Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 6:42:21 PM EDT
can I get one suppressor that will do both? obviously I wont put a 22 can on the AR, but I have an AR that I would like to suppress. Can I swap it over to my 22?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps we can tack a thread about this topic up at the top.

This question is probably asked once a week AT LEAST.  I know I asked it, too, when I first came here.

Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Short answer is yes, you can get one supressor for use on both a 5.56 and 22lr.  That said, it's not recommended.  Here's why.  A 22 can will not stand up to the pressure of a 5.56 round, so you're going to have to purchase a 5.56 can.  Typically, these cans are much larger and heavier than a 22 can.  You don't want a 1 lb or more can hanging off the end of your little P22 do you?  Also, 22lr is a dirty round.  Why shoot crap through your 5.56 can and fill it up with carbon and lead.

You're much better off having a dedicated can for each of those calibers.  I'd start out with a 22 silencer.  It's cheaper to shoot, cheaper to buy, and as close as you'll get to Hollywood quiet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a dedicated .22. Then buy a 5.56.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy a dedicated .22. Then buy a 5.56.

+1

That pretty well sums it up.  Believe me, we've all gone through it.  You have limited funds, and you want to get something that gives you maximum flexibility.  A full-sized .223 can isn't all that bad on the end of a short .22 rifle, but it's terribly cumbersome on a pistol.  

Also, a .223 can is optimized for use with a high-pressured round, and a dedicated can is going to be optimized for the lower pressure of a rimfire.  The smaller rimfire can will often sound better with .22 even though the centerfire can is larger.

I ended up buying a .223 can that is the same size as most .22LR cans.  Being that small, it is only rated for semi-auto .223 fire.  Looking back, I should have just gone with a dedicated .22 can and bought a centerfire can later on.  As noted, the can is not as quiet as a dedicated rimfire can.  Also, it is still kind of loud on a 16" AR15.  Any more, I only use that can for full-auto .22 (for which it is rated) and on a long-barreled single-shot .223.  

I've since bought another can for .22LR, and I'm waiting on a full-sized .223 can.  

The other can gets 95% .22LR through it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top