Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2002 11:03:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
 Doc, i have heard the same thing from other sources.  The likeliest scenario is that it is most likely shielded in a sea container, with some type of detonation device.  How it would be triggered is anyone's guess, i dont know how to penetrate a steel box with radio waves.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]

How it would be triggered is anyone's guess, i dont know how to penetrate a steel box with radio waves.

How 'bout an antenna wired through the top of the container and laid out on the top, then top coated with paint.  Don't know if the antenna laying flat like that would improve reception, but it wouldn't be obvious to anyone looking at the container from ground level.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
One thing I have yet to figure out about "terrorists with nukes".

Why the hell wouldn't they just detonate them ASAP? Not that I would want that to happen, but they must know that they would be hunted down by every LE agency in the US.

It would make better sense to just get the thing as into a large harbor, detonate it, and be done with it.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
if this is true, i am deeply disturbed that the gubmint was so tight lipped. they'd rather let 100,000 die than warn the city. i'd gaurantee, they'd deny any knowledge of it if there was a nuke detonation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]

How it would be triggered is anyone's guess, i dont know how to penetrate a steel box with radio waves.

thats easy,
just use the sea container it self as the antenna
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It could work.

A radio operated detonator doesn't require a decent signal.

In fact, with a high-powered transmitter, and ultrasensitive receiver they could probably set it off w/o an antenna at all.

Then again, all you'd need to do is wire the lid to the receiver. If I can get a perfect TV signal with a pair of scissors, they can use a steel case as an antenna.

The detonator would probably be something simple. Perhaps, it would be set on a specific frequency to await a signal. The transmitter would likely simply generate a sine wave at the given frequency. When the receiver detects the signal, it sets off the bomb.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
An interesting article from the Washington Post that makes it difficult to believe that Al Qaeda can't get a nuke (assuming they don't already have one)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29406-2002Mar2.html

A few highlights from the article:
*Pakistani scientists have attempted to sell their countries nuclear secrets to Arab countries including Libya.

*Numerous confirmed reports of fissionable material having been stolen from former Soviet stockpiles and the fact that many more are unaccounted for.

*Chechen rebels have gotten a hold of nuclear waste material and attempted to detonate a working dirty bomb. Chechen rebels have very close ties to Al Qaeda.

I personally find it very difficult to believe that the vast monetary and worldwide resources of the Al Qaeda network have not resulted in their obtaining nuclear material. I believe the only thing standing in their way is in how they plan to smuggle it into this nation. I would not be surprised if they just floated it up the Hudson or Potomac in a ship and detonated it. I hope to God I'm wrong but the possibility is ever present. Anybody who believes that this war will not incur many casualties amongst our Armed Forces and the civilian population CONUS is in for a rude awakening. This is going to be a long, protracted war on many fronts including the homefront.Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If they do this, then the only answer would be full-scale nuclear retaliation against any country that harbors terrorists or supports terorism.

Turn the Middle East into a Glass Parkign Lot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The big question, and the my reason to be warry about a nuke,  is that if they had a nuke why not use it first.  I mean, wouldn't it have been easier to get it incountry and potentially be more destructive before 9/11.  Security is a lot tighter now and assets are spread out.  Did you notice that Bush and Cheney are not in the same place anymore.   For example, if the terrorists knew when the higher ups in govt were going to be in the same area (state of the union address)a detonation would have caused a massive upheaval in our governmental and civilian structure. As of, whenever, a plan has been implemented to continue on if a large number of the govt leaders were killed or injured.   Logically it does not make sense to use a nuke now, but then again terrorists don't usually think logically.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top