Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2007 4:18:56 PM EDT
Does anyone have a Suppressor on an AR-10?  Did you need an adjustable gas block?

My AR-10 is a carbine with a stock muzzle break.  Many people who hear it say it is the loudest rifle they have ever heard.

I'd like to have a small lite can that is easy to maitain and is a good value.  I'd also like minimum first round pop.

I don't need the quietest can.

I have no interest in subsonic use.

I have an Outback II on a Browning Buckmark that I like very much.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Link Posted: 3/31/2007 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
AAC 762SD. You gotta have a quick detach type on a gun like that. No real first round pop on rifles.

No maintenance on the 762 either (at least nothing intensive)
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ordered one for mine. Guy I bought my AR10 from had this same can on it and didn't run into any probs.
308 can

Only $400!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]
OPS Inc. makes a wonderful 12th model in .308. Very quiet, reduces felt recoil to just about that of a .223 and increases accuracy to some degree. Mine is on a 24 inch barrel though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#5]
AAC 7.62SD
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just ordered one for mine. Guy I bought my AR10 from had this same can on it and didn't run into any probs.
308 can

Only $400!!

Good can and good value.  Pretyt heavy duty as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
308 can

Only $400!!

I have one of these too on my Ar-10 and it's a damned good can! It's very quiet, no forst round pop and about a 1/2 POI from unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for SAS or ctsurpressors, i dont hink you can find a better deal.

while i have not recived it yet, surpressors to me are only so good, and past a certain point you are only paying for a name,

Tim makes a pretty sweet can, ill post pics of the one that he is making for me, after he sends me the finished photos

it looks just like the knights Mk11 can
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Picking up a DPMS Panther and will soon be sending it to Mark Stannard to thread but basically I'm using the SAS can also.

Hearing it is really wonderful, really tames that noise down alot.

To my ears, it sounds like a ruler slapping on a table using regular ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
how much is aac lowering prices?   ive allways thought they looked coool, but not for how much they were asking, IMO i dont hink they are twice the can that gemtech or SAS are, as the pricing at times would sugest
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
how much is aac lowering prices?   ive allways thought they looked coool, but not for how much they were asking, IMO i dont hink they are twice the can that gemtech or SAS are, as the pricing at times would sugest

Agreed but these other compaines have a lot of overhead to pay for, much more so than a one man operation who does'nt advertise in gun magazines. That's why they cost twice as much. I think suppressor technology is all pretty much the same. The only real differences are types of materials and finsihes used. I know there are baffle differences but not so much that one is going to be a helluva lot quiter than another. You said it best, once you reach a certain level of suppression the difference in price means alot. I don't think a SF suppressor is twice the can an AAC is nor do I think a AAC is twice the can a SAS is. I think they are all pretty much the same in terms of suppression.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Also customer service play a part.  

I had a problem with my TacSol barrel, but I didn't know if it was the threads on the barrel or the threads in the can that were off.  I sent the whole pistol and can to Gemtech.  They checked them both and determined it was the barrel.  They hand delivered them to TacSol who took care of the problem.

I'll pay a little more for a company that I know will be there when I need them.

I'm not saying that noone besides Gemtech stands behind their product.  What customer service experiences have yall had with these other companies?
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Umm we had a purchase of ~15 cans from CTS, several had issues with the threads.  He fixed all cans that had issues no problems.  I think he got himself a little too rushed and tried to please us too much and pushed some small stuff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Sent mines back for threading on Friday and I got it back in my evil hands the next week.

It was all parkerized and I really think he just gave me a new one because I had bumps and bruises on it that should of showed even with parkerizing.

Oh well. It shoots alot quieter I am happy.

Link Posted: 4/2/2007 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I run a Gemtech HVT on my AR10 without an adjustable gas block, and I've encountered no problems.  I had an 18" barrel and a now 20" barrel, and both work great.  Haven't shot the setup lately, mostly due to retarded WA state laws regarding suppressor usage....
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
308 can

Only $400!!

