Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
Sorry for such a noob question.. Im still learning but is a suppressor the same thing as a silencer? I grew up calling it silencer but why do people call it suppressor? I thought they were the same until my friend last week brought his gun out and when he fired it with a suppressor, It wasnt quiet..... Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Flash suppressor, recoil suppressor, sound suppressor all different things.

Silencer and sound suppressor term can be used.

Nutjobs who worry about precise definition terminology will cry about the word silencer.

What you heard depends upon the gun and ammo.  A silencer can not quiet the sonic boom from a bullet going faster than 1100 fps.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no such thing as a "silencer" in the literal sense of the word. It is a legal term that is used to signify "sound suppressor." Nothing can silence completely the report of a gun. Suppressors work to slow and cool the exploding gases exiting the barrel, and they are very effective provided the bullet is sub-sonic. In this case, the gun typically sounds like a nail gun or loud air rifle. If the bullet is supersonic, the explosive gases will still be suppressed, but the bullet will create a sonic crack as it travels through the air, producing a sound not unlike a .22 lr or .22 short.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to think of "silencer" as the word used by people who don't know what they're talking about, "suppressor" as that used by people who *think* they know what they're talking about, and "silencer" as the word used by people who really know what they're talking about.  

Federal law says nothing about suppressors, they're consistently referred to as "silencers" or "mufflers."  I use the term silencer because I enjoy having the gun store commandos correct me and tell me they're actually "suppressors."
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Webster dictionary says it is silencer, end of story no question about definition.

silencer
One entry found for silencer.

Main Entry: si·lenc·er
Pronunciation: 'sI-l&n(t)-s&r
Function: noun
: one that silences : as a chiefly British : the muffler of an internal combustion engine b : a silencing device for small arms
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like to think of "silencer" as the word used by people who don't know what they're talking about, "suppressor" as that used by people who *think* they know what they're talking about, and "silencer" as the word used by people who really know what they're talking about.  

Federal law says nothing about suppressors, they're consistently referred to as "silencers" or "mufflers."  I use the term silencer because I enjoy having the gun store commandos correct me and tell me they're actually "suppressors."

uh...
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uh...

Made sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Some also call suppressor/silencer/muffler/sound suppressor....a can.

I like to call them sound moderators. really throws some folks off. I also go back and forth between silencers and suppresors ,sometimes in the same sentance.
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I calls em De-Loudeners
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I calls em De-Loudeners

LOL
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Silencers.

Because "Suppressor Tests.com" would sound silly.

AAC's catalog calls them silencers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I just call them "hearing protectors". And now that I have two "hearing protectors", I enjoy shooting even more than I did before.
Link Posted: 12/3/2006 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I calls em De-Loudeners
That's it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top