Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 6:38:15 PM EDT
Has anyone done this or tested the structural durability?

I have a Ruger 77/44 and had the barrel threaded based on a phone conversation with YHM. Their tech and smith/engineer said I was GTG. Well, I figured that getting that in writing would be a good idea and sent them an email. The first reply was NO GO. I replied informing them of my phone conversation and they replied back saying that it might be ok but they are not sure and have not tested it. They went on to say that if it blew it up, it was on me and they had no plans to test it any time soon.

Any real world knowledge? (This not the M2 can, it is the plain Cobra 45)

Wes
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Since .44mag would be supersonic and pretty much defeat the purpose of a .45 can (.45 cans are already loud to boot) why not just stick to .44 special shot out of your ruger?
I would have to image the terminal similarities of .44 special and .45acp make the gas pressure and output nearly the same.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen 45 cans used on 44 mag rifles but with subsonic handloads not full power loads.
The 77/44 has a very slow twist barrel something like 1:18 twist, 240grn maybe 260grn bullets will be stable but
I wouldnt go heavier or you may get the dreaded baffle strike.
I went with a custom 1:11 twist barrel for my 44mag so i could spit the 240's and heavy long 300grns+ bullets.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have seen 45 cans used on 44 mag rifles but with subsonic handloads not full power loads.
The 77/44 has a very slow twist barrel something like 1:18 twist, 240grn maybe 260grn bullets will be stable but
I wouldnt go heavier or you may get the dreaded baffle strike.
I went with a custom 1:11 twist barrel for my 44mag so i could spit the 240's and heavy long 300grns+ bullets.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/TCEncore44magIntegralw.jpg

Forgot to ask - What is the can you have and what material is the outer tube?

Wes

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine works fine, too.

I would think low pressured rounds like .44 Spl. or subsonic .44 mag should be just fine.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, but is yours made for 45 or 44 and what is the tube made of, steel or aluminum or???

Wes
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
from the looks of it garret is running a bowers cac45 wich is aluminum,garret how does the 44spl sound out of the cac45? and redtaz is using an srt im not sure what they build them out of.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
from the looks of it garret is running a bowers cac45 wich is aluminum,garret how does the 44spl sound out of the cac45? and redtaz is using an srt im not sure what they build them out of.

kapnkrunch is correct about the can being an aluminum CAC45 (.45 caliber can).  Of course the difference here is that mine is built for full-auto from a subgun.  I'm not sure if the YHM is a pistol-only can, or if it was made for subguns as well.

It sounded really good from the Contender.  I've shot both .44 Spl. and .44 Mag subsonic handloads.  The only real problem I had with it was that the can added so much weight, that the POI shifted several feet at 100 yds.  I finally sold off the barrel.

But I have another .44 host in the works for that can.  Just need to get the barrel threaded so I can try it out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You'd definitely be fine with subsonic handloads. Even something like a 340 grain LBT at 950 FPS should be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top