Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 10:49:38 AM EDT
The tacked thread in the General Class III forum has dead links.

I will be picking up a copy of Willmaker tomorrow.  What else do I need?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to install it and follow it

Edit:  If you failed to follow the software, hit F1 for help

Serious though you can not fuck up.  It took me 10 minutes.  Print, notarize and you are done.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It took me around the same amount of time.
For just doing a gun trust it is great software. Just make sure to comply with all your local and state laws. IE what you need to do to make it legal. In nc just notarizing it does the trick unless you have titled property on your assignment of property sheet.
If you need the trust to do more than nfa stuff i'd go the lawyer route.
but for just a gun trust. Willmaker will do the trick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
it walks you through the steps one by one and explains them. You basically pick names of people you want to get your stuff when you die then print it out and get it notorized
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone from TX know if all I need to do is notarize?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged so I can send a link later. I did my Willmaker trust following the instructions on another website that I have saved on my home computer.

Yes, in Texas you only need to have it notarized. First the trust, then the declaration.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it walks you through the steps one by one and explains them. You basically pick names of people you want to get your stuff when you die then print it out and get it notorized

A couple questions.

1- What would happen in the event that someone with a suppressor/full-auto/SBR passes away? Suppose the beneficiary of the trust is your son. Will he have to do any paperwork/pay any tax on the item? I can't imagine Uncle Sam letting a few tax dollars thru his fingers.

2- Do the laws regarding trusts vary from state to state? Is simply printing out the form and having it notarized legal everywhere?

3- What are the pros and cons of using a Willmaker program, relative to using an attorney?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If you assign property to the trust, the property remains in the trust. After all, the TRUST owns the tax stamp, not you or your son.

Yes, trust laws vary state to state. Willmaker will account for this as it asks you where you are from.

The best thing about the software is the price. It's CHEAP compared to a lawyer, however, it is fairly limited. I purchased the software thinking it'd be a little more complex, as I wanted to do a trust with my father as a co-trustee. Not going to happen. Attorneys know the language and can explain it to you, but furthermore, the biggest advantage they offer is the ability to FORESEE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS.

I called a local lawyer about having an NFA trust done yesterday. Within 5 minutes, I'd been referred three times, ending up with the name and number of one of the NRA's council. Lots of attorney's won't touch them. One of the ones I spoke with didn't even know if it'd actually fly.

Needless to say, I'm still investigating.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
About 4 months ago my son and I were at the Valley Forge Gun Show in PA. There were two Lawyers from out of state that setup a table to do Trust Funds. I did take their brochure but I think I tossed it. Thet were charging somewhere between $350.00 to $400.00 to setup the trust fund. I have a LLC and I am thinking about switching over to a trust due to the yearly PA tax return I must file.

If I ever see the lawyers again I will get their brochure and post. I think their fees were too stiff. I would pay a Lawyer $100.00 to do the Trust setup.

Dane
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
bump
That's my understanding: just have someone notarize it and it's good in Texas.  But I can't cite an authoritative reference for that.  I'm looking at picking up Willmaker myself...
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump
That's my understanding: just have someone notarize it and it's good in Texas.  But I can't cite an authoritative reference for that.  I'm looking at picking up Willmaker myself...

That's all I did.  Still waiting on Stamp for SBR but they haven't flat out denied it yet so figured I didn't screw it up too bad
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a download version of Quicken Willmaker 2008 ($19.95), installed it, ran the initial update and then started the process on Thursday night.

I used my full legal name as the trust name

Named a successor trustee

Named a third party to grant my successor control of the trust should I become incapacitated

Funded the trust with an old .22 rifle (complete with serial #)

Printed out the trust and associated docs (includes some "fluff" that has no effect on anything as relates to an NFA trust).

Stopped by my bank and they notarized it for free in about 5 minutes.

Made 2 copies of the trust and schedule A form (a total of 7 forms all together).

Met my class 3 guy at a local show on Sunday, gave him 2 copies of the trust and paid for my suppressor.  Once it gets in (had to order) I'll sign the form 4 and he'll mail everything out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top