Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:55:19 PM EDT
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking around trying to find a place that sells covers for silencers and can't seem to find anything... I asked my NFA dealer because he has a couple, but he doesn't remember where he got his from as it had been a really long time.

I want to be able to take my cans off and put them back on without too much trouble and as all of you know, they are friggin' hot! It was pretty simple when I went shooting with my NFA dealer because I used his covers to protect my weenie little hands!

FYI, I have a .223 can and a .45 can that are about the same size so I'm hoping to have one cover that I can use on both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
the majority of mine just stay in place, so sorry cant help. if i need to cool my .223 can off in a hurry i just dunk it in water
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
oven mits work great.
covers
These guys are over seas
Im sure there are local folk in the states.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm fond of my Ov Glove.

I've seen the add for the anti-mirage covers you are talking about. I just can't recall where. (think it was silencertalk)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems like there should be a lot of places out there to buy simple sound suppressor neoprene sleeves...

I don't want to buy from the brits.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not ? everything else is made in china!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
As hot as they get, I wouldn't put a cover on anything but a bolt gun (for mirage purposes).  I usually wait to remove, or use a leather glove... or wait, THEN use a leather glove; cause damn, them things get hot!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out these guys.  They make them for a few applications.

http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/sas.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't waste your money on a 5.56 suppressor cover, you will just destroy it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Check out these guys.  They make them for a few applications.

http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/sas.html

Tony Burkes makes good stuff.  I've got one of his mirage covers for my 30 cal suppressor and it works great.  He makes a closed unit which slips on or a unit which attaches with a velcro closure.  IIRC, he makes them to order and will ask for the dimensions of your cans.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
DoubleTap
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
SomewhereI saw a thread where somebody used electrical shrink tubing.  It seemed to work pretty good, but I back off from the cover idea b/c anything that is a poor heat conductor that would protect my hands also means it will retain heat longer in the can, and that is not something I find desirable.  If I was so inclined to neccessitate removing them while hot I would pick up some of the silicone oven gloves like you see in commercial kitchen supply places.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a guy named Battlecloth or something like that on here a year or so ago.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]
if u want some good gloves.. go to www.thefirestore.com and get some fire gloves.... those will be able to handle the heat, at least they did the last time i had a housefire...

my dept  buys shelbys.. good stuff
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Welding gloves work good as well, and are cheap
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Check these out -- at the bottom of page
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top