BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2007 11:11:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The older I get, the more I shoot, the quieter silencers get, crap 9mm subguns don't even sound loud to me when they don't have silencers on them.  An now the tennitis is starting in my left ear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Steve, how did it sound compared to other .223 cans?

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got to touch mine 3 days ago at the shop
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Heard many different cans at the Hernando MG shoots and none of them sound nearly as quiet as the Mod 7.

Of course, this may have to do more with tone than db's...

Only drawback to mine is that it won't active the shot timer....
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree they are fine cans.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
They are nice cans both on the suppression and the mechanics of the mounting system.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone able to comment on the reduced gas in the face factor of the 07 models compared to earlier units?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you're thinking of the SPR-M4 and SCAR-H SD, which are reflex suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Anyone able to comment on the reduced gas in the face factor of the 07 models compared to earlier units?

I've shot both (I have a mod07).  Different AR15s, but both 14.5" barrels.  The first time I shot the old one (first time ever shooting a .223 can), I wasn't expecting the blast in my face.  It really caught me off guard.  I didn't know that rifle cans did that.  I had to stop a couple of times during one mag to wait out the watering.

I can go through a whole mag on the mod07 without feeling it too much.  Still there, but greatly reduced.  My experiences.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think you're thinking of the SPR-M4 and SCAR-H SD, which are reflex suppressors.

All the AAC 07 .223 models are marketed as having reduced gas in the face including the Ranger II.

I just have no gotten to experience one of the newer units compared along with an older unit side by side in regards to the gas.

I am guessing that AAC just moved the magic pixie dust they use for silencer componants further forward in the housing for reduced back blow.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That's the deal with magic Pixie Dust it can't be seen by the naked eye so it's hard to copy it, must get it from the original source.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's the deal with magic Pixie Dust it can't be seen by the naked eye so it's hard to copy it, must get it from the original source.

You know too much about magic pixie dust...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Getting back on topic (please do NOT hijack this thread), the can I shot a few years ago was not the mod 07 and was not as good IMO- still a good can, but not like this one.  I guess the improvements have come a long way- not sure what they did.

its what the customers did demanding better cans so they had to
I know many Americans hate the $200 tax but honestly without customers would demand cheaper cans letting nothing left for the manufacturers for R&D
progress cost $ ,,but in the end its worth it ,,and finely the price will be right
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Getting back on topic (please do NOT hijack this thread), the can I shot a few years ago was not the mod 07 and was not as good IMO- still a good can, but not like this one.  I guess the improvements have come a long way- not sure what they did.

I know many Americans hate the $200 tax but honestly without customers would demand cheaper cans letting nothing left for the manufacturers for R&D
progress cost $ ,,but in the end its worth it ,,and finely the price will be right

That tax money doesn't go to the manufacturers for R&D...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That tax money doesn't go to the manufacturers for R&D...

I know ,,and i didnt write that
What i mean is that if a can was just a thing you( in the US) could buy (like in many places in Europe) many people would just want a cheap can ,then the  manufacturers would compete on bringing cheap cans to the marked instead of better cans
with the tax there is so little difference (in %)in the end price that (most)people buy the better can even being "a bit more expensive"

imagine going to the super marked and cans were free to buy and you could take it along right away ,,many would be tempted by a cheap can
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Do they still offer an upgrade for those who have the earlier model M42000?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yes, you can send them your M4 2000 and a check for $447. In a few months, you'll have a new Mod 7.

To me, the extra $447 for a rock steady ratchet mount and reduced blowback was worth the extra cost.

Then again, I paid dealer cost on the first can
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you can send them your M4 2000 and a check for $447. In a few months, you'll have a new Mod 7.

To me, the extra $447 for a rock steady ratchet mount and reduced blowback was worth the extra cost.

So the mount is different? Hmmmm....  Is the mount of the 07 762SD new and improved as well?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Steve in VA,

Thank you for giving me the benifit of the doubt.  To be clear,  I own two AAC suppressors, the M4-2000 and the 762SD both are early 06 vintage.  For proof I'd be happy to post a picture with a note written with what ever you care to PM me with so you know I didn't just pull something off the net.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the mount is different? Hmmmm....  Is the mount of the 07 762SD new and improved as well?

The AAC 762-SD mount is the same as the older AAC M4-2000 mount. I have both suppressors.

Carey
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I looked at lots of manufacturers before deciding on the M4-2K, it's a damn fine piece of craftsmanship.

It amazes me how it can make a .223/5.56 sound like a .22 short!

With the can on it also seems to balance my AR a bit better as well as reducing felt recoil (yeah, I know).

It helps when you are dealing with good people like the kind folks at Polite Society, Inc. They made the process easy and wouldn't sell anything that wasn't "on hand".

Back when I got mine the wait period was 90 days +/- I was SO happy when I got the call I could just spit!

A special thanks to Allen and Mark from Polite Society!  

eta:sp
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Another +1 for Mark and Allen---they are THE people to buy from
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#31]
you can also upgrade the m42k 06  to an m4spr.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can?

It is a bizarre business model. They are essentially selling a new suppressor for dealer cost but cutting the dealer out of the equation.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Are they making enough money where they can do this for people at cost?  Jeez.  I am not saying they are overcharging for their stuff.  Whatever they want to charge is fine but it seems that once you have the money it's silly to then rebuild silencers for basically nothing.  

I guess if I could, I would want everyone to have my latest and greatest too.  It makes sense.  Any possible shortcomings in earlier designs won't be there any longer.

It's like Ford vs. Chevy.  Mustang GTs would always be slower than the Z28.  But, a year or two later that year's would be faster than a 2 year old Z28 or close to it.  If Ford could afford it, they'd probably like to upgrade the earlier mustangs to beat all previous Z28s.

