Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 5:38:12 AM EDT
Not looking for conjecture and opinion, hopefully someone has first hand experience with this one:

Some 9MM can's operate on the Beretta M9 without the need of a Neilson's Device/ Booster/ LCD.  Is it feasible to use a 13.5x1 LH boostered can on a Beretta M9/92FS ?  Will damage occur?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a M9 not function with boosterless can. A M9 will be hard on the booster unless you render the booster inoperable by replacing the spring with a metal sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured that was the case, so a booster on a Beretta M9 = damage.  Sad day, guess I'll leave that can dedicated to the M9 and swap the other to 3-lug.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I figured that was the case, so a booster on a Beretta M9 = damage.  Sad day, guess I'll leave that can dedicated to the M9 and swap the other to 3-lug.

Really?  I called TROS and asked them specifically about that since I have one of their 9mm cans and he told me that it wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never seen a M9 not function with boosterless can.

Try hanging a subgun can on the end of the Beretta.  I'm pretty sure the gun would choke with an MK9 or a CAC-9 installed.  Also, look in the archives or over on silencertalk.  There are a number of people that have reported having problems getting their boosterless pistol cans (not heavy subgun cans) to cycle.

Quoted:
A M9 will be hard on the booster unless you render the booster inoperable by replacing the spring with a metal sleeve.

I'm pretty sure SWR recommends using the booster on an M9.  The barrel does move, just not in the same manner as a Browning-type action.  It would be different than putting a boostered can on a fixed-barreled gun.  You might need to get a different weight booster spring for the can to work optimally, but again it would not be the same as running a booster on a fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I emailed SWR a while back on this.  They recommend using the LCD on a Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I emailed SWR a while back on this.  They recommend using the LCD on a Beretta.

I have heard them many times saying this as well.................
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#7]
YES!  This was the experience I was hoping for.  I know with light 9mm cans the beretta can function sans LCD/neilson device.  I have an Impuls IIa and a spare beretta barrel.  I'll throw the 3 lug on my Trinity and leave it on my 9mm carbines and use the Swiss Impuls IIa on all my pistols.  Thanks mates.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never seen a M9 not function with boosterless can.

Try hanging a subgun can on the end of the Beretta.  I'm pretty sure the gun would choke with an MK9 or a CAC-9 installed.  Also, look in the archives or over on silencertalk.  There are a number of people that have reported having problems getting their boosterless pistol cans (not heavy subgun cans) to cycle.

Quoted:
A M9 will be hard on the booster unless you render the booster inoperable by replacing the spring with a metal sleeve.

I'm pretty sure SWR recommends using the booster on an M9.  The barrel does move, just not in the same manner as a Browning-type action.  It would be different than putting a boostered can on a fixed-barreled gun.  You might need to get a different weight booster spring for the can to work optimally, but again it would not be the same as running a booster on a fixed barrel.

I guess I am just lucky then because every m9 I have hung a can on has cycled flawlessly,but you are right I have never hung a sub-gun can on one(and probably never will,along with looking in the archives at silencer talk). I still say an m9 is going to be hard a booster without at least putting a stiffer spring in.I am not saying it wont work.I am just saying at the very least it is going to shorten the lifespan a bit. I have a slow mo video somewhere (I will see if I can find it)showing the difference between a 226 and a m9 on a multi-mount and on a form 1 can I made and you can easily see the difference in the amount of travel.But like I said before maybe I am just lucky because I also had no problems with a usp45 and a blackside and a 1911 with a form 1 boosterless can.I also dont own any swr cans,so if that is what they reccommend on their cans I say go for it.This is a little off subject but we got a gemtech sandstorm in the other day and it is awesome in every way. I might have to buy it for myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top