Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2002 12:13:57 PM EDT
Any of you guys familular with these?
I saw one at a gunshop that was a private party sale and it was brushed nickle and NIB for $450.
Are these any good?
Do they eat ammo or jam every now and then?
The salesman said they jam unless you use good Winchester ammo (that he had for just under $18 per box).
It looks kinda cool and I thought my 12 year old would enjoy shooting it.
I like some oppinions on this before I dropped down the cash.
Thanks in advance.
Andy
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one, but I'd guess that in the 10+ years I've owned it probably no more than 200 rounds have been fired through it.  Reliability has been good so far with 88 grain JHP Remington and 90 grain FMJ (brand?) bullets in handloads using 3.0-3.1 grains Bullseye.

Been a while since I've shot mine, but I'm thinking the recoil was a little sharp since the gun is so small.  A full-size 9mm pistol (Beretta 92, Taurus 92, etc...) has less felt recoil.  Not that the little Colt is a bad gun, but I don't know if I'd shell out $450 for one when there are probably better choices out there.  [I got mine free!!]  
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought my girlfriend a Colt Mustang .380 from a pawnshop, paid $210.00 for it because the slide wouldn't cycle all the way. Took it home, gave it some cleaning, TLC and TW25B, and the thing rocks and rolls now. We've put about 300 rnds through it without a jam of any kind. Accuracy is pretty decent.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice little gun - however, $450 sounds overpriced to me.

It is a delayed blowback, the same as a 1911.  That is: during recoil the rear of the barrel drops down and unlocks from the slide.

As a result, the recoil is tame compared to a straight blowback .380 such as a Walther PPK (which is pretty sharp).   Also as a result, it doesn’t seem to be as accurate as a Walther (which has a fixed barrel).

It’s reasonably reliable, but seems to be a bit ammo sensitive.  

The slide lock has a reputation for sliding out of disengagement during firing.  In an extreme instance of this, the pistol could actually disassemble itself.  An aftermarket locking slide lock is available.  

For this and other Colt .380 parts and services, see: www.colt380.com/ .

For that price, I’d prefer a Beretta, Sig or Walther.   IMHO they’re all better made guns.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]

It is a delayed blowback, the same as a 1911. That is: during recoil the rear of the barrel drops down and unlocks from the slide.

Not quite.  The method of operation used by both the 1911 and the Government .380 is short recoil, not delayed blowback.  www.rkba.org/guns/principles/operating-systems/short-recoil.html

The Colt .380s are fun to shoot and $450, while expensive for a .380, is about the going rate for a NIB model.  Prices have gone up since Colt discontinued them.

My Lightweight Government .380 has functioned well with everything I've fed it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Never owned one, never shot one, it is short recoil operated as opposed to delayed blowback, my only experience is that sometimes people bring them to the local "concealed carry" matches at the range, and usually they are hanging up with some frequency.  Obviously other people have had better experiences, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Never tried the Gov't Model, but own a Mustang PocketLite.  Started by buying a second magazine, and cranked 200 rounds of ammo through it without a problems.  Since then, I fire a box/month of standard ammo through it.

If you can live with the power of a .380 cartridge, its a fine gun, and ought to work well. Although I have never had a problem, I recently added the SM&A steel guide rod to replace the plastic factory bit. I like metal for working bits, where possible.

At around 12.5 ounces, it carries well in pockets, or in an IWB holster worn with shorts. I use it a lot in summer (8 months of the year here).
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not quite.  The method of operation used by both the 1911 and the Government .380 is short recoil, not delayed blowback.  

Oops!

Darn technical terms!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a mustang 380 which is a similar gun a little smaller and for a fun shooting gun for your 12yr old I would say thats a bad choice .380 ammo is expensive for a plinker and a small gun like that isn't as easy too shoot. and another thing is the 380 round is such a poor defense round why bother with it, for $450 get your kid a 9mm or a .45 I was shooting .45's at age 12 and I will tell you I liked my gov model alot more than the .380. Your kid will thank you especially when he gets older.

Why not get a .22 pistol I loved them when I was 12 and still love them now can't beat 500rds for $10!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top