Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2008 3:19:07 PM EDT
Just looking for some advice on which suppressor you would recommend for a 9mm Sig 226 Tactical.  There are Evo 9's locally available for MSRP or I could transfer a Trident from Major Malfunction for about $150 less.  I'd like the ability to switch between the thread pattern of the Sig (now) and 1/2x28 sometime in the future but I am not sure what is involved from cost and process perspectives.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with SWR.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would go with SWR.

Any particular reason why you would go this route?  I am curious if it is a customer service, warranty, noise reduction, first round pop, price or other reason.  Your input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
SWR tested the best on the independent site www.silencerresearch.com

The new Gem Tech Tundra and Multimount are looking good, but I haven't seen them tested as of yet.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
After hearing a SWR T9 on a Sig 226, I was sold. Im looking for my first sig, which will be a 226 tactical (threaded barrel) and ill get the SWR.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Both are excellent. Both have excellent service and support, a wide variety of mount options and will work well on anything and everything you want it to work on.

I have shot my Evo 9 along side a friends Trident, both on sigs.  I'd give a slight edge to the Trident. I was also able to shoot his Trident on my 9mm SBR AR15.  There was no real difference that I could hear between it and my evo, but we were shooting under cover and the AR is a loud platform to begin with.

So, I'd go with which ever one was in stock.  If your dealer has the Evo on the shelf, get it.  If you have to order one or just don't mind waiting, (and possibly paying for a transfer) I'd order the Trident. The evo is slightly smaller and lighter, but the Trident is a little bit quieter.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Both are excellent. Both have excellent service and support, a wide variety of mount options and will work well on anything and everything you want it to work on.

I have shot my Evo 9 along side a friends Trident, both on sigs.  I'd give a slight edge to the Trident. I was also able to shoot his Trident on my 9mm SBR AR15.  There was no real difference that I could hear between it and my evo, but we were shooting under cover and the AR is a loud platform to begin with.

So, I'd go with which ever one was in stock.  If your dealer has the Evo on the shelf, get it.  If you have to order one or just don't mind waiting, (and possibly paying for a transfer) I'd order the Trident. The evo is slightly smaller and lighter, but the Trident is a little bit quieter.

Ditto.

I hear the trident is a bit quieter on a pistol, and the evo is a touch quieter with the 3 lug mount.

that being said, I got the evo because it was in stock, and a little smaller. if I was to do it all over again and the swr was in stock, I would do it and not look back either.

you seriously cant go wrong with either can.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of each and they are both excellent suppressors.  I cannot tell a difference when I shoot mine.  Flip a coin or just go with the best deal.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
They're both top notch 9mm pistol cans.  Go with the Evo if you like to shoot wet a lot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They're both top notch 9mm pistol cans.  Go with the Evo if you like to shoot wet a lot.

Why would someone "like" to shoot wet?

Why do some people like Guinness?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

they like the filth spraying back at them oh wait, with the safety glasses

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it is the nectar of the gods.

Blech.  Give me Fat Tire or Bud Light.  

More seriously though, some people do prefer a very good wet can as they often shoot wet and like that 'wet 9mm' sound.  You have to admit, a good wet 9mm can is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna have to go with the Trident 9.  Ah yes, that's right.  I already did.  

-X
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
So I quickly did some more research while I was supposed to be working earlier today.  It looks like the Trident tests out at about 5db quieter than the Evo...which is appealing.  However, I did read that the Evo has an index mounting system that allows you to "tune" the point of impact shift.  That sounds useful buuI don't have firsthand experience.  Is this a useful feature or not?  Also, do you know what the baffles are made out of on these two cans?  One review I read mentioned that the blast baffle was stainless on the Evo...didn't see anything on the Trident.  Thanks again for all of the input...these things are just too expensive to be lured into the "get both" solution (which is what I would like to do).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now this was funny and i agree!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So I quickly did some more research while I was supposed to be working earlier today.  It looks like the Trident tests out at about 5db quieter than the Evo...which is appealing.  However, I did read that the Evo has an index mounting system that allows you to "tune" the point of impact shift.  That sounds useful buuI don't have firsthand experience.  Is this a useful feature or not?  Also, do you know what the baffles are made out of on these two cans?  One review I read mentioned that the blast baffle was stainless on the Evo...didn't see anything on the Trident.  Thanks again for all of the input...these things are just too expensive to be lured into the "get both" solution (which is what I would like to do).

I sold an Evo 9 recently to a fellow board member.  Not because I dislike the can -- it's a great can.  I was just raising money for some new title ii toys is all.  If I had it to do over, I'd buy the trident.  Partly that's because I've never owned one, but by most accounts it's a little quieter than the Evo when dry.  But I would not hesitate to buy another Evo 9 if I found a deal one.  They really are both good cans and both are quiet enough to put a big grin on your face.  If my neighbor were to put some rounds through either can, I'd probably think I was hearing him operate a pneumatic staple gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Evo offers different threaded pistons for what you want to run.  They run about $75 per piston.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Evo offers different threaded pistons for what you want to run.  They run about $75 per piston.

I believe the Trident does as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I see where the Trident is slightly larger in diameter.  Can someone comment on which aftermarket sights for Sig P226 allow you to see over the Trident?  Bonus points for links.

Edited to specify Sig host.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I see where the Trident is slightly larger in diameter.  Can someone comment on which aftermarket sights for Sig P226 allow you to see over the Trident?  Bonus points for links.

I don't have a good answer, but I will say that after having done it both ways, you really don't need raised sights for shooting suppressed.  With both eyes open your off eye will show your brain where the target is and you can aim 'through' the can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a good answer, but I will say that after having done it both ways, you really don't need raised sights for shooting suppressed.  With both eyes open your off eye will show your brain where the target is and you can aim 'through' the can.

Fair enough...hopefully that will work but availability of taller sights might still factor into my decision on which suppressor to get (my eyes/brain just don't get the Bindon Aiming Concept of the ACOG and that might be similar to sighting "through" the can).  If there are aftermarket sights that can see over the Trident then I have the flexibility to go either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top