Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 8:43:47 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with Yankee Hill's Phantom 5.56 sound suppressor?  I like the one with the quick-detach mount.  How do these suppressors compare against what's out there?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
They are great for suppression but are VERY heavy.  If you care at all about balance or weight look elsewhere but if you just want a quality product at a good price they are excellent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
best bang for the buck IMO
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are great for suppression but are VERY heavy.  If you care at all about balance or weight look elsewhere but if you just want a quality product at a good price they are excellent.

Interesting - in the same price class - they are often compared to the AAC M4-1000.

The M4-1000 is 19 oz and 7.250 inches

The YHM SS Phantom is 20 oz and 6.875 inches

The Phantom is a shorter can, that is only 1 oz. heavier, and FA rated.

You have to pay a LOT more to get into lighter cans, which only shave 2-3 ounces, or 10-15% in weight.

I have never seen a SS Phantom and was not aware they were out yet.  The older Phantom cans were certainly heavier than 20 oz (they claimed 25 oz and it felt even heavier).  To me 20oz is still too heavy.  My M4/SPR is borderline too heavy at 18.75oz and the weight is caltilevered further back than the M4-1000 and further back than the YHM cans.  I would want a lighter can if it was for a barrel longer than 12.5" or so.  For a 16" barrel I would be looking hard at Surefire and Ops Inc.  For some the weight out front is not as big of a pet peeve.  A shift in length of an inch or so and just a few ounces is very noticable on the end of your barrel due to the leverage effect.  It is probably THE most important thing to consider if you are worried about weight and balance of your rifle.  Id rather add a pound to the center of the rifle than 3-4 ounces to the nose.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Haven't had the chance to play with other QD suppressors much, but I do own a Yankee Hill Phantom. Does a good job suppressing, but it's heavy. I figure I could use it as a blackjack if I ever ran out of ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top