Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 6:32:20 AM EDT
Do anyone own or have any experience with theses rifles?  I saw them in the Bushy catalog and wonder if they are all they seem.  What is the trigger like? Ergonomics?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The M-17s is a great little rifle, one of my favorites in fact. Ergonomics are good, but learning to change the mags fast requires you to 'delearn' some habits as the magazine is behind the grip. The trigger is not great, not as god awful as alot of people will tell you, but it's basically a military trigger. There is a do it yourself trigger job that involves applying graphite lubricant and polishing some of the trigger surfaces that helps alot.

With mine acuracy has been at least as good or beter then my 20" Bushmaster a2, which is realy saying something about a gun that has an overall length shorter then an M-4gery with the stock collapsed. They are a great gun, especially for the money. (If you look hard you can find NIB M-17s for less then 600) I think that it is suprising that it is not more popular then it is, especially because it's not much more money then a Mini-14 and about 5 times the gun that the 14 is. Also Kurts Kustom does some great things with M-17s, you should check him out if you get one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My close friend has one, and lets me borrow it all the time.  It's a nice rifle to have, and someday I plan on buying one (if ever I become less poor).

A_S is right about everything regarding them...  They are really nice & accurate IF you mount a good scope to it.  They seem to work wonderfully if you have a Tasco red-dot, or a laser mounted to barrel, or some other red-dot scope mounted...  They are considerably accurate at 100 yds!  I don't know about outshooting an AR15, if you have it on sand bags, possibly, but who uses sandbags of bipods on a bullpup?

It works great with Thermold 30rd magazines, but getting fast at reloading takes practice, because ergonomics of mag release isn't bad, just different...  There are 2 hand positions for mag releasing...  They're nice guns overall though.

If you already have an AR15, buy one of these or try one out...  They're fun.  Sometimes if shooting rapid-fire there is a TON of smoke from the ejection port that comes up into your face.  Thus irritating your eyes & nose, but safety glasses help prevent this, and breathing it isn't bad if you winclean ammo.

-iNuhBaDNayburhood
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My close friend has one, and lets me borrow it all the time.  It's a nice rifle to have, and someday I plan on buying one (if ever I become less poor).

A_S is right about everything regarding them...  They are really nice & accurate IF you mount a good scope to it.  They seem to work wonderfully if you have a Tasco red-dot, or a laser mounted to barrel, or some other red-dot scope mounted...  They are considerably accurate at 100 yds!  I don't know about outshooting an AR15, if you have it on sand bags, possibly, but who uses sandbags of bipods on a bullpup?

It works great with Thermold 30rd magazines, but getting fast at reloading takes practice, because ergonomics of mag release isn't bad, just different...  There are 2 hand positions for mag releasing...  They're nice guns overall though.

If you already have an AR15, buy one of these or try one out...  They're fun.  Sometimes if shooting rapid-fire there is a TON of smoke from the ejection port that comes up into your face.  Thus irritating your eyes & nose, but safety glasses help prevent this, and breathing it isn't bad if you winclean ammo.

-iNuhBaDNayburhood

LOL, I have a harris bi-pod mounted on mine. I had a rail installed under the receiver and it works great.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top