I tested my AR10 with Tim's cans and it ran fine...so fine I've got one on the way.  (BATFE has cashed my check...only a couple more weeks.)

Link Posted: 4/2/2007 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Umm we had a purchase of ~15 cans from CTS, several had issues with the threads.  He fixed all cans that had issues no problems.  I think he got himself a little too rushed and tried to please us too much and pushed some small stuff.

I followed the thread in the Hometown Forum fairly closely and it seemed to me that the only issue with the cans was that the 15 guys that got cans all had rifles with different thread tolerances.  Tim decided that being a little loose was better than too tight.  Of course when he did take the cans back and tighten up the threads some of the guys started complaining that they were now too tight...there is no pleasing some people.

Link Posted: 4/2/2007 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
bj- you're wrong.  sorry.  There were cans where the threads were bell shaped, can's with threads so messed up you couldn't thread it on more than a 1/4 inch, some that had more than an inch of slop.  Tim did do right in fixing it- but several were  tested by both manufacturers and people who thread barrels for a living.  The barrels were fine, cans were not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
bj- you're wrong.  sorry.  There were cans where the threads were bell shaped, can's with threads so messed up you couldn't thread it on more than a 1/4 inch, some that had more than an inch of slop.  Tim did do right in fixing it- but several were  tested by both manufacturers and people who thread barrels for a living.  The barrels were fine, cans were not.

Roger that...I don't remember that being discussed in the thread.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#22]
OK sorry, but it's a tad touchy subject.  He did come through in the end and the product is very good imho.  But don't rush your order!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Tagged for the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#25]
bump for updated opinions
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont know much about it, but trying to fulfill this requirements on a .308 can:

I'd like to have a small lite can that is easy to maitain and is a good value. I'd also like minimum first round pop.

that knocks alot out of the contender spot. Maybe a SASS Can? dont know much about them but i have heard the jive on a couple of forums
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have no experience with the .308 version of the Ops Inc 12th model, but I do have experience the .223 version and the can is very nice.  Mount is rock solid.  Suppression is great.  No gas blow back.

A friend has a .30 12th on his AR10, it as nice as expected.

I set my AR10 up to mount the 3rd model
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/AR103rd.jpg
Damn U Steve. I think my Ar10 will look like that soon. Well one day next year. Looking at the Knights cans.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I have one of Tim's 5.56mm QD cans on my duty M4.

It's a great can and he is a great guy to deal with. He ended up designing the QD/Can to exactly what I wanted. It only adds 4" over what my 14.5"/Phantom FS originally was and makes the rifle comfortable to shoot without plugs. Alternately I can drop the can on my 20" HBAR with a different length QD and regain the full internal volume of the can.

It also helps that Tim is right accross town.

I will probably be turning to him for a 7.62 QD can when I aquire the appropriate rifle.

ETA: Pics after I cooked it a couple times

On my M4

the M4 QD Mount w/collar attached

Closeup on the HBAR

Muzzle

On the HBAR
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#32]
One of the other guys and I in the NV HTF bought cans from Tim at CTS, as well. His is a 5.56 can mounted on the 16" M4, with qd mounts to also put it on his 10/22.
I got a QD type in .30 cal. Mounted on the PARA FAL, it tames the beast nicely, but the can really shines on my M4. My wife loved it so much that she wants one.
We had a bunny shoot and I'll never invite another unsuppressed shooter ater seeing the guns in action.
We also sold another guy on can use.

Very good deal, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#33]
16" ArmaLite carbine
YHM Phantom QD
Standard LaRue lo-pro AR-10 gas block:

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I got one of Tim's (SAS) cans earlier this spring for my AR10.  IMHO he is a great guy to deal with.  My folks still live in Evansville, so I made a trip to see them and while I was there, Tim met me at the range to test a can prior to purchase.  The best thing about his can and my rifle is that there is barely 1/4 MOA POI shift.

It was also nice to be able to get a can without taking out a second mortgage...I also left some Norrell's with Tim and he finish it in FDE for me rather than the usual.

BTW - I opted for the thread-on can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top