Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2002 8:24:22 AM EDT
HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS TRIED THE D-FENDER O RING USED TO INCREASE THE STRENGTH OF THE EXRACTOR IN THE AR-15?

IF SO, WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR RESULTS?

TNX,

GARY
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Works like a charm. The same thing can be accomplished with small o-ring of similar size, or the official black-colored M4 extractor insert (instead of the blue one).
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]

I agree.  Heavy duty extractor spring and O-ring/D-ring on all 3 shorter barrels. Work great.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I agree.  Heavy duty extractor spring and O-ring/D-ring on all 3 shorter barrels. Work great.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

GARY
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also use gas line tubing. $.89 at Home depot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
At first, I used silicone O-rings, which take heat better than the black O-rings...
The silicone O-rings won't dry-out, or swell-up from solvents either...

My silicone O-rings are from a hobby shop...They are used in shock absorbers on 1/8th scale RC cars...
They are even blue like the D-fender...

My latest fix on my short barrel gun is an extra-power extractor spring, an extra-power recoil spring, and a heavy steel buffer...
Wit the heavy extractor spring, I needed no other aid with it, no O-ring, or rubber insert...It works fine all by itself, is quite stiff, and you'll have trouble getting the extractor pin in too...  

The springs are from:
Wolff gunsprings...Try:
www.gunsprings.com

I highly recommend them, they have online ordering, and ship right away...I had my stuff in only 2-3 days...

I use this combination in my 7-1/2" barrel Carbon-15 pistol, and it made a HUGE difference in the way the gun shoots and cycles...
I replaced the pistol buffer tube with the tube (only) from a CAR stock.(only 2" longer)
I can't use the stock with the tube, otherwise I'd be making a SBR....

Hope that helps...
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed on Wolf springs. I've got a 11.5" SBR. I've used a D-FENDER and a heavy buffer since day one (which was way before the M4 and the black extractor spring insert) and never had any problems. However, lately I've started having failures to eject, 1 out of every 100 rounds or so. Things must be wearing in after  several thousand rounds So I just got an extra power Wolf buffer spring the other week and it fixed the problem right away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top