Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 3:09:01 PM EDT
I want a revolver, mainly for deer hunting, but for the occasional plinking/carrying.  I haven't picked the manufacturer/model yet, but I think I want a 4 in barrel (minimum allowed for deer hunting here).  In your opinion, which is the better round (keeping in mind price/versatility/recoil)?  I'm a pretty big guy, so recoil isn't all that important.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Agree with Aimless.  Since you specified hunting, I'd go with the .44

Many people hunt with the .357 and I firmly believe that with heavier loads, it can do fairly well out to modest ranges.  But it's not in the same league as the .44 with regard to versatility.  Lighter loads for deer and if you get bored, load up the big 300 grain solids for bear.

I have a new .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter model.  Very accurate and affordable.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
They are both old and well developed rounds that have tons of loads available for them, but the .44 is a far more versitle load.  I have 3 .44 mags and find that I use them a lot more than the .357, but I would still have a .357!

In short, get 'em both!
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Both....get both....can never too many guns!  

But... .44 for hunting if you have to choose.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger Redhawk in either blue(RH-44R+) or stainless(KRH-44+); 7&1/2" bbl. with rings for scoping the gun.

Great setup.
Ruger large-frame revolvers:
www.ruger-firearms.com/rvlarge.html

Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ever think about a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull ???

They're made in a fairly short 5" barrel, DA/SA, come with factory muzzle porting, and have big mushy grips...

The grips and porting tame the .454 down to .44 mag recoil...

I owned one & loved it...
Sold it only to buy an AR...

Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
.440 Corbon Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
S&W model 29  .44 magnum   Hunted with this one for many years.  Excellent gun for deer.

good luck

"do you feel lucky, well do ya, punk?"
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you plan to carry the thing a lot more than you shoot it, I think you'd be happier with a longer barrel in a magnum revolver.  Something like a .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5" barrel would make a nice "all-around" wheelgun.

If you don't handload, the fact that .357/.38 ammo is a good bit cheaper than .44 Magnums or Specials might tip your decision to the smaller caliber.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my thoughts:

If you plan to use it primarily as a hunter, go with the .44 Magnum caliber. A 4-6 in. barrel should be sufficient. Any longer and it starts to become very nose heavy. The Ruger, Taurus or Smith and Wesson types should all be fine.
If you plan to use this very often as a carry gun, get the .357 Magnum in Smith & Wesson, either a model 19 or 66. The 686 would also be good. A 2.5 in. barrel would be perfect for carry. But a 4 in. isn't bad at all and would be a good choice if you choose to carry it holstered on the hip. And the .357 will be plenty sufficient for deer, I took my first deer with one (nice 5 point). I would go with the 4 in barrel for this purpose though.
Now if you plan to hunt and pack equally, get both calibers. A big 44 and a nice carry size .357. **** However, you may want to avoid my advice as it always leads to reasons why you need a new gun, I do myself that way all the time! LOL
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ruger Redhawk in either blue(RH-44R+) or stainless(KRH-44+); 7&1/2" bbl. with rings for scoping the gun.

Great setup.
Ruger large-frame revolvers:
www.ruger-firearms.com/rvlarge.html

This was exactly what I was going to post!  This is the setup I'd suggest as well, but only if its a hunting gun.  The 44 is too abusive for target practice, not to mention, expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top