Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2008 5:31:23 PM EDT
Its the official anouncement for the 1st Annual Liberty Rod & Gun Club Suppressor Shoot and BBQ.

On 8-23-2008, In Liberty, TX . . . . .338WinMag is graciously opening his land & range to us once again.

Steel from 25 yards to 440 yards.

Shade trees and woods.

Bring your own bench if you dont want to shoot off the ground.

The Line:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF81XQEz4kA

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT:   No one interested?

Poll added.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
That's awfully tempting right there...a suppressor shoot within a reasonable drive of Austin.  Probably a little bit too far though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Not that far.  How far is it from Austin to Houston?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not that far.  How far is it from Austin to Houston?

3 hours or so, depending on how fast I drive.  But APD just popped me with a ticket so I need to ease off.

The timing is certainly right, it won't be until late August that I've got even a chance of getting away due to the impending birth of a child.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I plan on being there, if I remember.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
if we get real lucky titsworth will bring his metering equipment down and meter our cans.

if he does haqat i want to take up a collection and pay for his gas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
John Titsworth is supposed to be coming down with his sound measuring equipment.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
John is making plans to fly into Houston.

he shoot is 3 weeks away.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Mark.

Who needs directions?

I added some from houston and the grid coordinates in the 1st post in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it after all.  My wife has a commitment she can't get out of so that means I'll be on babysitting duty that day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
can anyone come.  wont to buy a suppressor and would like to hear different ones.  and maybe bring a friend he is building his own
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#14]
come on down.
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Per Einstein:

Magpul Dynamics will be out there and we will be drawing for some Magpul prizes like PMAGS and T-Shirts.

HOWEVER, for the fun of it, we're going to hold a little friendly and simple competition for a Magpul bag of goodies.

1. Run 50 yards
2. Load ONE round into your AR rifle (.223 / 5.56mm only)
3. Engage a 6" steel plate that is set out at 100 yards

Best time wins.

BTW, I own Page 2 biatches.

Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#16]
one week.

i think john is getting new steel.  cost over $600.00.

1928 is coming to town.

this should be  fun day.

remember . . . . this isnt an improved field.  bring mosquito repellent for the evening.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I should be able to come out there. Never been to anything like this sound fun as hell.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll most likely be there.

There seems to be alot of pie lovers here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds fun.  It's a 2:45 hour drive from College Station, which is a little longer than I'm wanting, but we'll see.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
nm

Another free bump.
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#22]
The rain is supposed to stop tomorrow.

So wo days of sun to dry things up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I noticed all of the cars in the pictures are parked on the grass. Will you need a SUV to get to the location? I drive a 4-door Infiniti, will it make it? I have trouble driving on the road at the Impact Zone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#24]
The only vehicle that I know of which has gotten stuck out there during one of the shoots was an Infiniti G35.  Winmag has since filled in that low spot.  

Plenty of folks drive regular cars to the location; it is only a couple hundred yards from the blacktop, although it will probably be slightly damper than usual this weekend.

ETA - SC just had to mention "high water" in his poll to jinx the group.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I made it out there in my Honda Accord just fine... but then again, we didn't have rain prior to the last shoot.  But come out anyways, shooting and mudding is always fun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Well . . . bring rubber boots, I'll be shooting if its wet or dry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Im coming... in the G35, and with rubber boots.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You're focked dude.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're focked dude.

He'll be OK, SC has a freshly re-built winch on his redneck mobile....ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Can someone bring an IDPA timer so we can do the contest?

Thanks!

1st Place Prize will be:

FDE CTR Stock
FDE PMAG
FDE XTM Rail Panels
Magpul T-Shirt

2nd Place gets jack. Only winners go home and #$%* the prom queen. Guys that get Second place in combat are fertilzer.

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I hope you guys enjoy yourselves.  I had fully intended to attend the shoot, and instead suffered the heinous fate of having to work this weekend

Thanks for the invite anyway Sean, I'll make the next one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#32]
the shoot is going well.  a little muddy but no rain.

lots of 4x4s made it ack as did a G35 and an accord.

magpul gave away enough mags and parts that most everyone got something.

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I really wish I was able to attend.

Thanks for the invite though.

Please invite me next year, or to any shoots between now and then.  I promise I'll show next time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Well guys, the shoot is over and it was a success.  Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and as always, the shoot goes on no matter the weather.

Einstien and MAGPUL  were there and gave away lots of PMAGs and a Grand prize that included a CTR stock and PMAGs.  Your truly even walked away with a MOE pistol grip for my next suppressed build.  Most everyone got some MAGPUL swag thanks to Einstien & the MAGPUL training group.

It was HOT-HUMID and WET!  338WinMag had new steel for us and we broke it in.

No RAIN, but lots of Mud & water.  Rubber boots were a MUST for the day to avoid soaked feet.  

