Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 6:07:28 AM EDT
After reading the FAQ, I noticed that, by law, you do not need to notify the ATF when traveling across state lines (as opposed to other ATF items, such as an SBR).  With that said, do you need to file the application, pay taxes, or anything else when moving?  I am not 100% certain of what my residence status will be 2 years from now.  Currently I am in NM, but there is a good chance that I will be in TX sometime next year, give or take.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you will have to notify ATF that you are moving.

You can use a 5320.20 to do the move then when you get a permanent address send them a letter updating your address for your NFA gear.

Thats what I did, just sent them a letter with my new address and verified it 2 months later(average processing time according to ATF).

YOU WILL NOT HAVE PAY ANOTHER TAX or anything(unless there are local issues that require it, but nothing at the Fed level).

-TS
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to look at the state law on trust also.

If it/they are in a trust you also need to change the address and get it notarize again.  Some state do required that you register you trust.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You might want to look at the state law on trust also.

If it/they are in a trust you also need to change the address and get it notarize again.  Some state do required that you register you trust.  

I'm in the same boat, I just moved to FL from VA.  My NFA goodies are still in VA, since I'm currently living in a hotel.  Does Florida require individuals to register Trusts?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have a good source to check state by state trust laws?  I'm in the same boat with these guys, I'm in AZ now with NFA toys left behind while I house shop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no site that I am aware of that deals strictly with Trusts.

I would suggest a friendly visit to a lawyer, will be the best bucks you ever spend, unless you can get soem free advice, which all and out just gotta ask.

-TS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top