Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 6:05:40 PM EDT
I live in North Carolina and I would like to sell a handgun at the next gun show that I attend.  My question is can I sell to a non FFL as long as he gives me a permit?  Thanks for any help with this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
O boy...I'm moving to NC in a couple months. The more I hear about NC gun laws the more I dread moving.
Dolphin72, are you saying that I have to get a purchase permit from my buddy if I want to sell him a .22 pistol? For the love of Pete! Thats ludi-krus! What the hell do I do with the permit after he gets it from the local Po-leace? I can feel my BP going up.  

Freakin' North Karolina...
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
O boy...I'm moving to NC in a couple months. The more I hear about NC gun laws the more I dread moving.
Dolphin72, are you saying that I have to get a purchase permit from my buddy if I want to sell him a .22 pistol? For the love of Pete! Thats ludi-krus! What the hell do I do with the permit after he gets it from the local Po-leace? I can feel my BP going up.  

Freakin' North Karolina...

Vortex:

To purchase a handgun in NC requires that you go to the local Sheriff's Office and apply for a Pistol Permit.  They don't care what you buy with it, you just have to have one to legally buy a pistol here.  You can usually buy (for a nominal fee) up to five permits at a time.  The SO will usually tell you to come back in a certain amount of time (a week to ten days) to pick them up.  They supposedly run a background check in the interim.  Or at least, that is the way it worked last time I bought a pistol here.

You may then legally buy a pistol in NC.  Don't like it, don't move here and buy a pistol or, buy all you want in VA before you come down.  Ooops, that's right, you have a limit on the number of guns per month you can buy in VA.  We don't have that here.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Theoretically, you should retain the expended permit for your records.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
SF,
 Thanks for clarifying on the permit issue.
 Unfortunately, I have to move. I'm playing tag along with the SO, she says we go...then we go.

OTOH, I will get to meet some NC members who post frequently. I'm hoping to have a BBQ after I get settled and extend an invitation to the NC members who would like to attend.
Oh well, it looks like I'm going to get to know the local Sheriff really well. Thanks again.    
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Vortex:

Admittedly, it is a stupid system which ignores the "Shall not be Infringed" portion of the Constitution, and an arcane process the origins of which escape me.  The system is over 20 years old, since I have been buying for more than that long and the process remains the same.

Most of the Deputies are decent about it, as long as you seem reputable, and I used to just pay $25 and get 5 at the time, which should last a while.

Where are you relocating?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top