Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 10:26:18 AM EDT
Hello, I have a 700VLS, a 700PSS, and a 700VSSF
What is the maximum torque, for the bedding screws on these.  I understand that it will vary from rifle to rifle and should be done in increments until I find a sweet spot, but what do I need to stay below?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
BOB:
65 inch pounds is what is recommended.  How ever I have a friend that is a high power shotter that goes up to 80" #s, he does have a McMillen fiberglass stock.  I would not go over 65"#s on a wood stock.
Bill
SIMPER FI
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
55 to 65 inch pounds of torque.  The pillar bedding in the PSS and similar stocks will be fine.  Never put that much pressure on regular stocks (like wood or Steyr SSGs) or that have light weight screws (like the Model 7).  I cracked a floor plate on a SSG by stupidly over doing the torque on one.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems there may be a bit of an argument over this.  

In an article titled “Testing Remington’s New Police Lightweight Tactical Rifle” in the 4/99 issue of Tactical Shooter magazine, writer Jacob Gottfredson states that Remington suggests the screws only be tightened to 43 inch pounds since the aluminum triggerguard may crack.  

65 inch pounds is apparently recommended by Remington for the military M-24, which has a steel triggerguard.

Gottfredson also quotes Norm Chandler (a pretty unimpeachable source) as saying that “… the biggest end result problem of this” [apparently tightening the screws to 65 inch pounds] “is that the recoil of the rifle causes the receiver screws to impact the aluminum triggerguard housing causing a “galling” effect enlarging the screw holes. “

I admit, I really don’t understand the cause and effect that Chandler is talking about.

Interestingly, Gottfredson says that by going from 43 to 65 inch pounds in two different rifles, he was able to tighten the groups by ¼ MOA.

I have no personal views on any of this – for all I know it could be totally wrong!  I just thought I’d run it up the flagpole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top