Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:02:21 PM EDT
Anyone running an Evolution 40 on a Glock or HK USP ?  Is it quiet with factory loaded ammo ? Have you tried hand loaded reduced loads to check for cycling ? Did you need to change the recoil spring to cycle properly ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The Evolution is a boostered can, it is designed to cycle full power .40 S&W ammunition.

As long as you stay with subsonic ammunition, like most 180gr loads there's no reason to download anything.

That said, most people agree that 9mm is a better caliber to suppress. You may want to look at an Evolution 9 instead, SWRs Trident 9 is another excellent choice.

Here's my USP 9 SD with a Trident 9.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone running an Evolution 40 on a Glock or HK USP ?  Is it quiet with factory loaded ammo ? Have you tried hand loaded reduced loads to check for cycling ? Did you need to change the recoil spring to cycle properly ?

I just submitted my Form 4 for an Evo-40 which is to be used on my G22.
As soon as everything is back you can bet I'll be able to answer all of your questions.
I'm hoping to be one of the lucky guys that has a very fast turn around time from ATF.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]

I love my Evo-40/G35 combo. I was at the 2007 AAC Silencer Shoot a couple weeks ago and was shooting it next to a guy with an Evo-9mm and another guy with an Evo-45. We were all running our cans dry. I noticed that the 9mm was slightly quieter, but it had the same tone/type of sound. The .45 was a whole different story---the tone was different and it was way louder, almost painful.

The biggest difference between the 9 and the 40 is when the bullet hits something.

ETA: I use WWB 180 gr. It is comfortable to shoot dry without earpro. When Al Paulson did a review, he got 132 dB dry and 120 dB wet on a G22. The Evo-9 got 126 dry and 120 wet, and the Evo-45 is somewhere around 141 dB dry.

It makes a huge difference where you shoot. The first time I went out, I was shooting it in a wooded area at a pond bank 20 yds away. There was a whole lot of echo, and the bullet hitting the target was really loud. At the AAC shoot, the targets were about 100 yds away and we were shooting in an open field---the sound was completely different, almost "hollywood."

You don't need to change the factory spring btw since it's a boostered can.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the information. These cans are fairly expensive, so I want to choose wisely. DeGroat has a 9mm can for $725 which I would love to hear. I like shooting the 180 gr bullets in .40.

DeGroat
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
That DeGroat can has an amazing booster system. I heard it at the AAC shoot---it was slightly quieter than mine, from what I could tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top