Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 2:43:03 PM EDT
Is it possible to build your own 1911A1 .45 Auto. Can this be done as easy as building a AR clone?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
It is possible to build a M1911A1 pistol. You will need some special tooling and, more importantly, some skills at hand fitting the barrel bushing to the slide and barrel, the barrel to the slide. the slide to the frame, the grip safety to the frame and hand fitting the internals parts, such as the trigger, sear, hammer, firing pin, ejector, extractor, etc.JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Man..... but what a rush. Especially when doing trigger work, adding a Beaver Tail or installing a Comp.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You shouldn't need many special tools if you just want to build a GI-style pistol. Most GI parts just slap together loosely. Exceptions would be the front sight, that should be peened in in a special fixture, the grip screw bushings, and the plunger tube. The punger tube definitely needs a special tool to be staked in place.

The good news is that many slides come with sights installed, and some frames come with the plunger tubes & grip bushings in place.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it would be an interesting project, to slowly start purchasing the parts not requiring a FFL, and build my own pistol. What would be the S/N'd part requiring a FFL, I assume the frame?
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
QUIB  go to tanneryshopinc.com  they have all you would need to build a 1911A1   80% frame means just that,,,
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought it would be an interesting project, to slowly start purchasing the parts not requiring a FFL, and build my own pistol. What would be the S/N'd part requiring a FFL, I assume the frame?

Correct.  If your looking for ideas, suggest you check out Brownells.com, though they can be a bit expensive without an FFL discount.

Also suggest you get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen’s “The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual” if you decide to build one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!! I'll have to check out those links!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You dont need a special tool to stake the plunger tube in place, I used two peices of wood to hold a frame and the tube in a vice, then I used a hammer and finishing nail to expand the tube's posts to fit the holes in the frame.  Its not 100% perfect (you have to check to make sure its still stuck on really good whenever you clean the gun), but you dont need a fancy fixture to do it.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top