Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2006 8:04:28 PM EDT
My GemTech Oasis came in today. I wanted to provide some comparison photos in case anyone was interested.

First is a photo of the Amphibian, the original MK III 22/45 barrel purchased as the Oasis host, and the Oasis:

Second is a photo of just the Amphibian and the Oasis:

Third is another photo in a slightly different layout for better comparison of the barrel lengths:

Last is a comparison of the grip height and styles of the pistol frames:

Other information:

- The Oasis is unbelievably light. The entire pistol/suppressor package is noticeably lighter than the Amphibian. The Oasis feels like a toy it is so lightweight. However, like the Amphibian, it seems very sturdy.

- I have shot the Amphibian extensively. I generally use Remington 36 grain 'Golden Bullet' rounds. I learned that the Amphibian does not always cycle subsonic rounds. I have not fired the subsonic rounds in the Oasis yet.

- The Amphibian is noticeably quieter than the Oasis. I had heard of 'first round pop', but didn't realize what it was until firing the Oasis.

- Craftsmanship on both pistols is superb. I only wish that the manufacturer data on the Oasis was not in white print.

- The operations manuals for both pistols/suppressors are similar, reminding me that I thought I read the two companies were somehow related.

I hope all of you found this useful.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I had thought the Oasis was shorther than that, for such a little length difference I would not be willing to give up the sound performance.

The owner of GemTech was also involved in AWC in it's early days, I believe he still owns a percentage but is not active in it's operation.

The Oasis is a blending of the Pac-lite upper and the Gemtech Outback silencer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I will try to get a video posted so sound comparison can be shown. I need to say that I fired the Amphibian yesterday and the Oasis today, and did not fire them at the same outing. However, I could still tell a difference.

I'll try to record firing both of them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I will try to get a video posted so sound comparison can be shown. I need to say that I fired the Amphibian yesterday and the Oasis today, and did not fire them at the same outing. However, I could still tell a difference.

You cannot show sound comparison without a sound meter.  A video will not work.  Is the Oasis ported like the AWC pistol?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The original Amphibians did not need porting because they had like a 2" barrel, I do not know thier current design.  I have not heard mention of porting in the Oasis so I assume the barrel is short enough not to need it. Someone who knows will chime in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cannot show sound comparison without a sound meter.  A video will not work.  Is the Oasis ported like the AWC pistol?

It may not be a scientific method of showing sound comparison, but is should show a simple comparison of one being louder than the other. I'm not trying to be the Discovery Channel here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The original Amphibians did not need porting because they had like a 2" barrel, I do not know thier current design.  I have not heard mention of porting in the Oasis so I assume the barrel is short enough not to need it. Someone who knows will chime in.

I do not see porting on either. Both seem to have short barrels as stated above.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had thought the Oasis was shorther than that, for such a little length difference I would not be willing to give up the sound performance.

The owner of GemTech was also involved in AWC in it's early days, I believe he still owns a percentage but is not active in it's operation.

The Oasis is a blending of the Pac-lite upper and the Gemtech Outback silencer.

Correction. Dr. Dater was the original founder of Automatic Weapons Company (New Mexico) in 1976. He still currently owns that AWC (FFL/SOT) based here in Boise, ID. This is NOT the same as AWC Systems Technology (formerly of Texas, now Arizona). Although they were partners at one time, they have not been connected on a business level for some time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
When I called AWC about my Amphibian II they said it was not ported... Not sure on barrel length either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I think all comparisons of integral pistols should include velocity reads.  

Who cares if the AWC is quieter if the barrel is 2 inches long?  You'll net like 900FPS with CCI  velocitor if you're lucky.  

I'ld put a baseline for sound comparison between both pistols firing whatever ammo in each that is capable of netting approximately 930-950FPS average.  

The guns weren't made for killing mice.  For any real work they need at least 900FPS with a 40grain bullet.

If federal classic nets 930 in the oasis and you need velocitor to accomplish that in the amphibian, the sound might be equal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Very true.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Who cares if the AWC is quieter if the barrel is 2 inches long?  You'll net like 900FPS with CCI  velocitor if you're lucky.  

I'ld put a baseline for sound comparison between both pistols firing whatever ammo in each that is capable of netting approximately 930-950FPS average.  

The guns weren't made for killing mice.  For any real work they need at least 900FPS with a 40grain bullet.

If federal classic nets 930 in the oasis and you need velocitor to accomplish that in the amphibian, the sound might be equal.

I am relatively new to the suppressor arena, so I don't have the equipment to measure velocity reads (or sound - 1928A1).  

However, I should clarify that I measured the barrels and the Amphibian has a 6" barrel while the Oasis has a 4.75" barrel. I must also clarify that this was my best estimate using the tools I have available since the suppressors cannot be disassembled by the user.

They may not have been made to kill mice, but they will only get use from me for target shooting. I am not on some type of tactical team.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true.  

Great sig line, 1928A1.  I really do wish that I could disassemble mine. If I were to buy another integrally-suppressed .22, I would probably go for the John's Guns suppressor that looks similar to the Amphibian.  I believe the John's Guns suppressor can be disassembled by the end-user.

I guess you learn as you go with these things.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread has me thinking about the follow-up questions that were asked and the remarks made. While I was trying to provide some information on the comparisons of the two suppressed pistols, I apparently only described the physical attributes of the weapon and not enough detailed information on the performance.

Are sound meters and velocity-measuring equipment something that most of you own?  Any ideas on the costs? I'll try looking online to check out the costs. I'd be interested in having such equipment if it's not too much.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
If the Amphibian is really using a 6" plus barrel now then it has to be ported or the gun would require subsonic ammo to be decently quiet.  Nothing wrong with that just a change in design philosopy.  A 4.something barrel it would probably depend on the ammo.  The 3.5" Walther P22 keeps most ammo subsonic but the longer 5.something barrel does not.  

Many people would have velocity chronographs, they cost from $75  on up.
Sound measurement is another story, proper gear can easily cost over 10k dollars.  Your best bet would be to shoot both guns at the same time with a couple independent persons with thier backs turned telling you if gun number 1 or 2 sounds louder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top