Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2002 8:21:07 AM EDT
are these any good I just want a cheap shooter

http://www.kyimports.com/rifle5.htm#Romanian
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one of these. Made in 1957, I've never had trouble with mine. It's pretty acurate with iron sights too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
How is finding parts do most of them interchange with other sks's?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My Romanian SKS will actually outshoot my Russian, which doesn't have a very good bore.

The Romanian barrel is chrome lined, and will tag the 6X6 steel plate on the 100 yard line at the range 10 outa 10 times with iron sights.

I am very impressed with really, quality is very good.

Parts interchangabilty is a little difficult.  Try www.siminov.net for more SKS info.  I like the SKS over the 7.62 AK-47 clones, but that is just my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
What advantages do the sks have over the ak series besides price? or why do you perfer the sks?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Matt_S: I don't think the Romanian SKS is chrome-lined. The 3 I have are not. Most Chinese and the Albanians are. Are you sure yours is chrome-lined?

I have 3 Romanian SKS. One is near-mint and does not go to the range. The other two I built up from "U-Fix-Ems" One has (what looks like) a perfect bore and crown. It shoots 12"-16" patterns at 100yrd. The other has a brite bore but well used with an ugly muzzle crown do to aggressive use of the cleaning rod (I believe). This one shoots 5"-6" at the same 100yrds. Go figure.

The SKS and AK are comparable in quality and reliability with the slight nod going to the SKS. JMHO based on the samples I've seen. I am assuming you are talking about the Semi-Auto ONLY AK's. The Romanian, Yugo, Russian, Albanian and SOME Chinese SKS are mil-spec. as issued weapons. The semi-auto AK's recently imported were manufactured for commercial sale in the U.S. and have the requisite number of domestic parts to be compliant. That means they have not been subjected to the same quality control measures as the mil-surps (at least when they were produced). However, I have owned 4 of the AK semi-autos (3-Roms, 1-Chicom). All have been excellent performers with just a little bit of tweaking.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top