cause.  I am not sure how to upload to your original post.

posted them up in original post
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Awwwww I see wolf ammo in the picture....must have been that (so it's the wrong caliber)
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Awwwww I see wolf ammo in the picture....must have been that (so it's the wrong caliber)

The first 60 rounds were Silver Bear .308. The rest was SA surplus. None of it was Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Well now it looks like he has a rebar cutter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Damn, I would not have thought twice about shooting SA .308 with a can.

Shit!!!!

Glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd be pissed if I launched a can down range.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#31]
WOW cool video. I never knew what a suppressor looked like inside. Ive heard of rounds keyholing, is this maybe what happened?
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#32]
SA 308 did a trick similar (minus the flying parts) to the baffles on my can on my AR-10.  Final conclusion was the AR-10 barrel was a little off of coencentric and that ammo just happend to be the one to go just enough to strike the last baffle and end cap.

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A long time ago (1986, as I recall), a close friend of mine asked me if it was worth risking an expensive NFA weapon to save a couple of cents on ammunition. Whether other lots have had no problems is not relevant. You have no idea as to why it was surplused, how it was stored, storage temperatures, or how it was handled.

There is merit in paying a little more for US made ammo from a reputable manufacturer who backs his product.
Have to agree with Phil on this one.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#34]
What and you think just because the ammo is made in the US that you will never have issues. Think again every mfr has had issues with QC at one time or another. Look at all the firearm recalls.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What and you think just because the ammo is made in the US that you will never have issues. Think again every mfr has had issues with QC at one time or another. Look at all the firearm recalls.

If you contact Remington about their bad ammo, odds are, they will compensate you for the loss.  Try contacting the manufacturer of South African Surplus and see how they offer to help.

bigbore whats your take on what most likely happened? just curious as you are a pretty knowledgable member
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#37]
The shooter didn't have the proper amount of eye relief.  He got spanked by the scope when the suppressor flew off and he just sat there dazed and confused.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The shooter didn't have the proper amount of eye relief.  He got spanked by the scope when the suppressor flew off and he just sat there dazed and confused.

Thats correct. There was little to recoil prior to the strike and when it hit the rifle jarred back pretty hard and he said he got wacked
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Cant believe you guys caught it on video, gotta love the guy in the background "it's only funny 'cause it's not mine". Atleast the shooter is alright and the manufacturer is going to fix it for free.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are we positive that the barrel thread concentricity was spot-on?  I't shot a lot of SA surplus and never have I seen anything in the form of key-holed targets to make me worry about it being shot through a can.

ETA:  I would certainly not ever consider SIlver Bear to be anything near "premium" ammunition.  In fact I'm not sure I would consider it better than the SA surplus.  At least the SA surplus had to meet a government minimum criteria before being released for consumption and then stored for years and finally sold to us as surplus.  One can't say the same about Wolf/Silver Bear/Barnaul etc steel-cased ammo that we buy here.  Who knows what specs the Ruskies used in making that ammo.

i was thinking the same thing. I'd have no problem with SA surplus but no way in hell SB would go through my can

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Just out of curiosity, does anyone think that this can may have cracked prior to the baffle strike?

Are there any good, high quality photos of the cracks?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The silencer is still in my company's name, but my brother in law purchased it and was waiting on his paperwork to clear.  He was not there today, so let's not tell him.  David assures me it will be replaced quickly.
You took an outgoing transfer to the range to let the whole town try out?  I would be extremely pissed if that were my item...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:15:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Do as I say, not as I do.  I have 20K rounds of Portuguese .308 that shoots AMAZING from my suppressed model 70. It cost me .12 a round 6 yrs ago.  For what it would cost me to replace it with domestic ammo - Im still coming out ahead risking a bad round destroying my suppressor because I saved enough money to buy 2 replacement suppressors at least.

Same situation here.
I have thousands of rounds of Portuguese .308 that shoots AMAZING from my suppressed MK14 SEI Mod 0.
Bought it cheap and stacked it deep

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
that can looked awful long.  Was there a possibilty that the can had started top come loose, unthread and actually get in the way of the bullet?   It looks like it supposed to come apart and it could have unthreaded at the barrel or at the end caps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The silencer is still in my company's name, but my brother in law purchased it and was waiting on his paperwork to clear.  He was not there today, so let's not tell him.  David assures me it will be replaced quickly.
You took an outgoing transfer to the range to let the whole town try out?  I would be extremely pissed if that were my item...

Kharn

no shit.

No it was his brothers can and he had full permission if I remember right. It was all oked and the owner might have even been there but I dont remember the exacts

Edit: I need to read more. I think SDSilencers response was ment to be humorous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top