Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 11:30:10 AM EDT
I'm looking for the "best" meaning most quiet one out there for my AR-15.  Not looking to spare any $$ what options do i have?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The quietest I've heard is an OpsInc. Mod 12.

The degree by which I found it quieter was small, but noticeable. Quieter than a Mod 16 or M4-2000 or M4-1000? Yes. Worth the cost difference between the 12th mod and an M4-1000? relative, but not worth it to me.

Hear them yourself.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The degree by which I found it quieter was small, but noticeable. Quieter than a Mod 16 or M4-2000 or M4-1000? Yes. Worth the cost difference between the 12th mod and an M4-1000? relative, but not worth it to me.

Hear them yourself.

+1

If you haven't heard a suppressed .223/5.56mm, do yourself a favor and hear it in person or you might be dissappointed as they are not movie quiet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hear them yourself.

Great post.  I've heard an Ops Inc but I forget the model, and it was probably the quietest I've heard as well. However I did not have a side by side comparison.

I really hope to try one of his cans out at some point in the future.

The M4-2k is quiet too.  I haven't heard the 1k.

My .223 can wish list: SWR Wolverine, Ops Inc 12th, and maybe an SWR Specwar.  I own two AAC cans for this caliber now.  I have not been impressed with the .223 gemtechs I've heard, but I do like their cans in other calibers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've hard that the YHM 5.56 cans are pretty quiet for the size. Price is pretty reasonable too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've hard that the YHM 5.56 cans are pretty quiet for the size. Price is pretty reasonable too.

I'd say they're quiet for the money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The quietest I've used is the AAC SPR/M4.  I shot one on AAC's "SPR-ish" rifle and it was very pleasant.  That was a Mod 07, supposedly the new ones are even quieter.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have shot my Elite Iron D22 side-by-side with a YHM Q/d, and mine was obviously quieter.  I do get more gas in the face with my EI on  AR, but I am sure there are better cans out there by now.  

I also second the notion of trying any 556 can in person, since they are not mouse fart quiet with any standard ammunition.  The sonic crack of the bullet should be the loudest sound you will hear while firing with a quality suppressor, the second most offensive sound will be bullet impact.  That, my friend, is the ends to a means to a proper set-up with all the hoops you will jump through to actually own a suppressor.  I generally only use this current can on a custom JD  Jones upper for my Encore, since it doesn't throw a lot of crap back at the shooter, and there is no port noise like you will see with a semi.          
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you will find that most of the responses for two of the quietest .223 cans are the OPS 12th model and the AAC SPR/M4.  You should really try to hear a number of different models thought because everyone's hearing is different and you may think a different one is quieter.  If you are not in a rush to get one and you don't have access to hear a bunch you should attend the Silencer Shoot in Georgia this September...you will see every make and model there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Barrel length could make a difference as well. When I heard the cans, some buddies were shooting an Ops 12th and Ops 16th at the same time. (12th on an 18" and 16" on a 14.5) I could tell which can was which. The SPRM4 vs. the 12th model I could tell, but only enough difference to notice. Wit the latter two cans, I was at the firing position. With the Ops cans together, I was 50 yards to the rear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top