Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2002 6:22:36 AM EDT
I have an upper from one of the Tapco kits. It is a Colt 20" 1/7 preban. I don't really need another 20" upper nor do I necessarily need another preban upper. Was thinking of cutting the barrel down to 16" and making it a kind of Dissapator type carbine. Anyone see any flaws in this plan?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I did exactly what your talking about and it works fine.  I put the upper together with a new bolt/bolt carrier on a new lower I put together with the collapsible stock and the rifle didn't function well at first.  I ended up cutting a coil or two off the buffer spring to get it to function right.  It's flawless now with a myriad of different ammo types.  I think the original problem may have associated with new bolt gas rings in a new bolt carrier.

When cutting that barrel, be careful if it's a chrome lined one.  The chrome lining is platted on and because the chrome is really hard it may flake at the cut or muzzle end.  I cut mine to 16.25" and stoned off the last 1/8 inch or so (using a lathe of course).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top