Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2002 7:54:33 PM EDT
I just finished up the cleaning job on the AR I've borrowed from a relative. It was pretty neglected but not beaten up. I've cleaned it through and through and she's pretty sweet looking.

What would be a fair offer on buying this rifle? It's a AR-15 A2 HBAR Sporter by Colt and I confirmed that it's preban by checking out the serial number.

You can see a picture of it BEFORE the cleaning at http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=98228

-Steel
"Smoke'em if you got'em."
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, it's an HBAR lower with an SP1 upper.  Pre-ban all the way around, no sear block (that's important to some), slab side lower (some don't like that).  I'd say (assuming the upper is Colt also) that you can get $1300-$1400, possibly more.  Pre-bans are pretty cheap in my neck of the woods and on the EE, so I don't think you'd get much more for a mismatched pre-ban than $1400.

Edited to say:  I wouldn't pay more than $1200, but I already have 3 pre-bans, and got really sweet deals on all fo them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking gun.

About $1200-1300, maybe a little less if the cleaning damaged any visible finish.  A little more if it was just a dirty barrel and action, with no visible marks left.

That's fair price NOW.  If you had to clean it, I would personally deduct $200 based on what it would have gone for dirty.

However, if they are willing, you could always offer to reimburse what they paid for it circa 1985--about $500.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait wait wait am I grossly mistaken or is that not an HBAR? Looks M16A1 style to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Uummm? $500...I like that figure for buying.How
Sad part? 1)I don't think he's going to sell it and 2) I AIN'T got the cash.

-Steel
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Appears to be SP1 variant throughout.. second version Sporter A2?.. cannot read in pic.  Is the lower stamped "Sporter Target" or "Match Target HBAR"?.  No dam around mag release indicates prior circa to later target models I believe.

Colt Upper? - check on right side under rear sight drum.. should be "C" in the grooved area directly below.  Bolt Carrier should also have C, MP, or MPC markings if Colt.

Nice rifle!.. without box, $1200+ would be high.. going rate in my area is around $1000 for Exc/mint w/o Box (SP1's - A2's, HBAR's slightly higher).

Hope this helps.
Bravo5-2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top