Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2006 6:01:44 PM EDT
Ok,
Soooo I've been thinking about getting a suppressor and have it narrowed down to a few:
AAC M4 2000 (I hear the wait time on these is pretty crazy...true?)
Gemtech G5 (looks good to me)
Surefire FA556AR (The one I'm put off by the most because of price)
YHM? (everybody tells me that this is hard to beat for the price)
AWC Raider (these look nice, does anybody know anything about them?)

My criteria are:
1. The can must have very little POI shift as I would prefer that I keep sight adjustment down as I will not always shoot with the can on.
2. The can must be QD so it can be switched to different AR's.
3. The can must be versatile. This is so it can be put on carbine, sbr, and full length barrels.  I see some manufacturers make their product based on what style the AR is.  How does this affect my purchase considerations?
4. The manufacturer must stand behind it's product, and the product should have a long expected life.

The usage is general shooting (I like the idea of not disturbing the environment with noise).  Though I would like to buy a good product for all the hassle involved with doing so.  Therefore I would prefer to get the proper product in this category the first time.  The type of feedback I am seeking is from those that have experience with the above products.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If I have said or assumed something in error please correct me.

Thanks,
Boomer

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Boomer I'm gonna grab onto your coat tails on this one... I'm kinda in the same boat. Hope ya don't mind.

David
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good to me :-)

--Boomer
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Curious, I know OPS might not be considered QD to some, but if you have seen some of the videos of an ops can coming off, it is pretty damn quick.

And they seem to meet all your criteria above...?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
YHM will be hard to beat. I like the versatility of the mount. Being able to use their .308 can on the Phantom mount as a backup is awesome. Have read good reviews on those who have went with YHM for that reason and got great results.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Curious, I know OPS might not be considered QD to some, but if you have seen some of the videos of an ops can coming off, it is pretty damn quick.

And they seem to meet all your criteria above...?

I'm with chromeluv--check out the Ops can.  I've seen some that require 20 twists to turn on (still fast because with two hands you can spin it on relitively quickly) and 3 twists to turn on. It all depends on where the step in the barrel is cut. The can that had the three twists was far faster to attach than an M4-2000.  Oh, and it wouldn't come loose like the M4-2000 sometimes can!

BTW, I don't recommend setting up the Ops can to only take 3 twists of the can to turn on.  About 10 should have it completely screwed onto the brake.  

ETA: The only issue I can think of is based on your criteria that it should be able to go from rifle to rifle.  The Ops can comes with a fitting that is barrel specific.  You may have to make or modify fittings for each barrel type.  I had to make one for my M4 barrel so that I could attach the 12th Model that normally goes on an SPR.  Ops will make these for you if you ask or you can have your barrel profled to match an SPR barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote yhm qd

VERY reasonable and GREAT features imho
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
How about cleaning and powder build up requiring cleaning?

G5 and Phantom 5.56 on 16" or 20". One run better on a 16 than a 20? I'd like to move it back & forth between 16 & 20".

I understand cans inherintly make a mess... is one worse than the other?

Hope these are questions anyone else would ask... but didn't think about them.

David

Is the G5 really worth $300 more than a lifetime YHM??
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How about cleaning and powder build up requiring cleaning?

G5 and Phantom 5.56 on 16" or 20". One run better on a 16 than a 20? I'd like to move it back & forth between 16 & 20".

I understand cans inherintly make a mess... is one worse than the other?

Hope these are questions anyone else would ask... but didn't think about them.

David

Is the G5 really worth $300 more than a lifetime YHM??

Look around and see if you can find any threads about baffle strikes on the G5 and then do the same thing for the YHM can.  Then decide.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an AWC Raider and I love it.  It is durable and just as quite, IMHO, as many other cans.  The only drawback is that it is not QD.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
So, for the average weekend range warrior, the extra $3-400 spent on an M4200 or OPs Inc 15th model isn't "really" worth it? I was originally leaning towards an AAC M42k, but after hearing so many reports of the mount shooting loose/point of impact issues, some of the other cans are more appealing. The Yankee Hill seems like an incredible buy for the average shooter. I'm not doing any full-auto beta dumps, or breaching doors, so for the couple hundred or so rounds I put down range each month I guess I would be just fine with the YHM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#13]
So from what I can tell I think I may have it narrowed down to a couple of QD.

The Gemtech G5 and the AAC M4-2k.

Now a couple more questions:
1.  Both of these suppressors use flash hiders to mount.  If I have a bigger than normal barrel behind the flash hider, will either of these have a prolem with it?  (i.e. do the above suppressors go past the flash hider any?)
2.  What kind of experience does anybody have with either company?  I know the AAC "warranty", but what is Gemtech's? (checked their webpage, but could not seem to find it).  Stories would be helpful.

Thanks
Boomer
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
The M4-2000 mount does have a slight overhand recess so the end of the barrel might need to be profiled a bit.

The basics from Gemtech's catalog says there is not written warranty, but repair will be reasonable cost, or no cost if product failed due to materials.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
duplicate post sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top