A few cars made it in and out wihtout incident.  Those that didn't were assisted by the RedNeck Mobile.

Pig was grilled and the food was outstanding as usual.  Thanks to Murderman for cooking.

For Rifle cans, we had AAC, surefire, Ops Inc. NFA Investments and GEMTECH represented.  Quietest awards (as metered by our ears) go to the OPs Inc. & AAC cans.

180a had an old ABRAXIS 9m can that was the smallest 9mm can I have ever seen.

Thanks to everone that braved the mud, water, heat and humidity.

I plan on doing this again in a few months when it is cooler & dryer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I hope you guys enjoy yourselves.  I had fully intended to attend the shoot, and instead suffered the heinous fate of having to work this weekend

Thanks for the invite anyway Sean, I'll make the next one.

It was a really good shoot, HTR.  It is a shame that you weren't able to make the 3-hour drive to come and slop around in the heat, humidity, and mud.  

How are y'all doing on the 6.8 test report?
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I enjoyed the shoot greatly.  It was a mixed blessing though. One one hand shooting David's AI .338 was great fun... I dont think anyone missed a shot on the 440 or 480 yard target or whatever it was... on the other hand it made me want one and I cant afford it.  Same thing with the Gen 2 Elcan DR... it exceeded my expectations but makes my Meopta seem crappy now.

It did not rain the whole day and the G35 made it to the back.  On the other hand I got stuck on the way out.  Thanks to SC_Texas and 300WM for unsticking me.  At least we have it down to a science now!

I made 3 out of 5 shots standing off hand with my SBR on the 440 yard steel silhouette.  Then I missed 10 in a row when I tried to show someone because it was so hard to see I thought a shadow was the silhouette... I vote for painting it white or focal orange!

It was great fun, great food, and great conversation and I cant wait to do it again.  I just wish we could have figured out how much quieter a SPR/M4 08 model is than an 07 and how much its db reduction is outside.

One notable thing we all noticed about the AAC cans... none of them pinged with blackout mounts.  It was interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I thought a shadow was the silhouette... I vote for painting it white or focal orange!

HAJI ain't gonna be wearing white or Focal orange when he's creeping around the date orchards w/ a dragunov is he?

Just Kidding

BTW:  DevL is right . . . . the 485 steel blends right in with the foliage and I had trouble seeing it with optics and never saw it with the naked eye.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#39]
DevL just needs to pony up and either get his eyes LASIK'd or get a new pair of glasses.  I should have lent him mine again, since our prescriptions are quite close.    It is sort of ironic that he was describing quite specifically the POI shift of my 10x mag'd MRP with the can versus the un-suppressed DOPE'ing that it was dialed in for.

The 440 yard (via the Swaro LRF) steel was indeed pretty tough to see early in the shoot even with mag'd optics, but later in the day after a couple hundred rounds had cleared out the obstructing brush mid range, it was actually pretty visible to me even with the naked eye, or should I say proper prescription glasses assisted eye.

That target has indeed become quite the favorite for the shoots out at Winmag's!  JH's handy-dandy portable shooting bench really worked well yet again; I think that I am gonna buy one of those.

The Elcan DR is definitely one bad ass MoFu!  It has been added to the shopping list along with the PVS-22; too many cool devices to want, too little funds to get them.  

That thermal device was also damn neat; I didn't get the chance to find out who it belonged to, or what manufacturer it was.  If anyone has the details, please let us know.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Had a great time and enjoyed meeting some good people out there. Big thanks to Sean for coordinating the event and John for allowing us to play on your property.

Here are some pics of some of the winners of the Magpul drawing and shots of people playing with the Magpul accessorized weapons.

Thank you Ms. Heather for helping me draw the names.

John, the Grand Prize Winner of a Magpul FDE CTR Stock, FDE MOE Grip, FDE PMAG & FDE XTM Rail Covers,

Ma TOYS... uh I mean "tools of the trade!"

Folks getting to play with the Magpul weapons...

My buddy Mikey who served with me during Desert Storm. He's been back to Iraq four times after that and is about to go back there in three months.

DEVL installing some Magpul XTM panels on his wicked LWRC / AAC SPR-M4 carbine.

Don't forget about the Magpul Dynamics Advanced Carbine course in October 25-26. We don't come to Houston often so take advantage of this opportunity to get some training from guys who have gotten a lot of experience on the other side of the pond. You'll learn what really works and what doesn't work when it's go time.

LINK HERE

Nick

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]
BigCatBigBat's photos

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Sad to have missed that.  Working on the weekend was....not fun.

John, to answer your question about the 6.8 report, I just got an email from Tim W.  He is wrapping up the last page right now....today.

He will send it to me for proofreading and adding more pictures, and then we will get Harrison to make some comments and proofread.  All in all the thing should be posted by next Wednesday.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top