But that just sounds ludicrous for most companies.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I suspect the $447 is about what it costs AAC to manufacture the can. This makes the "trade in" unit, the profit.  Where do all those used cans go anyhow  ?

I loved the sound suppression of the M4 2000 but, had problems with POI shifts between shots due to it's (what I consider) flawed mounting system and gas blow back.

The Mod 7 offered a mounting system that eliminates POI shifts between shots and has virtually no gas blowback.

Edited cuz I kant spel
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I suspect the $447 is about what it costs AAC to manufacture the can. This makes the "trade in" unit, the profit.  Where do all those used cans go anyhow  ?

Dealer cost for the 762SD is about $500, how much more do you think the M42K costs? (trick question)

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#37]
What's with the coloring of that suppressor?  Is it titanium or something?

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Dealer cost for the 762SD is about $500, how much more do you think the M42K costs? (trick question)

What I will say is, the "one unit" dealer cost price on the M4 2000 is a lot more than $500 (by a long shot). I would speculate though, that the manufactures's cost to produce the can is about $500.  This is a speculative guess based on the retail value of the can and what you have to pay to get it upgraded. Of course, I could be totally wrong and probably am...

My point is, for me, the upgrade fee wasn't so bad because I got the original can from a C2 buddy. For other people that don't have C2 buddies, the upgrade fee may not be worth paying...

________________________________________________________________________________

As for the pic, the can appears totally flat black to the eye and has no rainbow like discoloration.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What's with the coloring of that suppressor?  Is it titanium or something?

Are you talking about the three prong flash suppressor in HKPDW's pic above?  If so, that's carbon deposited during firing with the can attached.  Look at the "ratchet tooth" section so see what the flash hider metal looks like when clean.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#40]
The new SCARMOR finish often has a prismatic color scheme before it is exposed to high temperatures. The rainbow color effect supposedly goes away after a few trips to the range.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#41]
No prismatic tomfoolery

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
No prismatic tomfoolery

i73.photobucket.com/albums/i220/hkmp5kpdw/DSC00743.jpg

I like that a lot better than the patina look of other M42K'07s.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#43]
No i meant the heated titanium look- oil slick on water effect.

Thought it was neat. The carbon on the 3 prong is easily figured out.

So the prismatic color goes away quickly?  So the 3 prong is even quicker to get that carbon build up?

it's not burnt in, right?  It can be removed?

I'm asking because the color is still there and the carbon already looks very old.  I was thinking the coloring comes from heavy use after looking at the heavy buildup.

Either way, it all looks nice to me!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can?

It is a bizarre business model. They are essentially selling a new suppressor for dealer cost but cutting the dealer out of the equation.

they are also cutting out the tax stamp
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:48:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

So the prismatic color goes away quickly?  So the 3 prong is even quicker to get that carbon build up?

I'm asking because the color is still there and the carbon already looks very old.  I was thinking the coloring comes from heavy use after looking at the heavy buildup.

My Mod7 is new.  There never has been any prismatic/oil slick/rainbow/ heated titanium look to the finish. What you're seeing in the first picture is an optical illusion created by poor lighting, a cheap camera and a photographer that doesn't know how to take photos

Hence, the second photo to illustrate that fact

The carbon build-up that you see on my new flash hider is a result of about 150 rounds fired (Wolf). Again, the photo is deceptive.  The carbon build-up wipes right off with an oil soaked patch.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can?

the are also cutting out the tax stamp
All they are doing is upgrading a can, not creating a new one.  So, they are doing NOTHING wrong so far as the IRC and the Feds.

I know,, it was just that when going from a old to new model ,not only didnt the customer have to pay a little to the dealer, but the customer  could also skip the tax

god for the customer not so god for the dealers ,,and the tax ,,ha should never have been there

I wrote it because Ian wrote "It is a bizarre business model"
The "bizarre" condition  was created by the tax stamp / avoiding the( second)  tax stamp

Without the tax stamp people wouldn't pay to rebuilt a can that was ok ,,they would just buy  another one  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

they are also cutting out the tax stamp

That was the other major factor in my decision to upgrade to the Mod 7.

Factor in the addtional $200 (plus other fees) and BATFE processing time (selling & buying) and it made more sense for me to "upgrade" - compared to selling the original M4 2000, then going through the entire process again to buy a Mod 7.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I too have had POI issues with my 762 and M42000.  I attributed these to the mounting mechanizm.  It may be worth the money to have these upgraded so I can put them back into service.  On my 762SD the suppressor would not lock tight. I had to rest the suppressor in the last available valley.  This slight wobble in my opinion created issues after the second or third shot.  I would see 3-5 MOA POI shift that could simply not be explained.  The M42000 performed a bit better as it would would lock tighter but I still noticed a shift.  

Does anyone have the upgraded 762SD on their bolt gun?  If so, what have been your results?

Regards,
Gary

Here is my SPR...

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Mod7 is new.  There never has been any prismatic/oil slick/rainbow/ heated titanium look to the finish. What you're seeing in the first picture is an optical illusion created by poor lighting, a cheap camera and a photographer that doesn't know how to take photos

Hence, the second photo to illustrate that fact

The carbon build-up that you see on my new flash hider is a result of about 150 rounds fired (Wolf). Again, the photo is deceptive.  The carbon build-up wipes right off with an oil soaked patch.  

No need for a ""

Check out this thread:
www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12150&highlight=patina

ETA: It seems I was wrong: people seem to observe the coloration intensifying with time, not diminishing as I said before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top